Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the red smoke alpharex tail lights. I just realized though, is that demo car red smoke or is it jet black?

That's jet black

I contacted T Sportline and asked about their Alpharex tail lights asking exactly the same question, and they responded saying that the color scheme should resemble exactly what was done for the aftermarket Model 3 tail lights. I think in the picture you posted, the owner added a smoke tint to those tail lights (I could be wrong about the smoke part, but it's definitely the 'jet black' model). Will make an order of those today and will report back when it arrives. I have a Plaid late 2021 and there is a debate about the wiring, but truthfully I doubt that it will be of any issue

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 00.43.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 00.43.08.png
    809.2 KB · Views: 63
Are these also AlphaRex ? I have same brand on my 4runner 👍
Yep! Alpharex

Apparently they will be available in 2024 but can already be pre-ordered there

They used the same photo for both models (jet black and red smoke) so i needed to make sure they were actually different lol

They should work 100% on the pre-refresh Plaids as well (2021 and early 2022), since the wiring is apparently the same

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
It helps to consider the big picture.

The panamera taillight is just a taillight. It doesn’t incorporate both a high voltage charge port and a motorized charge port door.

The S tailight is more complex. Installing it, as part of the high voltage system is not something a lot of people will be willing to DIY. There isn’t a massive network of shops willing to do the work either.

Porsche owners are also notorious for paying big dollars for unique parts. They’re a large and well established supply of shops who will swap the taillights. Almost any owner could do the swap themselves if they wanted.

Lots of model S parts being made in china, yes. Not a single taillight in 10 years.

Well in 10 years there hasn’t been a tail light revision. China is good at imitating, not innovating a new taillight.

I see both sides I guess time will tell.

My guess is that the aftermarket taillight would have a cut out for the older charge port and would not involve modifying it.

It would be plug and play. New style, old port.

Well it took a full year, but as predicted. China did it!

I hope someone will post these installed soon with some info on the charge door.

Yep! Alpharex

Apparently they will be available in 2024 but can already be pre-ordered there

They used the same photo for both models (jet black and red smoke) so i needed to make sure they were actually different lol

They should work 100% on the pre-refresh Plaids as well (2021 and early 2022), since the wiring is apparently the same

In my experience the China smoked taillights are typically way too dark, I wish they would just do a clear lens without the smoke tint. I would also recommend resealing them, as on the Porsche forums we see them get condensation quite often.

Another downside to China tails is they typically have a weird start up animation that really cheapens the car, but the Asian market seems to appreciate.

Reactions: misc3r
In my experience the China smoked taillights are typically way too dark, I wish they would just do a clear lens without the smoke tint. I would also recommend resealing them, as on the Porsche forums we see them get condensation quite often.

Another downside to China tails is they typically have a weird start up animation that really cheapens the car, but the Asian market seems to appreciate.
Agreed

A Japanese manufacturer released a set of tail lights with a different design

Either red or Smoke

But personally i find them hideous when they’re on