Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were Tesla what else would you do? The factory making the projector headlight is probably maxxed out. The other headlights they have plenty of and work as well.
I would be transparent about it instead of trying to be sneaky and pull a fast one on customers.

Different ways Tesla could have handled it:
A) let people accept old lights with a credit and take delivery sooner, or wait longer for new lights.
B) ship cars with old lights but offer a free retrofit later when supply is resolved
C) slowed production to match the supply of headlights coming in
D) limit the new lights to Performance or Performance and LR only moving forward, and offer credit for outstanding orders that will be receiving old lights.

What if Apple ran out of A15 chips for the iPhone 13 and started shipping them with the A14 from the iPhone 12 without telling anyone? Most people wouldn’t notice a difference in day to day performance with the old chip. Does that mean that’s OK for them to do? Should people accept that?

Seems like it was a call as to what smaller feature changes they feel that they need to disclose. Perhaps they underestimated how much some people actually care about Premium versus Global headlights.
Part of the issue is they show the all the model 3 trims on their ordering page with the global headlights, and they do look significantly better (I know this is only my opinion). Just because some people don't notice, doesn't make it trivial for others. You are legitimately not getting the car you thought you ordered based off of their own images.

They actually have the images for the Model Y correct, the long range has the premium lights and the performance shows the global version.

EDIT: not directing my frustration at you, just venting in response to how they are handling it.

I would be transparent about it instead of trying to be sneaky and pull a fast one on customers.

A) let people accept old lights with a credit and take delivery sooner, or wait longer for new lights.
B) ship cars with old lights but offer a free retrofit later when supply is resolved
D) limit the new lights to Performance or Performance and LR only moving forward, and offer credit for outstanding orders that will be receiving old lights.

What if Apple ran out of A15 chips for the iPhone 13 and started shipping them with the A14 from the iPhone 12 without telling anyone? Most people wouldn’t notice a difference in day to day performance with the old chip. Does that mean that’s OK for them to do? Should people accept that?
Absolutely 100%. This felt like a total bait and switch in my opinion. I did contact Tesla (Several different service center employees as well as Tesla Customer service) and they all pretty much told me…. Sorry you had bad luck there’s nothing we can or will do for you. They keep resorting back to “you signed the agreement and we never promised Matrix lights…. Just led lights…. So you received the LED lights.” Didn’t offer anything. Even if they offered me some sort of credit it would have been better than telling me you have *sugar* luck, sorry. We even had a service member try to tell me the reflective and the matrix lights were the exact same thing… so no need for a retrofit anyway. Ugh, love my car but not loving the company / service. 😒

Absolutely 100%. This felt like a total bait and switch in my opinion. I did contact Tesla (Several different service center employees as well as Tesla Customer service) and they all pretty much told me…. Sorry you had bad luck there’s nothing we can or will do for you. They keep resorting back to “you signed the agreement and we never promised Matrix lights…. Just led lights…. So you received the LED lights.” Didn’t offer anything. Even if they offered me some sort of credit it would have been better than telling me you have *sugar* luck, sorry. We even had a service member try to tell me the reflective and the matrix lights were the exact same thing… so no need for a retrofit anyway. Ugh, love my car but not loving the company / service. 😒

Don't forget to opt out of the binding arbitration agreement within 30 days of "signing" the Purchase Agreement.

Reactions: Kowalshy
Don't forget to opt out of the binding arbitration agreement within 30 days of "signing" the Purchase Agreement.
Thanks for this. Learning so many new things, lol. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the timing but I’m going to assume since I got my VIN number way past 30 days from the date I ordered back in March…. They should still honor the opt-out? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for this. Learning so many new things, lol. There seems to be a lot of confusion about the timing but I’m going to assume since I got my VIN number way past 30 days from the date I ordered back in March…. They should still honor the opt-out? Anyone have any experience with this?

When you place an order, you are signing the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. (Page 1 of 1)
30 days start from signing the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement T&C. (5 pages)
The agreement to arbitrate is on page 2 of 5
On the last page (5 of 5) of MVOA T&C, it says, "This agreement is entered into and effective as of the date you accept this agreement."
Most people sign this just before picking up their car.
This includes your signature and VP of North America sales.

