Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it all depends how soon you need the vehicle....I’m comfortable waiting 5-9 weeks as my current lease is over 12/2/20

Since you have a VIN with L, it’s definitely a 2020 model built in September...there are plenty left over just sitting in lots

the only issue I now have are the wheels...those photos being passed around look like the new 19” rims and there is no way I’m going to pay $1500 for them (even if they increase range a few miles)

At this price point, I’m more about aesthetics than 10 miles

I asked and was unassigned the L VIN - the MVPA and VIN is no longer in my account.

I'll wait for an M VIN, and hopefully they have the refreshed components.

Yeah, those 19 Sportwheel version are something like a downgrade (in looks anywayz) from the old.
I like them so much that I even have them on our Y.:( 20200904_161417.jpg

Windshields must be laminated. Most automotive side and rear windows are tempered glass, a very strong single layer that, when struck hard enough, or even just sharply at a corner, will break into thousands of little cubes of glass.
So your saying they’re only changing the side glass right?

The windscreen, top, and rear glass are already laminated.

I asked and was unassigned the L VIN - the MVPA and VIN is no longer in my account.

I'll wait for an M VIN, and hopefully they have the refreshed components.

Yeah, those 19 Sportwheel version are something like a downgrade (in looks anywayz) from the old.
I like them so much that I even have them on our Y.:(View attachment 598288

I'm in a similar boat to you. I placed my order for a model 3 last Monday. I have paid the £100 but not completed the order - I have paused at the stage of uploading my drivers licence so as to hold the order until the new M VIN number is available for the 2021. When you contacted Tesla to unassign your order, did they give any indication when the 2021 might be available? I called them yesterday and am waiting for a call back. The reason I ask is that I'd like to complete my order, guarantee the new VIN, but not wait too long and end up at the back of the queue :) Guess no one has the definitive answer to this, but if you know anything it would be fab ;)

I'm in a similar boat to you. I placed my order for a model 3 last Monday. I have paid the £100 but not completed the order - I have paused at the stage of uploading my drivers licence so as to hold the order until the new M VIN number is available for the 2021. When you contacted Tesla to unassign your order, did they give any indication when the 2021 might be available? I called them yesterday and am waiting for a call back. The reason I ask is that I'd like to complete my order, guarantee the new VIN, but not wait too long and end up at the back of the queue :) Guess no one has the definitive answer to this, but if you know anything it would be fab ;)

I put in a deposit in Sep knowing I would not be taking delivery until Dec. I fully updated my profile. When my SA did their initial contact they gave me the option to take immediate deliver or wait until the next batch which happened to be DEC. I request a mid-dec delivery date and the SA said that would work out perfect.

At the time the only update I was hoping for was chrome delete.

I confirmed my order with a business lease company on the 25th September. I contacted them on Monday and I haven’t had a reservation number assigned as yet, fine by me as ideally I’d like a refreshed model and it looks like they haven’t placed the order as yet. I don’t think anyone, we’ll anyone on this forum, has been assigned a VIN in the UK to arrive this quarter as yet. I don’t know if that means all Uk (RHD) cars will be 2021 versions? There isn’t any inventory, but I suppose there could be RHD 2020 versions sitting in the docks still waiting to be shipped? Like you say, I don’t think anyone has the definitive answer as yet. :)

Guys, how about we try to contact our salespeople at Tesla and cross-check the ETA for the delivery of the new M3 version?

Sorry for replying to a week-old post, but I applaud your optimism that
  1. You'll be able to actually reach your sales advisor, and
  2. They will actually KNOW an answer to your question, much less give you a straight answer.

2. They will actually KNOW an answer to your question, much less give you a straight answer.

100%

In several other threads there are experiences of the customer telling the sales person about changes in the pipeline and the sales person having to google on their smart device to learn about what the customer is talking about.

You know, just like a traditional dealership with traditional sales people. This is why it pays to be an informed consumer.

