Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Q2 production Model 3 missing matrix headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had time to check out my local SC again. Mostly premium lights on the lot, but the newest build I saw had global/matrix lights!

Also note how the VIN range is not chronological by date. 5/21 build with 261xxx VIN but 5/23 build with 258xxx VIN. So try to go by build date if you can find it and not just the VIN range.

Build DateVINLights
05/21/22258,7xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22259,1xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22259,5xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22259,9xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22260,0xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22260,4xxPremium/Reflector
05/21/22261,3xxPremium/Reflector
05/22/22263,4xxPremium/Reflector
05/23/22258,8xxPremium/Reflector
05/23/22260,1xxPremium/Reflector
05/25/22264,8xx***Global/Matrix***

View attachment 809578
I just got my VIN last Sunday (259,6xx Model 3 LR) and reached out to my SA today after reading this forum about the headlights. They said that my car has the Premium/Reflector headlights. I’ve been disappointed for the past like two hours lol, but honestly like if that’s the only difference on the car models I can live with it. Based on what I’ve seen in videos and comparisons there isn’t much difference. There is, but not enough for me to delay my delivery, wait a couple more months, and then still might not be able to get the “Global/Matrix” lights. I also asked what the differences are between the headlights and if I could receive a rebate based off my car not having global headlights and they said,
“The differences are little. The global headlights are able to project the word "Tesla" during light shows. Rest assured, you will love your Model 3, no matter what headlights it has!
We do not offer rebates or discounts.
Your Model 3 has been built with the features available at the time of your order. - Amy”
That low key pissed me off because of how nonchalant that response was based off me purchasing a $50,000 car (ordered my car 2/27/22). If other cars at that price are getting it, I should too or be compensated for it. I guess you can’t argue it because they never specify these lights on their website. I have an expected delivery date between the 3rd and 8th of June, so in like a week. I’ll accept delivery of it then, and hope that there isn’t anything else different with it. Im assuming that the processor will be the Ryzen AMD instead of Intel, and the weird typical Tesla vehicle issues won’t be too bad. I’ll update if anything changes and how the delivery goes.

Recently, there has been much discussion concerning the presence (or not) of matrix headlights on M3s. Some recent builds (April/May, 2022)are arriving with 1st generation LED lights despite the “refresh” of 2020 and all the hoopla it created. If matrix headlights are being replaced, let us know, Tesla. Don’t keep us in the dark…

As I await my M3 LR I am seething. Given the price increases and deletion of the mobile charger AND a reversion to an earlier headlight iteration, I feel exploited and am questioning my commitment to Tesla. I may end up cancelling my order, not only because of principles (consumers have rights,too); but also as a show of my displeasure.

Recently, there has been much discussion concerning the presence (or not) of matrix headlights on M3s. Some recent builds (April/May, 2022)are arriving with 1st generation LED lights despite the “refresh” of 2020 and all the hoopla it created. If matrix headlights are being replaced, let us know, Tesla. Don’t keep us in the dark…

As I await my M3 LR I am seething. Given the price increases and deletion of the mobile charger AND a reversion to an earlier headlight iteration, I feel exploited and am questioning my commitment to Tesla. I may end up cancelling my order, not only because of principles (consumers have rights,too); but also as a show of my displeasure.
If you think using an older model headlight is the worst thing Tesla is going to do to you as an owner…RUN!!!

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
If you think using an older model headlight is the worst thing Tesla is going to do to you as an owner…RUN!!!
Tesla has become or is becoming a legacy manufacturer where arrogance and consumer “abuse” is standard fare. In that sense your comment is apt. Well I remember my battle with Porsche…. I won but it took extraordinary effort on my part. But why are we putting up with this behaviour on Tesla’s part? We shouldn’t idly accept it. Forums like this have a role to play. As do governmental agencies and even other resources. After all, there is a contract in play. It was premised on a consumer product having certain attributes and characteristics. Let’s shout about this. Not let them get away with it

Tesla has become as a function of demand a legacy car manufacturer where arrogance is standard fare, the consumer receiving the brunt of many poor actions. In that sense your comment is apt. Well I remember my battle (quite literally) with Porsche who decided arbitrarily to not honour a warranty claim. Just because they could. But with persistence and some effort, Porsche stood down. I think forums like this have a significant role to play where we challenge publicly rather than passively accepting Tesla’s decisions harm us as consumers. After all, we do have rights.

As I have said many times, I love the car but despise the company! And I am no longer a Musk fan.

the car wouldn’t exist without the company, and the company wouldn’t exist (at least in the form it is today) without musk.

Tesla isn’t perfect, they do things a little differently, but ultimately they are moving far faster than everyone else and it’s well worth the small hiccups, IMO.