Last edited:
When you place an order, you are signing the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement. (Page 1 of 1)
30 days start from signing the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement T&C. (5 pages)
The agreement to arbitrate is on page 2 of 5
On the last page (5 of 5) of MVOA T&C, it says, "This agreement is entered into and effective as of the date you accept this agreement."
Most people sign this just before picking up their car.
This includes your signature and VP of North America sales.

Forgot to mention that "You may opt out of arbitration within 30 days after signing this Agreement by sending a letter to: Tesla, Inc.; P.O. Box 15430; Fremont, CA 94539-7970"

I think most of us only signed the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement just before making the final payment and picking the delivery date.

But it would be more like A15 chips were standard for the 13 but some of them got the "Max" chips even though it wasn't advertised except on the top level model.

And the performance of the two lights are very similar so it would be like the "max" chips were locked to the lower speed anyway.

I think the use of Hankook tires for some cars is more of a downgrade.

• Disagree
Reactions: Originalando

Look up "screen lottery." Laptop and phone makers use multiple component suppliers secretly all the time for the exact same model, with some performing worse than others. As long as it meets advertised specs, people have no recourse.

Reactions: jboy210
Look up "screen lottery." Laptop and phone makers use multiple component suppliers secretly all the time for the exact same model, with some performing worse than others. As long as it meets advertised specs, people have no recourse.
Car companies do it all the time as well. However, it usually goes unnoticed, unless a recall applies only to a specific revision of a part or the part from a particular supplier, within the same model year.

But it would be more like A15 chips were standard for the 13 but some of them got the "Max" chips even though it wasn't advertised except on the top level model.

And the performance of the two lights are very similar so it would be like the "max" chips were locked to the lower speed anyway.

I think the use of Hankook tires for some cars is more of a downgrade.
Tires you can change out easily at any time. Not so with the headlights. Performance aside, there is a major aesthetic difference. And the potential for future functionality which is not possible with the old lights.

People have recourse by returning the product (or in this case rejecting delivery) and trying their luck again.
I'm talking about things like trying to get the manufacturer to retrofit the "better" component, doing a return specifically for this component difference beyond standard policies (for example after the standard 14 or 30 day retailer returns for a lot of products), or even suing them.

If you are talking simply about standard returns or rejecting delivery (policies that are condition free in first place), that makes what Tesla is doing in line with industry. Your point however, seemed to be Tesla is departing from industry conventions in this case with the Apple analogy, when they are not if you are applying the above standards.

Last edited:
Did 2020 and/or 2021 M3LR come with the matrix headlights before?

Did you believe your car was going to come equipped with the matrix headlights?

If it did previously and Tesla used matrix headlights on their website for people to configure and order vehicles, you could get protected under the false advertising law.

Common Examples of False Advertising
California law defines false advertising as the making of a false or misleading claim in an effort to induce consumer(s) to purchase a product or retain services. To be held liable for false advertising, a business (or its representative) must have known the claim was false or should have known it was false with the exercise of reasonable care. False advertising takes many different forms. Some examples include:

• Material misrepresentations.
  • Material omissions.
  • Hidden fees.
  • Bait-and-switch tactics.
  • Misleading comparisons.”
If Tesla knew about the supply chain problems and failed to disclose that to the public for awareness, that could be another problem for them.

If you believe that your 2022 M3LR equipped with premium headlights will have a lesser resale value than the 2022 M3LR with matrix headlights, I think you should hire an attorney and file a claim.

I’m sure Tesla can make matrix headlights fit into all 2022 models.

If Tesla specifically states that the 2022 Model 3s come with Matrix lights then they are liable for ensuring that, or offering a credit like the other auto makers are doing for options like heated seats, etc. I don't see anywhere on Tesla's website that states the Matrix lights, so I don't see how Tesla could be held liable for substituting them.

If Tesla specifically states that the 2022 Model 3s come with Matrix lights then they are liable for ensuring that, or offering a credit like the other auto makers are doing for options like heated seats, etc. I don't see anywhere on Tesla's website that states the Matrix lights, so I don't see how Tesla could be held liable for substituting them.
Same with the computer chip/12V Battery, they don’t make it a key point on features for the M3/Y so if they don’t give it no one can say it’s what was promised

Reactions: metroplex