Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTH, first drive on FSD 10.3, on the way to Sofi stadium for the Lions/Rams game I get 2 emergency braking incidents that scared the heck out of my wife and me too if I was willing to admit it. Got to the park and ride and my car is downloading 2021.36.5.1 what the heck is that all about?

I received FSD beta 36.5.2 this morning- downloaded software and started out for a drive. It did not allow me to use Autopilot and screen popped up indicating a new software was trying to download. Quickly returned home, parked and it began downgrading and installing 36.5.1. It seems others are experiencing same thing. What’s up?

I received FSD beta 36.5.2 this morning- downloaded software and started out for a drive. It did not allow me to use Autopilot and screen popped up indicating a new software was trying to download. Quickly returned home, parked and it began downgrading and installing 36.5.1. It seems others are experiencing same thing. What’s up?
You might want to read the 50+ other posts on this subject across multiple threads. There is a new post on this topic every x seconds.

Reactions: FalconFour
I was just notified that 2012.36.5.1 is downloading to my car. That's the first time I've ever seen a version downgrade pushed out. I guess it has to do with the "FSD Unavailable" thing?...
This morning I had the 2021.36.2 (10.3) update for FSD town driving. I went out this morning and gave it a test run in the country away from town driving until I knew how it worked.

THEN

This afternoon there was another update: 2021.36.1 which took away the FSD beta for town driving.

At my age I'll probably pass away before I get the FSD for town again. Tesla might not like me even though my Safety Score is 99%

I'm running 2021.36.5.2 since this morning. After a brief stop (out of car) this afternoon, multiple autonomous driving functions stopped working thereafter (and are still down). I currently have no FSD, no autopilot, not even any cruise control. I texted another Tesla friend to complain and he says the same thing has happened to him. We're both driving Model 3s in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Manually powering off the car (first time ever) for 5+ minutes did not resolve the issue. Will try again tomorrow.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I just got a downgrade to .1 … makes me think they’re pulling it until they can get the issues fixed. Shoulda let it bake for one or two more days.
I saw that a software "update" to 2021.36.5.1 (from 2021.36.5.2) was available to me this afternoon, but I was away from home and wary about such a downgrade, so I didn't install it immediately. The notice is now gone from my Tesla app. TeslaFi reports that there are 3.5x as many cars on .1 than on .2 right now, and in another thread, somebody with the FSD beta reported that accepting that version caused the FSD features to disappear and the safety score to reappear in the Tesla app. Thus, I suspect that .1 is intended for non-FSD vehicles, and .2 for those with access to the FSD beta, and some sort of glitch on Tesla's servers caused .1 to be sent to some or all FSD beta testers in error.

Reactions: fablau
I saw that a software "update" to 2021.36.5.1 (from 2021.36.5.2) was available to me this afternoon, but I was away from home and wary about such a downgrade, so I didn't install it immediately. The notice is now gone from my Tesla app. TeslaFi reports that there are 3.5x as many cars on .1 than on .2 right now, and in another thread, somebody with the FSD beta reported that accepting that version caused the FSD features to disappear and the safety score to reappear in the Tesla app. Thus, I suspect that .1 is intended for non-FSD vehicles, and .2 for those with access to the FSD beta, and some sort of glitch on Tesla's servers caused .1 to be sent to some or all FSD beta testers in error.

I had your same exact experience. I was at the restaurant and got notification of the 2021.36.5.1 update. I couldn't do it at that time, then I drove back home and the update disappeared.

Also, had a lot of issues today with this new 10.3 FSD version. I just sent my feedback below to the FSD Tesla team:

---------------------

Thank you for giving me access to the FSD Beta V10.3.

I used it today, and I must say that there are some issues that came up which made my driving VERY unsafe, mostly on the highways by simply using the regular Autopilot. I am not sure if this last version of the software (2021.36.5.20) has any strange bugs, but here is what happened today:

1. This morning, I drove FSD on a regular road for a very short trip and had no issues. It worked pretty well.

2. After that, I took a long trip on the freeway from my place to the UCLA for 65 miles on the 405, and everything worked great as usual. I was in autopilot with “Navigate on Autopilot”.

3. When I exited the freeway at Sunset Blvd, I disengaged autopilot (so FSD was off), and I kept driving manually. After a few minutes, it gave me a collision warning even though I had no car in front of me. And after a few minutes, that happened again. Then I decided to perform a soft reset just to see if that fixed anything wrong that maybe was going on temporarily. Then I left the car parked for a few hours.

