Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, as I mentioned in the other thread, it’s about transparency. Other manufacturers tell you upfront there is gonna be a 6/12+ month wait.
When I ordered my Tesla in March, I was given June as delivery date.
If they had told me September from the start, I wouldn’t be as pissed off as I am now, and maybe I would have made arrangements for a bridge car. Don’t create reasonable expectations from your customer if you are unable to match them, or at least, communicate! Hell, just a text « sorry for the delay [insert excuse here] you’re now up for September » would already be a nice start and I don’t feel I am asking for much.
But don’t tell me « if you’re unhappy, f* off elsewhere, you’re gonna have to wait there too… » that’s just not a good business practice in the long run.
Just be aware that one of the problems is that Tesla only ask for a £100 deposit and the cars are not cheap. When suddenly receiving an email to cough up £50K + some folk have to back out. Only Tesla know the number of orders that fall by the wayside but looking back in this forum a lot of people have been pleasantly surprised in the last week of the quarter.

The issue is the EDD accuracy, they should only be updating EDD when ships are chartered. Elon wants to publish the twitter algorithm - I think he should be publishing the EDD calculation as well.

I have had 5 EDD revisions in 2 months - it's misleading. These forums are full of speculation, all because of the EDD

edd.png

RCC EUROPE Competition

Where will RCC EUROPE be at Midday UTC on 13 Jun 22?
She should be sailing between Suez and Southampton.​

EU Maj Sq.png

All you have to do is choose a major square and then one of the 25 minor squares within it, that you think the ship will be located in. (I realise they aren't actually square!)

Minor Squares.png

Although a lot of likely major squares contain land, careful selection of the minor square will place your selection at sea eg Major Square P3 and Minor Square 23 is fine but P3 and 1 is going to be a loser!

Only 1 entry per person
In the event of a tie, the person who chose the closest small square first will be declared the winner.
The competition will close for entries at Midday UTC on 08 Jun 22 .
There is no prize - it's just bit of fun!
Results will be announced on the shipping thread on 13 Jun 22.

You don't need to sign in to Google or enter an email address to enter!
BUT please enter your real TMC forum username. Thank you

CLICK HERE TO ENTER Good luck!

Again, as I mentioned in the other thread, it’s about transparency. Other manufacturers tell you upfront there is gonna be a 6/12+ month wait.
When I ordered my Tesla in March, I was given June as delivery date.
If they had told me September from the start, I wouldn’t be as pissed off as I am now, and maybe I would have made arrangements for a bridge car. Don’t create reasonable expectations from your customer if you are unable to match them, or at least, communicate! Hell, just a text « sorry for the delay [insert excuse here] you’re now up for September » would already be a nice start and I don’t feel I am asking for much.
But don’t tell me « if you’re unhappy, f* off elsewhere, you’re gonna have to wait there too… » that’s just not a good business practice in the long run.

I think the problem here is that Tesla themselves do not know. I ordered in March also, and the lockdown came out of the blue at the end of the month. It lasted an unknown time. They are only now just getting production back (hopefully) to normal levels. Q2 has been a disaster for them. If production remains steady in June then they will have a far better idea for Q3. Someone may drop out and you get lucky. I know its a big PITA for a lot of people, but it is what it is.

I think the problem here is that Tesla themselves do not know. I ordered in March also, and the lockdown came out of the blue at the end of the month. It lasted an unknown time. They are only now just getting production back (hopefully) to normal levels. Q2 has been a disaster for them. If production remains steady in June then they will have a far better idea for Q3. Someone may drop out and you get lucky. I know its a big PITA for a lot of people, but it is what it is.
If you think about It they are only making 10 variants of each model (5 paint colours x 2 interiors) (excluding wheels here as they can be easily swapped, but make it 20 if you wish). The rest is software. That’s so streamlined compared to any other manufacturer!
Hence their ability to build in batches, but that alone should allow them to be transparent with customers about when a batch matching their order is about to be 1/built 2/shipped 3/ on the way …

I think it worth remembering that Q2 was always going to be a 'bad' quarter for shipments to UK and EU anyway and so the COVID shutdown just compounded it. The idea that Tesla will try and clear a backlog just doesn't gel. Tesla always have a backlog, it's just larger than normal at the moment. If Tesla can deliver every car they make in June why should they go to the expense of exporting and have unsold cars on their balance sheet at the end of the quarter? (The cars that will be sitting on a ship at quarter-end) No matter what the heart says the business managers will make the decision and that decision will have been to stick to their existing production plans and business model as much as possible. Remember Tesla sell twice as many cars in China than they export to UK/EU, therefore the Chinese market is twice as important.
Q3 will be a mega quarter. The word is 17 ships to EU/UK. Let's hope that Shanghai successfully emerge from lockdown next month and can ramp up to the blistering levels of production that the Q3 forecasts are predicting. For the UK and EU that will mean deliveries in August and September.
Sorry, just to bounce on that with a bit of hope…. Agreed that China’s domestic market is directly competing with EU orders for the Shanghai GF… but..if what’s sitting on the factory parking at the moment is a batch of freshly made RHDs cars that missed the last ship for the end of Q2 because of the slower output during lockdown, Tesla won’t be able to sell that domestically.. So they might as well ship it to the UK in the upcoming weeks, even if that mean they will still be in transit comes 30th June… no?

