Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so
I thought I would start a new thread for 2022 on European bound ships carrying Teslas.
The first logical question is why on earth would anyone on a Tesla forum be interested in shipping?

The answer is because once you have ordered your revolutionary expensive new car you enter the Tesla blackout zone - a frustrating period of non-communication from Tesla when you have no idea of what is happening with your order. If you call them, they just say they 'are waiting for a match'. What does that mean? Tesla don't build Model 3/Ys to order - they build whatever they want and then match their production to what has been ordered. This 'matching' usually happens around the time the car is loaded on to a ship. Aha! Shipping has suddenly become interesting!

All Model 3s for Europe are currently made in the Shanghai Gigafactory and are shipped to Zeebrugge, Belgium or Koper, Slovenia through the Suez Canal in a journey taking about 30 days. All Model 3s for the UK are currently shipped from Shanghai direct to Southampton.
Normally Tesla fully charter ships to transport their cars but during 2021 they supplemented the charters by using available space on scheduled services too. For 2022 Tesla have contracted Hyundai Glovis to supply a number of ships to deliver cars produced by the Shanghai Gigafactory.
Model Y for the UK will come from Shanghai in Q1 (Q2 onwards is meant to come from Berlin).
At the time of writing this, Berlin has yet to produce anything, nevermind ramped up, and so I expect Model Ys for Europe to continue to be shipped from Shanghai for Q1 and possibly in to Q2 too.

If you are in Auz/NZ, shipments have so far been made on scheduled services from Shanghai. I will announce the departure of likely vessels on this thread but won't track them.
If you are in Dubai, your Model 3 will be loaded on to a ship that heads to Jebel Ali. Currently there is one shipment per quarter.
If you are in Israel, your car will be shipped to Ashdod and again currently there is one shipment per quarter.
If you are in Ireland your car is now shipped via Zeebrugge.

I mentioned Q1 earlier- this is because Tesla work in quarters with Q1 running from Jan to Mar. The Tesla business model requires as many cars as possible produced in a quarter to be paid for (delivered) in that same quarter.
This means that in Q1 the last ship will leave for Europe no later than around 18 Feb in order to allow for a 4 week transit to Zeebrugge and then a (hectic) delivery push in the last 10 days or so of March. (A little later if shipping to Koper) It is logical then to expect to see a large number of export models for the UK/EU market to be clogging the Chinese production lines in January and early February. This explains the feast or famine nature of Tesla logistics. Elon has promised his staff that he will try to suppress the end of quarter wave. To an extent he has already succeeded in this - by moving all export production to China, the US domestic supply is now much more even throughout the quarter. For Europe, had Berlin come online when originally planned, the sombrero would have been flattened by 2022 Q1. Sadly, Berlin is late and so as a result I think the end of quarter push will continue to be a feature in Q1 (and probably Q2).

There is an excellent spreadsheet populated with the latest (and historical) confirmed shipping information from a variety of sources - Tesla Carriers. It may be more of interest to you later as you become more engrossed in this subject! Did I mention it can become addictive?

Anyway, I think we can expect to see about 13 boatloads to Europe in Q1.
That begs the next question - how big are the boats? The standard ocean going vehicle carrier is 200 metres long and 32 metres wide and can fit about 5000 - 5500 cars onboard. A Tesla is larger and significantly heavier than a standard car and so a maximum of about 4000 - 4500 cars are in each shipment. There are larger vessels that can transport more and I will make a point of mentioning it if a larger vessel is being used.

Anyway the plan is to post details of the latest Tesla shipping news for 2022 to this thread.

I expect at some time, possibly even later this year, Model S/X to resume shipping from the USA. Previously these models had a tortuous delivery route to UK and Europe by container to Tilburg in the Netherlands where they were reassembled for onward distribution.
Quite how they will be shipped when exports to UK/Europe is resumed is unknown but I think it likely that they will be shipped complete on a RoRo possibly from Pier 80 in San Francisco. We shall see...

There are a number of ship trackers you can use to follow the ships and www.marinetraffic.com is one with perhaps the best free coverage but there are plenty of others. The ships transmit a signal which is picked up by shore based receivers (mostly hosted by amateurs) and forwarded to the website. The trouble is that the signal is a VHF signal meaning the receiver has to be within line-of-sight and once the ship goes over the horizon to the receiver that's it, unless you pay for satellite coverage which is not cheap. With the aid of satellite tracking I will provide a daily update on exactly where each 'Tesla' ship is and provide an estimated time of arrival to Zeebrugge and Southampton (the UK port of entry for Tesla). I'll also try and add some background info which you may find interesting.