4. I drove again, in manual mode, and again the car gave me a couple of false-positive collision warnings (a had a car in front of me, but it was several hundred feet in front of me, so, it was clearly a false positive).

5. Then I took the freeway again from UCLA back home, and I couldn’t use the autopilot because it gave me several warnings such as to “take control immediately” several times, without reason. The traffic was mild and I had no cars in front of me. There was no reason to give those warnings. I disengaged several times, and then I decided to drive manually. After about 10 minutes, always on the freeway and while driving manually, the car stopped suddenly by hitting the break hardly like if I was going to crash someone in front of me, whereas I had no cars in front of me at all! That was very extremely scary and completely unexpected. It was actually very dangerous because if I had a car behind me, it could have easily crashed on me because of the sudden stop. I then exited the freeway, parked, and reset the computer again. Then I disabled the brake assist and collision warnings to be able to get back home in complete manual mode without being bothered by false positives.

6. When I got home, I tried a full reset, but that didn’t change anything. Now, if I try to drive around in FSD, doesn’t allow me doing so (it says “Auto steering not available”) and the collision warning keeps giving me false positives every 2-3 minutes or so, in a very random fashion. Very annoying.

I am very disappointed by what happened today. I never had this kind of problem with previous versions, and I can’t understand why since I have barely used FSD today (just at my described point 1 above).

I hit the “record” button several times today when most of the above events occurred, so you should have a record of that. My Model Y VIN number is this: XXXXXX207021

I guess either there are some bugs to fix on your system, or something got corrupted in my local installation that is now giving me false positives and other related issues.

What would you suggest doing? I see no way to fix this until you release a new update.

I look forward to hearing from you.

---------------------

From what I read above, other people had similar issues of phantom breaking and false collision warnings. Is this particular version of FSD causing all this?!

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
They pulled 10.3 - hence the downgrade. I'd guess the multitude of AP and TACC unavailable errors plus the phantom emergency braking that happened to multiple people (see the forums) was enough to warrant pulling it and downgrading folks to the last known good build. The .2 build just wasn't safe as-is.

I suspect they'll be hard at work finding and eradicating those bugs, then will push a new build out once they figure out where that was all coming from.

Reactions: edseloh and fablau
I finally got it too but the FSD won’t engage. The visualization is there but it won’t actually engage.

According to this guy it looks like I’m not alone:

This is a beta so things like this happen. I waited a long time to get this I can wait a little longer.

Thank you for posting this, I had the same exact experience today. This is a bad, buggy version. It's pretty shameful they released such a dangerous version of it. As I said, I got a strong phantom breaking that could have caused me an accident.

They pulled 10.3 - hence the downgrade. I'd guess the multitude of AP and TACC unavailable errors plus the phantom emergency braking that happened to multiple people (see the forums) was enough to warrant pulling it and downgrading folks to the last known good build. The .2 build just wasn't safe as-is.

I suspect they'll be hard at work finding and eradicating those bugs, then will push a new build out once they figure out where that was all coming from.
Considering the number of people that had these issues from the get go one wonders how they weren’t aware of them already?

Considering the number of people that had these issues from the get go one wonders how they weren’t aware of them already?
It's exactly what Elon wrote in his tweet. Tesla has a fleet with a variety of hardware. It's not possible to test new firmware on every permutation. That's the whole point of having a wider closed beta.

It's exactly what Elon wrote in his tweet. Tesla has a fleet with a variety of hardware. It's not possible to test new firmware on every permutation. That's the whole point of having a wider closed beta.
They sell 4 cars, it’s a lame excuse.

There’s zero reason this build should have been allowed out with such an obvious issue that endangers everyone on the road.

If a school bus rear ended a Model Y that AEB’d, it would be game over for Elon. It’s sloppy work on Tesla’s part and all it will take is one accident with the wrong other vehicle to permanently stop public betas.

I’m all for agile development, but this is insane and reckless for the stock.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it has anything to do with configuration like Elon says, since we've seen people with the same issue across a huge breadth of cars, like all of them. It probably wasn't caught because it doesn't happen right away all the time. I took my car on FSD drive shortly after getting 10.3 and there was no issue, so if I'm internal QA I would have signed off on it after testing it for 15 minutes.