Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does CA consider parking lights? How do they differentiate from DRLs? For me, if set to auto, during the day, the “eyebrow“ lights will illuminate brightly, no headlights. I’d call this a DRL. With it set to parking it will dim the DRLs slightly and turn on the fog lights (if enabled) and amber front side lights (parking lights?). I figured rear taillight outlines would also illuminate, but they don’t unless headlights are on. I think this makes the car look more aggressive with illuminated fogs widening the front end view.

Good questions. I did some web searches but didn't want to dig through DMV handbooks. So here are some non-authoritative answers:

* The specs for parking lights, daytime running lights, high and low beam headlights, fog lights, turn signals, brake lights, and tail lights should be consistent across U.S. states, regulated by NHTSA.
* The original purpose for parking lights was to make a parked car visible on the side of the road without draining the battery overnight, back before electric streetlights were common. I've used them while waiting in a parking lot for "curbside pickup" takeout food, esp. to turn off the headlights while in the parked car.
* Their secondary purpose was to make the car's boundary visible while driving at night if a headlight burns out.
* Parking lights are often built into the turn signals, maybe the same lights on lower power, at least before LEDs.
* I gather that most but not all states allow parking lights on while driving only as a supplement to headlights.
* Daytime Running Lights are (always? often?) headlights on low power to make the car more visible during daytime. Required in some counties, first in Sweden, now including Canada. Extreme latitudes.
* Front fog lights are mounted low, pointed downwards, and sometimes yellow to help you see the road better in bad conditions like fog, snow, dust, and rain. They're supposed to be used with headlights but in fog, the headlights can reflect back at you, making visibility worse.

• Informative
Reactions: sundaydrive
Updating from 2022.12.1 to 12.3 broke my Sentry mode live camera viewing. Fails to connect repeatedly after maybe 1 good image. Always prompts to refresh. Hoping 12.3.1 fixes it.
I was going to mention this, and yes the .1 update fixed this for me. It’s amazing how fast Tesla is with these updates I love it.

Just installed 2022.12.3.1
I guess there’s no additional bottom bar customization for legacy cars. It felt like Elon said yes then told me no
😂

View attachment 796280

Maybe read the thread, this was answered a few posts before your post by cwanja 😂, see below

Press and hold like you are going to re-arrange / configure the dock icons. That will show the "legacy icons" to be added back to the dock.

They, for whatever reason, are not available when you open the app tray.

Makes sense to me: they are available in the climate menu, in much larger versions, and much easier to access (swipe up from bottom zone vs aiming for the (...) button.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja
Does anyone's car visualization seem way laggier than before (seems to be WAY lower FPS) when doing things like moving from stationary view (opening doors, frunk, trunk) to driving view? Occasionally it'll be fluid but also occasionally it'll be a stuttery laggy mess.

So the release notes state that you can add defrost, wipers, etc. to the bottom bar. But when I hold icons down, I only get 4 new controls available to add: both defrosts, heated wheel, and left seat controls...that's it. No wipers?

So the release notes state that you can add defrost, wipers, etc. to the bottom bar. But when I hold icons down, I only get 4 new controls available to add: both defrosts, heated wheel, and left seat controls...that's it. No wipers?

When I first played around with the install, I only saw the left seat control. It may have been because no one was in the passenger seat. I moved the left seat control to the "dock" and later the right seat control was also on the dock without me doing anything else.

For the wipers, I have no idea. It was there for me.

Anyone on 12.3.1 seeing the 'phone always connected' issue we had years back? Bluetooth grabs phone, card is up, looks like you can hang up, you can't, you are talking to your self. Reboot, and/or re-pair of phone do nada. Ugh... Told car to 'disconnect' phone, see if it's any better time to time, but ISTR this needed an update to fix (had this in the X way back when, this is the Y that has it now...).

Updated yesterday afternoon :)

1650976433634.png

The couple of UI tweaks are welcome, an extra couple of short cuts, the location of north toggle on the map. The browser is definitely more perky, I'm a '21 with the older Atom, and it feels at least twice as fast (which is still about 1/4th the speed I'd like :p)

Also, I just got 4.8.0 of the app - had to do the "force update" (i.e., search for app, open details, update available).

Reactions: Relayer and BnGrm