Reactions: zerb012345
When should we be seeing an updated online config?????
Not for a while, I don't think. It's super weird they're (probably) going to start shipping folks a car they didn't exactly order. I see your order date is similar to mine so I'll be curious to see if (and when) they tell us we're not getting what we saw in the pictures. Due to that part of me is worried I won't get the refresh at all.

When should we be seeing an updated online config?????

I'm still relatively new here but here is what I think is going on....

It is a new quarter, so they are building cars that are going to other markets. It takes time for those cars to get to their respective markets. While those cars are in transit they will try their best to deliver every last car without these updates to US customers (and probably all markets). When those big shipments of cars get close to their destinations, I think that is when we will see an update to their website.

I'm speculating here, but seems like they have a month, maybe 6 weeks of somewhat dead time each new quarter which works out well for this change to take place.

I must be a lucky one then because my Tesla rep not only replies to my email and text messages within 10 minutes and even after 7pm, but also sent me a confirmation in writing that if I want to they will postpone the delivery till the time the refreshed M3 shows up in their inventory.

Reactions: Raechris and Pemple
Lol. I tried to reach mine about everything going on and should I expect a 2020 or a 2021 and no response. Gotta love it!

I must be a lucky one then because my Tesla rep not only replies to my email and text messages within 10 minutes and even after 7pm, but also sent me a confirmation in writing that if I want to they will postpone the delivery till the time the refreshed M3 shows up in their inventory.

It's always a mixed bag. When I purchased last year, it was actually a rush decision as I was replacing a wrecked car. 98% of my decision was thanks to a friend of mine who was an early adopter (and extraordinarily knowledgeable about everything cars). It was a couple of looks at the store and a test drive, a little bit of cost analysis, and then I placed the order. I was so busy at work that I really didn't have time to do much research. Initially I started working with a brand new employee as my sales advisor, but quickly switched to his trainer (at my request) as I didn't have the time to wait for the rookie to learn. He got back to me quickly a couple of times and I had to pester him a couple of times, but overall, there wasn't much to be done.

In retrospect, the delivery experience was sadly lacking (they REALLY need to spend more time going over the car), but I learn better by doing, so I am mostly happy at this point.

I'm still relatively new here but here is what I think is going on....

It is a new quarter, so they are building cars that are going to other markets. It takes time for those cars to get to their respective markets. While those cars are in transit they will try their best to deliver every last car without these updates to US customers (and probably all markets). When those big shipments of cars get close to their destinations, I think that is when we will see an update to their website.

I'm speculating here, but seems like they have a month, maybe 6 weeks of somewhat dead time each new quarter which works out well for this change to take place.

Bingo! In the first half of the quarter, Fremont production focuses on exports. They will switch to North America production in the middle of the quarter.

Tesla should know by now that the power of the web/social media means these things don’t stay quiet for long (as we’ve all seen). The vast majority of would-be buyers are likely still in the dark re:changes however it’s always best to get out in front of it and control the narrative IMO.

The vast majority of would-be buyers are likely still in the dark re:changes however it’s always best to get out in front of it and control the narrative IMO.
I think some are and that is why Tesla is trying to sell inventory. I mean what are they loosing? Nothing. People who are in the know will wait a few weeks to order and people who are not will order anyways. Nothing to loose if they wait 1-2 weeks.

I ordered my M3LR in the UK yesterday. I am hoping for a M VIN/2021 refreshed model.

I haven't uploaded my driving licence yet. Is that what I have to do before I'm assigned a VIN? My order said it would be delivered approx November, which is only next month.

What should I do if I want refreshed version?

I think some are and that is why Tesla is trying to sell inventory. I mean what are they loosing? Nothing. People who are in the know will wait a few weeks to order and people who are not will order anyways. Nothing to loose if they wait 1-2 weeks.
As we have seen on this forum there may still be a lot of potential customers, who actually prefer the chrome finish and the old central console look and functionality, so I wouldn't be so sure that everybody wants to wait for M3 refresh, let alone the annoyance of waiting.