Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 RWD Footwell door pocket light mod?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't think it terminates at a- pillar. More so it ends at front dome connector harness (think canbus...)
This is the end of the roof liner harness in the passenger A pillar. I thought this was the same harness that powers the dome lights but I can't seem to find a switched line and the colours don't line up. I guess I'm going to have to go your way

Attachments

• PXL_20221119_005631145.jpg
    PXL_20221119_005631145.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 87
DIY harness day last week. Top left connector (red black pair for illustration) to power and negative. Connector under SSR has a red wire (for illustration) is my trigger from x288. Then the other four T10 holders to run under the footwell. :)

Finished by testing for continuity before felt-wrapped the entire harness.

PXL_20221120_032114439.jpg

Reactions: AdemK28
It does sound like it has changed- this is the plug at the rear of the center console at the bottom- only one brown wire in the entire harness
What you can try is to unplug the the connector and test the voltage on the brown output pin of the can bus and to prevent a floating ground, make sure you connect ground on the ammeter to the same ground in the can bus. Try opening and closing the door to see if you get a CAN high (~2-7v) when door is opened and low when all doors are closed, low (~0v).

Edit: If you’re testing while sitting in the car with the doors closed and/or opened, the correct wire should remain high (on state, aprox ~2-7v). and go to a low state when occupancy is no longer detected and all doors are closed (off state, aprox ~0v).
Low and high voltage is different on a can bus compared to a digital circuit.

I doubt a CAN low would be represented as 0v, it was just an example. so with that being said, I would be on the look out to see what makes the voltage on the output pin to drop a voltage or two to figure out what a CAN low value would represent on the CAN bus.

Last edited:
To report back - all is working now based on my DIY harness.

(1) the airy space I was talking about between the driver and passenger under the centre console. Once you pop both sides' kick panel there is a massive area to hold all the wiring and SSR.

PXL_20221120_064307242.jpg

(2) the felt-taped harness. moving into location.

PXL_20221120_075723883.jpg

(3) all working -

(4) I've mounted the front footwell LED holder to the removable side kick panel which is working rather well. Have not decided where to mount the rear ones and hence, just left the wiring and LED lead on the carpet for now. Will have a further look on the weekend and see how to best mount that. Otherwise all is working quite well.

Connections:

- cigarette 15.5v connector +ve and -ve, cut and spliced into separator connector (2 pins), then added a 50cm extension with inline fuse holder on +ve, so that I can run the extension to either front of centre console or the rear air vent area. The fuse holder and extension connection are accessible from the USB panel pop-out inside front centre console, and will serve as the easily accessible service area.
- rear dome light x288 connector, pin 3 or 4 (depending on whether you want trigger to be left or right light). fished a single wire from across rear dome towards left side of vehicle, then fish wire from overhead above seatbelt (panel removed), and then along top left side head area (away from curtain airbag), then down A-pillar, around the blue connector near VCLeft, then under left side floor carpet between the hard styrofoam, and then into the airy space I shown above.
- the DIY harness is pretty simple and should be self-explanatory. You can see that I've used 2-pin connectors, 3-pins, 4-pins, 6-pins, so that I can easily trace and differentiate connection points. And each LED holder has their own connector for serviceability.

Reactions: Swamprat96
Been following now confused. Can you send ma a write up? Id be happy to paypal you some coffee. Did you tap dome lights o they turn off when door closed? Are they on when inside car? Ive seen one with video and relay to that rear brown wire but he installed a separate switch inline to turn them off.
ha haa... I'm a coffee roaster by trade but always happy to try other coffees around the world. :p

Please read from post #82 to #85. Have done the write-ups of how to create the harness and wiring route. let me know if you need more info. happy to share.

Lol thanks. So the write will allow the footwell to work and turn off when door closed AND u are inside?
yes, so I ran it off the left rear dome light as trigger and get my power from 15V ciggy wires. Whenever the left rear dome light comes on (manually, or via door) it energizes the SSR to power up the four LEDs. When the left rear dome light is off - that de-energizes the SSR and hence off. Think of it as an extension to the dome light regardless of the situation. When you lock car light dome light will go off after a while. When you unlock car dome light will go on immediately. when you're in the car after closing door dome light would go off after timer expires. :)

Reactions: nutsofamily
yes, so I ran it off the left rear dome light as trigger and get my power from 15V ciggy wires. Whenever the left rear dome light comes on (manually, or via door) it energizes the SSR to power up the four LEDs. When the left rear dome light is off - that de-energizes the SSR and hence off. Think of it as an extension to the dome light regardless of the situation. When you lock car light dome light will go off after a while. When you unlock car dome light will go on immediately. when you're in the car after closing door dome light would go off after timer expires. :)
No soft fuse trips at all?

Do you have an itemized parts list? The link for amazon doesn't seem to work. (Relay)

Last edited:
Reactions: nutsofamily
Would this work?

CG Solid State Relay SSR-40DD DC to DC Input 3-32VDC To Output 5-240VDC 40A Single Phase Plastic Cover… https://a.co/d/63iCeAcView attachment 913186
yeah, looks right. i think mine was rated for 25A or 40A. need to look. if you haven't used SSR before, it gets hot when it is continually energized (like if you have your dome light on all the time. perhaps wise to get the heat sink as well.