Correctly identfying Tesla ships from Shanghai is not easy and quite often a 'suspect' ship turns out to be a false alarm. There are other sites that claim to track Tesla ships but actually just track every possible ship that departs Shanghai, which is not particularly helpful. I at least try and rule out the improbable ones based on my experience. It helps enormously if when you 'chat' to Tesla about your order that you ask what ship your car is on or if they won't tell you the name, at least ask when it will arrive in Zeebrugge/Southampton. Please post your info to the thread or PM me!

You can help me and others by keeping any posts on this thread strictly to shipping related matters - questions about when to expect delivery, VINs and panel gaps have their own threads, which I have been known to visit and contribute to also.

I am posting this now because I think I may have in my sights the 1st ship of 2022 .....
I thought I would start a new thread for 2022 on European bound ships carrying Teslas.
The first logical question is why on earth would anyone on a Tesla forum be interested in shipping?

The answer is because once you have ordered your revolutionary expensive new car you enter the Tesla blackout zone - a frustrating period of non-communication from Tesla when you have no idea of what is happening with your order. If you call them, they just say they 'are waiting for a match'. What does that mean? Tesla don't build Model 3/Ys to order - they build whatever they want and then match their production to what has been ordered. This 'matching' usually happens around the time the car is loaded on to a ship. Aha! Shipping has suddenly become interesting!

All Model 3s for Europe are currently made in the Shanghai Gigafactory and are shipped to Zeebrugge, Belgium or Koper, Slovenia through the Suez Canal in a journey taking about 30 days. All Model 3s for the UK are currently shipped from Shanghai direct to Southampton.
Normally Tesla fully charter ships to transport their cars but during 2021 they supplemented the charters by using available space on scheduled services too. For 2022 Tesla have contracted Hyundai Glovis to supply a number of ships to deliver cars produced by the Shanghai Gigafactory.
Model Y for the UK will come from Shanghai in Q1 (Q2 onwards is meant to come from Berlin).
At the time of writing this, Berlin has yet to produce anything, nevermind ramped up, and so I expect Model Ys for Europe to continue to be shipped from Shanghai for Q1 and possibly in to Q2 too.

If you are in Auz/NZ, shipments have so far been made on scheduled services from Shanghai. I will announce the departure of likely vessels on this thread but won't track them.
If you are in Dubai, your Model 3 will be loaded on to a ship that heads to Jebel Ali. Currently there is one shipment per quarter.
If you are in Israel, your car will be shipped to Ashdod and again currently there is one shipment per quarter.
If you are in Ireland your car is now shipped via Zeebrugge.

I mentioned Q1 earlier- this is because Tesla work in quarters with Q1 running from Jan to Mar. The Tesla business model requires as many cars as possible produced in a quarter to be paid for (delivered) in that same quarter.
This means that in Q1 the last ship will leave for Europe no later than around 18 Feb in order to allow for a 4 week transit to Zeebrugge and then a (hectic) delivery push in the last 10 days or so of March. (A little later if shipping to Koper) It is logical then to expect to see a large number of export models for the UK/EU market to be clogging the Chinese production lines in January and early February. This explains the feast or famine nature of Tesla logistics. Elon has promised his staff that he will try to suppress the end of quarter wave. To an extent he has already succeeded in this - by moving all export production to China, the US domestic supply is now much more even throughout the quarter. For Europe, had Berlin come online when originally planned, the sombrero would have been flattened by 2022 Q1. Sadly, Berlin is late and so as a result I think the end of quarter push will continue to be a feature in Q1 (and probably Q2).

There is an excellent spreadsheet populated with the latest (and historical) confirmed shipping information from a variety of sources - Tesla Carriers. It may be more of interest to you later as you become more engrossed in this subject! Did I mention it can become addictive?

Anyway, I think we can expect to see about 13 boatloads to Europe in Q1.
That begs the next question - how big are the boats? The standard ocean going vehicle carrier is 200 metres long and 32 metres wide and can fit about 5000 - 5500 cars onboard. A Tesla is larger and significantly heavier than a standard car and so a maximum of about 4000 - 4500 cars are in each shipment. There are larger vessels that can transport more and I will make a point of mentioning it if a larger vessel is being used.