Sorry, just to bounce on that with a bit of hope…. Agreed that China’s domestic market is directly competing with EU orders for the Shanghai GF… but..if what’s sitting on the factory parking at the moment is a batch of freshly made RHDs cars that missed the last ship for the end of Q2 because of the slower output during lockdown, Tesla won’t be able to sell that domestically.. So they might as well ship it to the UK in the upcoming weeks, even if that mean they will still be in transit comes 30th June… no?
Or Japan or Australia, which are both closer… 😂

(I appreciate the reality is that there may be tweaks for the regs in each market, but there seemed to be too much positivity going on this evening!)

Reactions: Sacharanc
I would not be so sure about Theban having allocated all their VINS ....little evidence of this from the chat on the forums. Understandably Theban seems not to be linked to UK but participants on the forum from countries serviced from Zeebrugge are not reporting a huge level of notifications from Tesla that would be expected for a ship carrying4/5000 units.
This is also what I believe/hope... Given the current position of Theben, I would rather expect the VIN allocation this week

Reactions: kingkongy
If there are 'dregs' left over that have missed the chartered ship for some reason or other then we have seen Tesla use scheduled services to transport them. The numbers are not usually large. I can't recall any examples for UK shipments but there have been a couple of instances to Zeebrugge.

Reactions: WllXM and Daedalus
So, THEMIS LEADER is heading for Khalifa port in the UAE. Arriving on the 8th June. All indicates to my M3P being there, as the EDD is showing 7 to 21 June and I have managed to see my VIN, although not officially shared with me.
So, all good and only a few weeks later than the originally promissed May delivery date!
Yes it's disappointing that she is heading to Abu Dhabi first. I haven't seen her schedule but let's hope Jebel Ali is her 2nd stop.

This is also what I believe/hope... Given the current position of Theben, I would rather expect the VIN allocation this week
If this were likely, RCC EUROPE would be allocating VINs after THEBEN does, no? Given that RCC EUROPE is behind THEBEN.

Which would mean my UK VIN allocation would logically have to be from the GLOVIS SPLENDOR, which doesn’t seem to be coming to the UK.

While I freely admit this is possible, so is winning the Euromillions.

Evening all! Sunday 29 May 2022

Check the latest locations of the "Tesla" ships here.

GLOVIS SPLENDOR Due to arrive in Koper 01 Jun
She navigated the Suez Canal earlier today and is now in the Mediteranean heading for Koper where she will arrive on Wednesday afternoon.
The weather is looking fine for the remainder of her voyage.

THEBEN Due to arrive in Zeebrugge 14 Jun
She is in the final stage of her crossing of the Arabian Sea and is just entering an area of choppy seas so she may lose a knot or two as she passes through the area over the next 5-6 hrs but after that it should be smooth sailing all the way to the Suez Canal.
The THEBEN competition is still open! 98 entries so far!

RCC EUROPE I estimate will arrive in Southampton ~17 Jun
The big news for her is that hopes that she would make up for time lost earlier in her voyage have been dashed. She revised her ETA for Suez to 08 Jun and so I have revised my estimate accordingly to 17 Jun. She could still make 16 Jun but it will require a speed of over 20kts all the way from when she exits the Suez canal. Hmmmm, that might make an interesting competition - watch this space!

THEMIS LEADER is believed to be transporting Teslas to Singapore and Dubai. She docked in Singapore earlier today. Next stop will hopefully be Jebel Ali ~11 Jun

HORIZON LEADER Could arrive in Koper ~ 17 Jun or Zeebrugge ~23 Jun
She is confirmed to be a Tesla vessel but we don't actually know where she is heading to but it is most likley to be EU and either Koper or Zeebrugge. There are arguments to be had for either. She is heading initially for a refuel from a barge off Singapore on Wednesday. There are no weather issues.

I think the last hope for another shipment to EU was ARC COMMITMENT and she departed to Panama and so I don't think we will see any more ships heading to EU/UK this quarter. I don't see anything heading to Aus/NZ either. I'll continue to monitor Shanghai if only to establish a 'pattern of life' so that when a 'Tesla' charter does show up it will hopefully stand out. We were lucky this quarter in that all the shipments to EU/UK departed from Shanghai South which put the spotlight on the ships before they had even docked there.
Trying to read tea leaves gives more chance of accuracy, but........ given that there was an increase in UK EDD changes as RCC Europe left Singapore (I think), if the same thing happens again on Thursday/Friday would that imply that Horizon Leader may have some RHD cars too? I have a feeling that my 'July' date is likely a cancellation placeholder for RCC Europe, but living in hope that HL will get to port in time for me to get an end of June date.....

Status
Not open for further replies.