Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 week gap between the two
OK - so assuming this VIN allocation is complete (its likely to be manual - so I'd expect updates tomorrow night too)... then the next round should be next Monday night, and the following Monday from there.

Either way - isn't this very early for VIN in source? GS looks like she's still a decent chunk away from Suez, or is Suez when the SMS messages get sent?

OK - so assuming this VIN allocation is complete (its likely to be manual - so I'd expect updates tomorrow night too)... then the next round should be next Monday night, and the following Monday from there.

Either way - isn't this very early for VIN in source? GS looks like she's still a decent chunk away from Suez, or is Suez when the SMS messages get sent?
Yes it’s very early unless it’s Glovis Splendor.

I was under the impression the VINs start getting allocated once around the Suez. GLOVIS SPLENDOR is around there, TheBen is way back.

For it to be on TheBen, Tesla would have changed their practice.
It has little to do about geography or the Suez more related to timing of when Tesla have worked out logistics for allocation and delivery. This tends to happen about 2 to 3 weeks prior to delivery which is usually when car is on the high seas (which may happen to be in the vicinity of Suez or not!)

Secretly hoping for a News Flash @Mr Miserable “breaking news” style post.

I'd be interested in @Mr Miserable view on why so many VINs appear to have been allocated.

It doesn't seem to me to fit with his best-educated-guess of the number of boats / cars coming to UK that such a large percentage of people who previously had end-June EDD have now got a VIN (and also several who had other things, such as "May").

I hope that is indeed the case for everyone waiting, but I've also experienced Tesla mucking up data in the past - particularly when manual intervention has been required - and I wonder whether there is any likelihood of that on this occasion

My only explanation would be that when Shanghai resumed (or even before lockdown maybe) production of RHD cars was scheduled, such that "many/most" of EU cars this quarter will be RHD. But if so it would seem more likely that ship would have been chartered to Southampton first ... rather than having to flog up the Adriatic and back down again.

Reactions: Frizzy and mars101
Do we think Tesla will deliver cars in July? Which I know doesn't normally happen.

I think could happen this time around, post Shanghai-lockdown:

If there are parts for RHD cars that are "in warehouse" e.g. because the normal just-in-time deliveries failed on some other part that RHD needs so cars could not be put into production - then they may choose to build those (and ship late, i.e. early July delivery) rather than leave the parts in the warehouse until build-for-August scheduling. I think that would depends on whether they need the warehouse space, or the cost of the past is significant (RHD-only bits - significant price? Seems unlikely ... but), AND if they can charter a boat ... AND if the choose to do any of that.

EDIT: I've now seen @delta0 post - that seems more likely - although I have zero confidence that Tesla support staff know more than we do, and there is plenty of previous where they just "made stuff up" instead of saying "Dunno"

I'd be interested in @Mr Miserable view on why so many VINs appear to have been allocated.

It doesn't seem to me to fit with his best-educated-guess of the number of boats / cars coming to UK that such a large percentage of people who previously had end-June EDD have now got a VIN (and also several who had other things, such as "May").

I hope that is indeed the case for everyone waiting, but I've also experienced Tesla mucking up data in the past - particularly when manual intervention has been required - and I wonder whether there is any likelihood of that on this occasion

My only explanation would be that when Shanghai resumed (or even before lockdown maybe) production of RHD cars was scheduled, such that "many/most" of EU cars this quarter will be RHD. But if so it would seem more likely that ship would have been chartered to Southampton first ... rather than having to flog up the Adriatic and back down again.
There seems to be three delivery windows,
Last 2 weeks of June
Last week of June
First week of July (unless this is a transient scheduling issue as someone has mentioned and if the VIN is allocated, it will creep in before the end of June)

I don't pretend to follow every word on this thread, but presumably these should correlate with ships arriving in the few days before those windows. We know there are some potential boats on the way, I don't know if the above means 1 to 2 or 3 boats as the delivery dates could just be a way of spreading the deliveries. The speculation lately as I understood it was whether there were UK (and other countries as this thread is read wider) cars onboard. The VIN allocations suggest there most definitely are cars on the way, albeit the volume seems to be, as expected due to covid, down on where it was a quarter ago.

Mr M can now advise on which boats look most likely to fit with the predicted deliveries windows

I think its also fair to say, if you don't get an updated delviery date and a VIN in the next few days, you've probably not got a car allocated from the cars on their way. I think it's also fair to say all markets fed by China will be in a similar state and current production may be needed to spread around a bit (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, China itself).

With the Moderator hat on, I'm being quite ruthless at the moment and either moving or just deleting content that isn't adding anything. I know some comments are meant to be funny and ordinarily they'd be fine, but the jokes age quickly and others just have to continually scroll past pages of them.

Do we think Tesla will deliver cars in July? Which I know doesn't normally happen. As no more UK/EU boats have docked at Shanghai south since RCC Europe the chances of another ship docking/loading and getting the EU before the end of June is slim.
some tesla advisors have said last week that some orders will be delivered all along july...
but they are french, which is not a credible origin of information if I read the topic well :D
anyway, if that statement were to be true, that would imply a continuous flow of boats to follow for Q2 then Q3 orders and maybe (maybe !) a return to "normal" in Q4...

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Status
Not open for further replies.