Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered mid day on weekday & it arrived just over 32 hours later. Wow! Reason is I’m located about 40 miles north of TParts and I live 15 minutes from Los Angeles’s main UPS distribution site. Looking forward to install, flac hi def music via usb-c and some game controllers. Lot less fuss than dealing with glovebox.
Installed and works. I bent two of the metal receptacles which the plastic clips of interior trim pop in to. This prevented the interior trim from fitting flush. I was able to easily remove the bent receptacles. Now The interior trim snapped in to place and was not loose despite two clips not being fit in to a receptacle. If I wanted, I could buy a few of the metal receptacles and add them back.

Installed and works. I bent two of the metal receptacles which the plastic clips of interior trim pop in to. This prevented the interior trim from fitting flush. I was able to easily remove the bent receptacles. Now The interior trim snapped in to place and was not loose despite two clips not being fit in to a receptacle. If I wanted, I could buy a few of the metal receptacles and add them back.
Were these the top ones? I had the outer top ones bend out while pulling trim but was able to use a small screwdriver tip and push those little wings back flush before putting the trim back on. The smaller the better as you need it to be the size only of the bent part but be able to flex back in on the gaps (push lower inside to then come back to flush).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Were these the top ones? I had the outer top ones bend out while pulling trim but was able to use a small screwdriver tip and push those little wings back flush before putting the trim back on. The smaller the better as you need it to be the size only of the bent part but be able to flex back in on the gaps (push lower inside to then come back to flush).
Good tip for others who will be installing soon. One bent receptacle was outer top and second was a bottom clip. I’ll try bending mine in to shape for a future revisit of my installation.

I am all for you standing behind your product. But please do not mislead people in to thinking that it will not void their warranty if it does cause an unforeseen issue to their car. I have processed over 10,000 warranty claims in my lifetime for various automotive dealers and can say with 100% certainty any modification made that can be proven to have caused an issue will void your warranty. Tesla even outlines this in their Warranty manual. So if your product is not certified for use by Tesla and is installed by the end user this is 100% a valid cause for concern. View attachment 786847
the scary part here is the 2nd highlighted paragraph... if Tesla is hit by a cyber attack and your car is bricked... it's not covered.

At least that's how I read that

Some people reported issues using usb-c hub with TParts data module. Here is a success story. I used a premium 5 in 1 Anker usb-c hub without issues. I plugged it in. Inserted a Xbox controller (wired powerA brand)in one usb-a and a flash drive in the other usb-a. In my second usb-c port I plugged in another powerA xbox controller using a usb-a to usb-c converter. I played the racing game in two player mode. Attached are photos with model # of usb-c hub.

Attachments

• E2BC38C4-F5F8-47F4-B56E-4C4EF34A8E0D.jpeg
    E2BC38C4-F5F8-47F4-B56E-4C4EF34A8E0D.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 1,164
  • AB44578C-18E9-4F11-A983-F4EB32EBB2C3.jpeg
    AB44578C-18E9-4F11-A983-F4EB32EBB2C3.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: CdnElec
I took delivery of a 2022 M3LR AWD in December 2021 and discovered they had removed data from the 2 center console USB-C ports, despite the owner's manual saying they had data. Later they revised the owner's manual with a tiny little mention how some us got tooled.

I found out how to get around this by reformatting the 128 GB Tesla-branded USB stick in the glove box to do both videos and music:

Yep, I checked and see that Tparts sells it for $2 as a separate item...

Privacy slide cover

I guess you are supposed to install the privacy cover first so Tesla won't see you installing the console USB data module. ;)
the day I took delivery I used black electrical tape on top of a paper circle. It's just too creepy to think about someone getting their kicks out of watching you doing things in your car with your significant other. :cool:

Reactions: jpelaston
Hi,

Thank you for your valuable feedback!

We just noted this issue as we were not able to test the compatibility of USB hub from all other brands. We have added a note on our product page to disclose this information to all customer!

TPARTS
Upon further looking into this issue, I found that the TParts data module is compatible with USB hubs. The issue or challenge is the dual port USB hubs and the design or layout of the TParts data module in relation to the Tesla USB panel it attaches to. The USB ports of the TParts data module do not allow a dual port USB hub to seat or attach well enough into the module when attached to the Tesla console panel. Attached are pictures I took of the TParts data module with and without the exterior console panel attached. Based on my observation, without the panel attached both power and data function. However, with the panel attached, either only power will function or neither power nor data will fuction, as again the ports on the Jowua hub in the picture aren't permitted to seat well enough from the TParts module with the panel attached to provide power or data.

