Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, and Tony for responding. I placed another order. My 7/13 19" blue/cream order still blank. New 21" blue cream order showing October.(Not the Feb-March that was quoted)
FWIW, you have the same configuration as my January order, which has been blank for months. As for the optimistic October EDD for your 21s, my Plaid order on 7/6 initially said July EDD even though the website configurator said August when I placed my order. And as with all things Tesla, that too went blank a couple of days later. So I’m assuming the August delivery for my Plaid order will be as accurate as my original order’s March delivery date. Which is to say not very.

Reactions: kj71109 and Drew-MS
Well I was surprised this morning to a VIN. Ordered 1/5/21 Blue/Black/19s. Switched to 21s on 7/5/21. EDD 13-16 Aug. I’m not going to get that excited. I’ll believe it when I take delivery. Only THEN will I sell my 2021 (Dec of 2020 delivery) MSLR. (Blue/White/19s 6600 miles on it if anyone is interested 😝)
Ughhh don't tease by starting with 19s... just say 21's! I got super excited for a second

They exist. But they're super rare. Which I'm ok with. What I'm not OK with is Tesla giving a car to someone when there's Jan orders with the same config. This is some major BS. I'm calling tomorrow. Prob not going to get any info. Texted my SA again with my displeasure, first one where I've expressed any real disgruntled feelings.
I hear ya, I ordered in February. So yeah, I'm trying not to lose it over here. I can't even imagine those who ordered in 2020...

When a batch of 19" wheels arrives in Freemont, do we believe they go on a Plaid order in the backlog, including 1-week old orders, before assigning them to a a 7 month old LR order? If true, my early Jan order #RN11435xxx may take over a year to deliver. I've considered switching to Lucid, but the backlog there probably is high too.

Reactions: donandersonjr
Is anyone else concerned that a new Plaid order has a Sept-Oct delivery estimate, regardless of configuration (including the unicorn 19” wheels) while all LR orders show Feb-March? Seems like they are planning something, possibly to start up MX production between those dates, so those of us that don’t get cars by end of Q3 are probably looking at another six month wait.

When a batch of 19" wheels arrives in Freemont, do we believe they go on a Plaid order in the backlog, including 1-week old orders, before assigning them to a a 7 month old LR order? If true, my early Jan order #RN11435xxx may take over a year to deliver. I've considered switching to Lucid, but the backlog there probably is high too.
That is almost certainly the case given how they have managed production so far. The only hope is that there aren’t too many 19” Plaid orders, which could very well be the case. If they are up to 2,000 cars a week by the time those 19s arrive in quantity, shouldn’t take more than a couple of weeks to get rid of the Plaid backlog.

The bigger worry is will they start filling $85k LRs before $80k ones, let alone the people that get an additional $2k off for pre-refresh orders. You would think they couldn’t possibly do that, but then they’ve already proven capable of some pretty bad treatment of customers.

That is almost certainly the case given how they have managed production so far. The only hope is that there aren’t too many 19” Plaid orders, which could very well be the case. If they are up to 2,000 cars a week by the time those 19s arrive in quantity, shouldn’t take more than a couple of weeks to get rid of the Plaid backlog.

The bigger worry is will they start filling $85k LRs before $80k ones, let alone the people that get an additional $2k off for pre-refresh orders. You would think they couldn’t possibly do that, but then they’ve already proven capable of some pretty bad treatment of customers.
Our order fees and price locks age like a fine wine in their logistics group... 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond and cwanja
There is actually a very simple explanation for Tesla's decision here:

Mr. Musk knows I'm a retired pilot and into everything "space". Rumor has it Tesla reads our posts here to include my [NOT] very flattering opinion of the corporate culture at the moment and he decided to send me a [butt] rocket; hence no need for a car which he sent to "hotsoup". His rocket is not my cup of tea.

P.S. still BLANK (of course)
I am taking delivery in about 20 minutes, 6 days after order submission. Maybe that's a record for LRs.

• Disagree
Reactions: doubleshot
Is anyone else concerned that a new Plaid order has a Sept-Oct delivery estimate, regardless of configuration (including the unicorn 19” wheels) while all LR orders show Feb-March? Seems like they are planning something, possibly to start up MX production between those dates, so those of us that don’t get cars by end of Q3 are probably looking at another six month wait.
No you're not. Talked to my SA today. That Fed/Mar window is for NEW orders. Current orders...19s included...will start to flow in August

The bigger worry is will they start filling $85k LRs before $80k ones, let alone the people that get an additional $2k off for pre-refresh orders.
They have no incentive to do this. They aren't strapped for cash (they made $1B in profit last quarter and paid off a bunch of debt) and don't need that kind of bad press. In addition, the folks doing logistics only know about the parts needs, not the pricing ahead of those parts.

They're most concerned with building the configs they can make most efficiently (read: cheaply) and in the largest quantities. The Model S is a significantly more complex car to build than the 3 or Y (and the Model X is even more so), so the line is going super slow right now. Repetition is key to finding and resolving inefficiencies and speeding up production.

I understand how frustrating this all is. My original reservation was placed on 02/28/2010 and was delivered until 12/15/2012. I waited almost 3 years for my first Tesla. Initial production was at a snail's pace with a couple dozen cars coming off the line at first. But things started getting faster and faster, until the wait times went from years to months to weeks. And that was the old Tesla that didn't have the manufacturing expertise and knowledge they have now. Not withstanding the parts shortages that are out of their control, I think we'll start seeing some improvement in output soon. Especially after the stoppage, which likely resulted in some retooling pause to prevent the issue from reoccurring.

I am taking delivery in about 20 minutes, 6 days after order submission. Maybe that's a record for LRs.
On rare occasion, I'm a glass "half full" kinda guy; with that in mind, realistically expecting delivery around Thanksgiving, Florida hurricane season will be history, I'll likely get a 2022 VIN, AND have a new Tesla delivered in a record 10 months from order date. We may now BOTH "earn" records...

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
No you're not. Talked to my SA today. That Fed/Mar window is for NEW orders. Current orders...19s included...will start to flow in August
I understand the Feb-Mar window is for new LR orders, and Sept-Oct for new Plaid. But that must mean they aren’t planning any MS production Nov-Jan, presumably to start up MX production, of which they have been taking orders since last year that are still outstanding. So if you don’t get your MS by October…good luck.

Reactions: Jet007
I understand the Feb-Mar window is for new LR orders, and Sept-Oct for new Plaid. But that must mean they aren’t planning any MS production Nov-Jan, presumably to start up MX production, of which they have been taking orders since last year that are still outstanding. So if you don’t get your MS by October…good luck.
Yes, I agree. I've seen MX plaid order estimates being advanced to September for at least 1 person, which means they're ramping up MX production line. And even though SAs might say the Feb/Mar is for new orders only, there's no way they'll be able to fulfill ALL orders made right before they changed the estimates to Feb/Mar. They'll definitely prioritize delivering earlier orders (hopefully) but if you're like me, who ordered in the last 1 month, there's a good chance you won't get the car until next year.

Reactions: Danlbrau