Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told it was going to be last night (UK time). It may have been the plan but the plan has changed. Likewise into the main port, TURANDOT has apparently been delayed (again) to tomorrow pm (I'm assuming that to be Shanghai time). There may be an issue with tug availability I'm told. Delays are the order of the day I'm afraid and I'm not expecting the loading to be swift either.

Update from Shanghai: GLOVIS SPLENDOR should now dock at 0400 local time tomorrow. (in about 6 hrs time)
Glovis Splendor is heading to the port now.

As has been spotted already, GLOVIS SPLENDOR is heading in to dock at Shanghai South/Luchao/Nangang/Hangzhou Bay/Pier 4 - this pier has lots of different names. It's not used exclusively by Tesla or even cars. A regular product shipped from here are blades for wind turbines although I doubt they are exported to EU/UK.
GLOVIS SPLENDOR is about 12% larger than a standard Panamax RoRo. One of the major limitations for shipbuilding for many years was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. A Panamax ship is designed to fit (just) through the locks and most of the global fleet of car carriers were built to this specification. The long planned Panama Canal expansion opened in June 2016 and allowed for longer, wider and ships with greater draft to navigate the canal via the new locks. GLOVIS SPLENDOR is an example of a ship which would have to use the new locks. She is by no way the largest of car carriers but she is pretty big. (Of course, she will not use the Panama Canal on her journey from China to UK/EU, and there are no locks in the Suez Canal, which she will use, to worry about.)
The capacity of a car carrier is measured in RT43 units. One unit is based on a 1966 Toyota Corona. So, GLOVIS SPLENDOR can carry 7,353 Toyota Coronas. Needless to say a Tesla is longer, wider and heavier than a 1966 Toyota Corona which is why she will only be transporting about 4,000-4,500 Teslas.

As has been spotted already, GLOVIS SPLENDOR is heading in to dock at Shanghai South/Luchao/Nangang/Hangzhou Bay/Pier 4 - this pier has lots of different names. It's not used exclusively by Tesla or even cars. A regular product shipped from here are blades for wind turbines although I doubt they are exported to EU/UK.
GLOVIS SPLENDOR is about 12% larger than a standard Panamax RoRo. One of the major limitations for shipbuilding for many years was the size of the locks in the Panama Canal. A Panamax ship is designed to fit (just) through the locks and most of the global fleet of car carriers were built to this specification. The long planned Panama Canal expansion opened in June 2016 and allowed for longer, wider and ships with greater draft to navigate the canal via the new locks. GLOVIS SPLENDOR is an example of a ship which would have to use the new locks. She is by no way the largest of car carriers but she is pretty big. (Of course, she will not use the Panama Canal on her journey from China to UK/EU, and there are no locks in the Suez Canal, which she will use, to worry about.)
The capacity of a car carrier is measured in RT43 units. One unit is based on a 1966 Toyota Corona. So, GLOVIS SPLENDOR can carry 7,353 Toyota Coronas. Needless to say a Tesla is longer, wider and heavier than a 1966 Toyota Corona which is why she will only be transporting about 4,000-4,500 Teslas.
Very informative, thank you! Let’s hope she is carrying 4000/4500 Teslas! If or when people start to get VINs are we to let you know?

I have had a reply from Shanghai!
It wasn't in particularly good English (but it's better than my Shanghainese) however the gist of it is that there are a lot of people off work at the moment and the situation there is difficult. Basically the ports are undermanned. Getting food is a challenge - the traditional sources of meals for dock workers are not open.

I can see that ship turnround times at the main RoRo terminal in Haitong are much longer than normal and with Shanghai South normally taking twice as long as Haitong to load then we should be prepared for a bit of a wait before GLOVIS SPLENDOR will be ready to depart.

Status
Not open for further replies.