Additionally, I used the LED on the Jowua hub to provide a visual indicator of working and non-working scenarios.

@TPARTS - Are there any plans to potential redesign the ports on the data module to enable dual port hubs to work with the module?

Attachments

• 20220331_130447.jpg
    20220331_130447.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 20220331_130332.jpg
    20220331_130332.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 20220331_142308.jpg
    20220331_142308.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Informative
Reactions: CdnElec
Upon further looking into this issue, I found that the TParts data module is compatible with USB hubs. The issue or challenge is the dual port USB hubs and the design or layout of the TParts data module in relation to the Tesla USB panel it attaches to. The USB ports of the TParts data module do not allow a dual port USB hub to seat or attach well enough into the module when attached to the Tesla console panel. Attached are pictures I took of the TParts data module with and without the exterior console panel attached. Based on my observation, without the panel attached both power and data function. However, with the panel attached, either only power will function or neither power nor data will fuction, as again the ports on the Jowua hub in the picture aren't permitted to seat well enough from the TParts module with the panel attached to provide power or data.

Additionally, I used the LED on the Jowua hub to provide a visual indicator of working and non-working scenarios.

@TPARTS - Are there any plans to potential redesign the ports on the data module to enable dual port hubs to work with the module?
I see you have the 8bitdo wireless adapter attached, have you gotten it to work? I tried getting it to work and the adapter lights up but it won't connect to my xbox or switch controller for the life of me. It also doesn't matter...I guess. Since none of the games included have controller compatibility but I'm wrong on that front.

I see you have the 8bitdo wireless adapter attached, have you gotten it to work? I tried getting it to work and the adapter lights up but it won't connect to my xbox or switch controller for the life of me. It also doesn't matter...I guess. Since none of the games included have controller compatibility but I'm wrong on that front.
No, I wasn't able to get the 8bitdo wireless adapter to function with Tesla Arcade and I had it paired to a 8bitdo Pro 2 controller. However, I did find that these controllers, which I used on my previous Model 3 work flawlessly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MBF7FN1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GC3F5F5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3G5L1TZBXW2I3&th=1

They pair to a simple 2.4Ghz usb dongle. In my testing, I was able to play all of the games in the Tesla Arcade without issue using these controllers.

I recently ordered a pair of Jowua controllers and will be testing it with their glove box dashcam hub which they recently brought to market.

3 Port USB Dashcam Hub

I, too, am also in search of an OEM module with data compatibility and capability. Hopefully, if the Jowua glove box hub works out I will be able to use that in concert with or until I located a OEM module.

Last edited:
No, I wasn't able to get the 8bitdo wireless adapter to function with Tesla Arcade and I had it paired to a 8bitdo Pro 2 controller. However, I did find that these controllers, which I used on my previous Model 3 work flawlessly

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MBF7FN1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GC3F5F5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3G5L1TZBXW2I3&th=1

They pair to a simple 2.4Ghz usb dongle. In my testing, I was able to play all of the games in the Tesla Arcade without issue using these controllers.

I recently ordered a pair of Jowua controllers and will be testing it with their glove box dashcam hub which they recently brought to market.

3 Port USB Dashcam Hub

I, too, am also in search of an OEM module with data compatibility and capability. Hopefully, if the Jowua glove box hub works out I will be able to use that in concert with or until I located a OEM module.
Damn, thank you for all the information! You're really putting in a lot of work here. I'll keep you posted if the OEM module works with the 8bitdo adapters.

I have the 8bitdo adapter plugged in to a hub in the glovebox, and have had no issues connecting my Xbox wirelessly. You do have to make sure it is for an Xbox One and not the newer one for the Xbox Series X/S though. It works great with Sky Force, haven't tried with anything else though.

I have the 8bitdo adapter plugged in to a hub in the glovebox, and have had no issues connecting my Xbox wirelessly. You do have to make sure it is for an Xbox One and not the newer one for the Xbox Series X/S though. It works great with Sky Force, haven't tried with anything else though.
Yeah, I tested that out and it worked but my goal here is to run data through the module we purchased hahaha. Otherwise, I would have never purchased this thing.

Reactions: Firocity
Yeah, I tested that out and it worked but my goal here is to run data through the module we purchased hahaha. Otherwise, I would have never purchased this thing.
Make sense, my goal was only to get the wireless controller working without the need to disconnect and reconnect the flash drive. I am worried that if I had the module sticking out of those USB's I would manage to forget and break it off.