Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without USB-C ports and wireless phone charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my M3LR on the 23rd December without the wireless charger and USB-C. I logged a service request and have just had Tesla come out and retrofit this morning. Definitely worth logging a service request if you haven’t done so already
Can I just ask - do the ports that they've fitted support data? Or just power/charging?

I picked up my M3LR on the 23rd December without the wireless charger and USB-C. I logged a service request and have just had Tesla come out and retrofit this morning. Definitely worth logging a service request if you haven’t done so already

Similar situation to me, I didn't get the text pre delivery about missing USB so I logged a service request not long after I got it, they came out last week after postponing the original visit a couple of days due to 'problem with the part'.

Wireless charging now works and I plugged in a USB drive with some MP3s on it to test and the USB was recognised by the media player and I oculd play the MP3s so I guess data works?

Part numbers on the service invoice in case any one is interested...

service usb invoice.png

Wireless charging now works and I plugged in a USB drive with some MP3s on it to test and the USB was recognised by the media player and I oculd play the MP3s so I guess data works?
Yep, if you're plugging a USB stick into one of those USB-C ports and you're seeing the MP3 files then its carrying data - thats very positive news. Out of curiosity, on your car with V11 - were you missing Sonic and Cuphead from the Arcade section when you collected the car? If so, do they now appear with the USB ports installed?

EDIT: Interestingly, the parts for the retrofit on the service estimate for my appointment later this month are different to those you got put onto your car.., hmm...

I wonder if there's an escalation/someone I can email at Tesla who can clarify this stuff. I really want that USB data functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, if you're plugging a USB stick into one of those USB-C ports and you're seeing the MP3 files then its carrying data - thats very positive news. Out of curiosity, on your car with V11 - were you missing Sonic and Cuphead from the Arcade section when you collected the car? If so, do they now appear with the USB ports installed?

EDIT: Interestingly, the parts for the retrofit on the service estimate for my appointment later this month are different to those you got put onto your car.., hmm...

I wonder if there's an escalation/someone I can email at Tesla who can clarify this stuff. I really want that USB data functionality.
oh yeah forgot to mention about Sonic. V11 dropped shortly after I got my car and I did the update and Sonic and Cuphead (and something else?) were missing from the arcade. I figured it was because no USB ports present.

As part of the install, the tech said he updated the firmware as part of the procedure but it was the same version anyway. Sonic didn't appear. oh well at least I have working ports now.

hmm it would be interesting if people who have had a retrofit posted their part numbers to compare

1656787-30-A is power only.
1755200-00-B is power and data.

As far as I know they are electrically compatible, as in they use the same connectors, so there should be no reason to install one over the other besides the chip shortage problem. It might need coding to your car (to have data on the front), or it might not.

Reactions: charltones
I initially raised a service request in December and that got cancelled. But seeing the recent activity here, I raised another yesterday and today I've received a text asking me to provide my phone number, address, and if I have suitable parking. I'm guessing this means it won't be cancelled.

So here's the difference between the two parts:

port differences.jpg

The German forums have a huge thread on this, from reading that it seems that all of the cables are actually present in the car (including that required for data) - its the hub as shown above that is the only different part. It seems however that the parts are ordered per your VIN number, and the 'big Tesla computer in the sky' decides what your car should have as part of the retrofit.

It also looks like someone has tried getting hold of a data-capable version - and sure enough plugging in a USB stick then works. What they don't get however is Sonic, Cuphead and the other game that requires a USB controller. I'm guessing thats because Tesla have 'decided' that you're only getting power and not data, and so won't release it to your car's VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Can't remember where I saw it but the USB hub type is a coded option on the car. You would need to get Tesla to change the gateway configuration for the car to acknowledge that you have the data-capable USB hub installed.

Ranger came this morning and fitted the ports. He confirmed he was fitting the 'A revision' and it wouldn't have data. He did suggest that swapping it out for the 'B revision' at a later date was possible and a very quick job. Told me they didn't have stock of 'B revision' and that I should try asking in a few months.

Reactions: DM206433
Yep same here - ranger installed mine today. It seems I got version A - nor sure how you can tell - although I tried to play Apple Music from my iPhone and it did not play in the car
It would normally play music via Bluetooth… did you switch that off in an attempt to go via a cable? You can test by plugging your memory stick or drive into it. Or try a game controller.

Yep same here - ranger installed mine today. It seems I got version A - nor sure how you can tell - although I tried to play Apple Music from my iPhone and it did not play in the car
I don't think Tesla support iPod/iPhone integration so the only way is to use Bluetooth. To test if you have data you would need to plug in a USB flash drive and see if it is detected.

I was told when I picked up my car a few days before Christmas that I’d be phoned to install the missing bits. Took a punt on a service booking, which SC cancelled telling me they’d call in January. After seeing this thread I tried another service booking, which seems to have survived a couple of days, so looks like might be a success!