Anyway the plan is to post details of the latest Tesla shipping news for 2022 to this thread.

I expect at some time, possibly even later this year, Model S/X to resume shipping from the USA. Previously these models had a tortuous delivery route to UK and Europe by container to Tilburg in the Netherlands where they were reassembled for onward distribution.
Quite how they will be shipped when exports to UK/Europe is resumed is unknown but I think it likely that they will be shipped complete on a RoRo possibly from Pier 80 in San Francisco. We shall see...

There are a number of ship trackers you can use to follow the ships and www.marinetraffic.com is one with perhaps the best free coverage but there are plenty of others. The ships transmit a signal which is picked up by shore based receivers (mostly hosted by amateurs) and forwarded to the website. The trouble is that the signal is a VHF signal meaning the receiver has to be within line-of-sight and once the ship goes over the horizon to the receiver that's it, unless you pay for satellite coverage which is not cheap. With the aid of satellite tracking I will provide a daily update on exactly where each 'Tesla' ship is and provide an estimated time of arrival to Zeebrugge and Southampton (the UK port of entry for Tesla). I'll also try and add some background info which you may find interesting.

Correctly identfying Tesla ships from Shanghai is not easy and quite often a 'suspect' ship turns out to be a false alarm. There are other sites that claim to track Tesla ships but actually just track every possible ship that departs Shanghai, which is not particularly helpful. I at least try and rule out the improbable ones based on my experience. It helps enormously if when you 'chat' to Tesla about your order that you ask what ship your car is on or if they won't tell you the name, at least ask when it will arrive in Zeebrugge/Southampton. Please post your info to the thread or PM me!

You can help me and others by keeping any posts on this thread strictly to shipping related matters - questions about when to expect delivery, VINs and panel gaps have their own threads, which I have been known to visit and contribute to also.

I am posting this now because I think I may have in my sights the 1st ship of 2022 .....
Thank you so much for your valuable information. I placed an order for M3 LR in Dubai back in October. and they shipment expected to arrive end of Jan/ early Feb. The wait has been agonizing. Any idea for the names of the vessels heading to Jebel Ali, Dubai!? I haven't been allocated any vin yet.

View attachment 758305

Tesla-Schiffe unterwegs:

GRANDE CALIFORNIA → Abf. SHG 08.01. → Suezkanal 25.01. → Zeebrugge 03.02.
→ fährt heute Nacht in den Golf von Aden
HYPERION RAY → Abf. SHG 12.01. → Suez 29.01. → Southampton/Zeebrugge 07.-09.02.
→ auf halber Strecke zwischen Sumatra und SriLanka
HOEGH TRAVELLER → Abf. SHG 07.01. → Suezkanal 29.01. → Zeebrugge 12.02.
→ Linienschiff: Manila 11.01., Singapur 14.01., Suezkanal 29.01., Piräus 01.02, Livorno 04.02.
VIKING BRAVERY → Abf. SHG 16.01. → Suezkanal 03.02. → South/Zeebrugge 12.-14.02.
–>2 Tage bis Singapur

Schiffe unter Beobachtung:

VIKING SEA → Abf. SHG 10.01. → Suezkanal 30.01. → ??
→ hat die Insel SriLanka passiert
PAGNA → Abf. SHG 11.01. → Suezkanal 31.01. → ??
→ ein Tag hinter der VIKING SEA
SUNRICE ACE → Abf. SHG 17.01. → Singapur 23.01. → ??
→ ein Tag hinter der VIKING BRAVERY, 3 Tage bis Singapur
GLOVIS CONDOR → Abf. SHG 19.01. → Singapur 24.01. → ??
→ hat inzwischen die Ostküste der Insel Taiwan passiert
GRAND ORION → Abf. SHG 21.01. → Singapur ?? → ??
→ liegt derzeit noch am Tesla-Pier in SHG
Hello @Höegh Trapper, you surely know who the creator of the original is!!?
Then you should at least ask him if you can put it here in the TMC forum.

And this thread belongs to @Mr Miserable, he is the expert on tracking in the TMC forum.
And he certainly doesn't like it when tracking lists are copied here from other forums.
I'm already in contact with him from time to time, but mostly in the background and that's how it should stay.
Therefore, I would like to ask you to delete your contribution here! Probably well meant, but not very useful.

Thank you and greetings

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Update on my 'mid-late February' delivery. Pickup in Dublin could be 15th-21st February - Still TBC

What are the logistics of getting RHD Irish cars from Zeebrugge to Dublin? Can't be easy!

View attachment 758008
It's not an issue. There is a regular RoRo service.
What has yet to be confirmed is whether Tesla are still shipping to Dublin or are they using Cork.

Reactions: Dave_H
The only change today is the confirmation that VIKING BRAVERY will also call at Zeebrugge. The date of 16 Feb seems quite late and I would have expected it to be a couple of days earlier which suggests that VIKING BRAVERY might be making a port call in between....

The known Tesla ships on the way at the moment are as follows:
GRANDE CALIFORNIA ETA Southampton 03 Feb, Zeebrugge 04 Feb
HOEGH TRAVELLER ETA Zeebrugge 12 Feb
HYPERION RAY I estimate will arrive Southampton around 07 Feb and Zeebrugge 08 Feb
VIKING BRAVERY I estimate Southampton around 13 Feb (MY shipment to UK) and Zeebrugge on 16 Feb

Their latest satellite positions are shown on the chart below. All the ships are enjoying good weather.
HYPERION RAY has increased speed up to 19kts and I'm expecting her to switch off her AIS within the next 24hrs or so 'as a security measure' as she approaches an area regarded as a high security risk. As a contrast GRANDE CALIFORNIA is using her AIS to advertise that she is carrying armed guards which in my opinion is a much more sensible measure and doesn't degrade a safety system.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 11.03.54.png

No changes to the watch list.
GRAND ORION has spent some time loading in Shanghai and so I am keen to find out where she is heading off to. It's another 6 hours until the next high tide there and when we will find out. It's perhaps worth mentioning that I'm expecting MORNING MIDAS to dock then - she should load a large shipment of RHD that will be bound for Australia.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 11.02.37.png

Finally don't forget to enter the HYPERION RAY competition! It's free and just for fun. Click HERE to enter.

Last edited:
Just been contacted today for a home delivery in Glasgow on the 11th February for an M3 LR Deep Blue, 19" and Premium Interior....looks like things are going to plan! Order placed 29th Dec through LEX Autolease.
Hope this helps!!

The only change today is the confirmation that VIKING BRAVERY will also call at Zeebrugge. The date of 16 Feb seems quite late and I would have expected it to be a couple of days earlier which suggests that VIKING BRAVERY might be making a port call in between....

The known Tesla ships on the way at the moment are as follows:
GRANDE CALIFORNIA ETA Southampton 03 Feb, Zeebrugge 04 Feb
HOEGH TRAVELLER ETA Zeebrugge 12 Feb
HYPERION RAY I estimate will arrive Southampton around 07 Feb and Zeebrugge 08 Feb
VIKING BRAVERY I estimate Southampton around 13 Feb (MY shipment to UK) and Zeebrugge on 16 Feb

Their latest satellite positions are shown on the chart below. All the ships are enjoying good weather.
HYPERION RAY has increased speed up to 19kts and I'm expecting her to switch off her AIS within the next 24hrs or so 'as a security measure' as she approaches an area regarded as a high security risk. As a contrast GRANDE CALIFORNIA is using her AIS to advertise that she is carrying armed guards which in my opinion is a much more sensible measure and doesn't degrade a safety system.

View attachment 758346

No changes to the watch list.
GRAND ORION has spent some time loading in Shanghai and so I am keen to find out where she is heading off to. It's another 6 hours until the next high tide there and when we will find out. It's perhaps worth mentioning that I'm expecting MORNING MIDAS to dock then - she should load a large shipment of RHD that will be bound for Australia.

View attachment 758348

Finally don't forget to enter the HYPERION RAY competition! It's free and just for fun. Click HERE to enter.
Im curious. Mr Miserable do you have a maritime background? or just a very knowledgeable amateur? This post struck a chord with me having been involved with SSAS systems in the past and having spent a lot of time looking at dots on a map.

Last edited:
Im curious. Mr Miserable do you have a maritime background? or just a very knowledgeable amaetur? This post struck a chord with me having been involved with SSAS systems in the past and having spent a lot of time looking at does on a map.
I had a wonderful misspent youth at sea prior to the easy life of aviation.

• Love
Reactions: XHabjab and Snowy77
Status
Not open for further replies.