Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds great. I was on the road this week and it was my first attempt at autopilot at night. It was quite discouraging, I had to figure out how to cancel auto-highs every time I turned it on. I was on 2022.36.x. I had the .40.4 update waiting but didn't want to risk an update away from home on a road trip. I'm now eager to hit the road again with 2022.40.4...

I have 2022.40.4.1 pending but am too afraid to update before others report no issues.

On 2022.36 currently and driving through a neighborhood in the evening is MISERABLE because the car keeps flashing the brights, it looks like I'm flashing at other drivers since it'll be high beams on for just a second before turning off, like it can't decide whether they should be on or off.

I have 2022.40.4.1 pending but am too afraid to update before others report no issues.

On 2022.36 currently and driving through a neighborhood in the evening is MISERABLE because the car keeps flashing the brights, it looks like I'm flashing at other drivers since it'll be high beams on for just a second before turning off, like it can't decide whether they should be on or off.
I went to 40.4.1 Thursday evening and used the car all day yesterday without issue. Now you have n=1 data point...LOL

I have yet to try auto-brights over my 2 week ownership so far. I guess I should give them a try but I won't know how bad they were before.

I went to 40.4.1 Thursday evening and used the car all day yesterday without issue. Now you have n=1 data point...LOL

I have yet to try auto-brights over my 2 week ownership so far. I guess I should give them a try but I won't know how bad they were before.
now you dont have choice as with the last 3 updates autohighbeams and autowipers always come on with AP. :D

I was offered earlier but not upgrading. I am on the last version that supports radar for AP and TACC. I may never upgrade. I can use AP over 85 mph which is handy on some Texas highways, even more so since at 85 mph according to the car is only about 83-84 mph true.

I can also keep my following distance of 1 which is super handy in traffic. If set for 2, it is enough people try and cut me off. Not to mention it is smoother in heavy traffic than my 3 which is solely the cursed TeslaVision. The S accelerates more smoothly and sooner than the 3 which seems to need the gap to increase too much before finally taking off and then it accelerates too hard and needs to break as a result.

Curious to see though how 2022.40.4 works out for everyone.
Totally agree. I’m still rocking 2022.20.8 which was/is the last version that doesn’t disable my radar, keeps my following distance of 1, and adds the mandatory use of auto wipers/high beams when enabling any version of autopilot. I hope to be able to keep that version until whatever new version goes back to those parameters, though I’m pretty sure that’ll not happen. I’ve had five newer versions downloaded, the latest being 2022.36.6. None of the announced features in subsequent software has piqued my interest enough to overcome the limitations as I see them.

Honestly, I could care less about the "gimmicks" like a light show. I would they would get the "basics" spot on before adding any other features. Don't waste programming time on non-essential things until you got the basics right.

For example, work to eliminate phantom braking, improve TACC, raise the limit for AP to 90 mph (Texas highways) as we have speed limits that are 80-85 in some areas and the speed is optimistic on ALL my Teslas. So I set TACC at 85, I am getting run over by a lot of people on some highways as it is actually about 83 mph true. Following distance needs to be down to one like the radar cars. If I have it at 2, lots of people cut in front of me on bumper to bumper traffic.

Fix the GD horn button on the S. Supposedly the hardware is there to enable pushing the airbag in the center of the wheel on the model I have but it still hasn't been enabled. It is a safety hazard. Fix the GD gearshift controls on the S to something that works better and you can do WITHOUT looking at the screen. I should be able to shift totally by tactile feedback without EVER taking my eyes off the road and know I'll have the right "gear", and get it 99.9999% of the time. I can't tell you how many times I swiped for reverse and it didn't engage reverse. Almost had the nose clipped on the S a few times in a blind intersection situation.

Stop de-contenting under the guise that nobody needs the features you are removing. Spend some time improving the UI which I think has been more steps backward than forward over the past year. Seems like the focus has been the icing on the cake rather than making a better cake. Stop lying about FSD's capabilities. I rode in a friend's car who is on the latest beta and it still isn't ready for prime time. We took it on some roads near my house where I have challenges because of the crappy gear shift (blind intersection) and it clearly failed that situation by a mile.

They got my S about 90% right and our 3 about 85% right. Unfortunately, 5-10% of where it could be better is horrendously bad for me in a lot of situations. Bad enough that I'll clearly shop the competition when I am in the market for another car.

Driving in the rain at night this weekend, and the autowipers are horrible. If there are street lights or approaching cars they work fine, sometimes. If on a dark road with no ambient lighting and no cars coming in the opposite direction, I had to manually initiate wipers every time. Even with ambient lighting it did not wipe fast enough, or did so erratically enough for me to go to manual wipe mode. I purposely let the rain obscure my vision on a dark empty road to see how long it would take for the auto wipers to turn on until I could not see any longer. This vision-based auto wiper system is not only annoying it’s also a safety issue. I’m on 2022.40.4 and don’t know when this changed but it is not good.

Driving in the rain at night this weekend, and the autowipers are horrible. If there are street lights or approaching cars they work fine, sometimes. If on a dark road with no ambient lighting and no cars coming in the opposite direction, I had to manually initiate wipers every time. Even with ambient lighting it did not wipe fast enough, or did so erratically enough for me to go to manual wipe mode. I purposely let the rain obscure my vision on a dark empty road to see how long it would take for the auto wipers to turn on until I could not see any longer. This vision-based auto wiper system is not only annoying it’s also a safety issue. I’m on 2022.40.4 and don’t know when this changed but it is not good.
Been like this for me since 2018…

Are these new features in 2022.40 for playing podcasts?
  1. It now remembers what you were playing and where you left off, so you can properly resume on the next drive.
  2. The skip forward/backward (circular arrow) buttons on the screen now display the new time position into the stream. So jump back then forward for a non-destructive way to read the position. (Skipping using the thumb wheel does not show this info.)
Nice!
FYI @PianoAl
And at least on my old S, the skip buttons on the steering wheel are mapped to the 15’ jumps fwd/back when listening to a podcast. Much more useful.

And at least on my old S, the skip buttons on the steering wheel are mapped to the 15’ jumps fwd/back when listening to a podcast. Much more useful.
Yes for listening, but it doesn't read out the time position. That's OK. The readout mainly matters to be able to resume from there another time or device, and the former is less critical since you can now get back in the car and resume from there if you don't change the audio source.

Yes for listening, but it doesn't read out the time position. That's OK. The readout mainly matters to be able to resume from there another time or device, and the former is less critical since you can now get back in the car and resume from there if you don't change the audio source.
Sorry, did not mean much more useful than what you explained. I meant the new use of the buttons is to me much more useful than the old behavior of the buttons (ie skipping podcasts).

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer