Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, ships that Tesla use to ship cars to Europe are Tesla charters, an entire ship with nothing but Teslas onboard. They use the Shanghai South dock where that video was filmed as its closest (5-10 min drive for the car transporter) and convenient for Tesla.

The NZ and AU bound cars get loaded on board a regular scheduled RORO service alongside whatever else is being shipped to NZ/AU by other manufacturers, those are handled at Haitong (which is over an hours drive from the Gigafactory) . So the Paganella which is NZ bound has just departed the Shanghai main automotive terminal could have a bunch of MGs, BYDs, Great Wall Motors and forklifts etc as well as our Teslas.

Paganellas' next stop is Masan in Korea, where she could unload some Teslas (?) and load a bunch of Kia/Hyundai etc, then on to Yokohama where she could pickup Japanese new or used cars for NZ.

Maybe one day Tesla will start chartering ships for NZ/AU, we are probably at about the level where one full RORO ship per quarter could be justified.
Australia can be a very expensive place to ship to. Filling the return leg is one of the problems.
If Tesla chartered a one-way leg they would probably end up effectively paying for the empty return leg too.
There are other probems with Australia shipments and that is the closed shop nature of the dock workers and handling agents. I won't stray further: suffice to say Ned Kelly is alive and well making a healthy living in the docks.

Australia can be a very expensive place to ship to. Filling the return leg is one of the problems.
If Tesla chartered a one-way leg they would probably end up effectively paying for the empty return leg too.

I'm sure that's already factored into their current rates. RORO cargo out of countries with no automotive manufacturing sector must be basically nonexistant.
There are other probems with Australia shipments and that is the closed shop nature of the dock workers and handling agents. I won't stray further: suffice to say Ned Kelly is alive and well making a healthy living in the docks.
Yes, NZ is much the same I would expect, particularly now that the council owned ports of Auckland have scrapped a failed 7 year automation project, so we will remain one of the least efficient (container) ports in the world bank rankings.

MORNING CHORUS is currently scheduled to arrive in Zeebrugge on 19 Aug. Whether she will have any Teslas left onboard is unknown at the moment since the shipment does appear to be RHD heavy. We should find out when VINS start to be allocated.
I would normally expect a dedicated Zeebrugge shipment (or two) to follow on but as yet I haven't identified anything. TITUS may become a suspect but I'm still looking...
What date would we expect to see vins etc allocated for this ship ?

Sunday 10 Jul 22

Still nothing to report.

I suppose I could update you on the three ships that I added to my watch list - LEO SPIRIT, POSEIDON LEADER and LIBERTY ACE.

LEO SPIRIT docked at the Tanjong Terminal in Singapore took a refuel and departed to Suez. Since I was expecting her to head for Zeebrugge there were no surprises but because she docked I have removed her from the watch list. (Tesla ships bound for Europe don't dock in Singapore)

POSEIDON LEADER has docked in Singapore and so therefore she is off the list too.

LIBERTY ACE is not making good progress on her voyage to Singapore and her ETA there is now 13 Jul. This lack of urgency is enough for me to strike her off the watch list too. (Having said that we did have a Tesla ship fanny about last quarter off Singapore but that ship was already a confirmed Tesla ship, LIBERTY ACE has no redeeming features)

So no ships on the watch list at present.

Links of interest

Last edited:
What date would we expect to see vins etc allocated for this ship ?

Thanks as ever for great insights! Do you have an estimate of when vins might start to be allocated if this is indeed a ship carrying Teslas to UK?
I'm no expert on VINs and don't want the thread to disappear down a VIN rabbit hole however for UK/EU it's always after the ship has departed. Feel free to start a new thread on this and standby to receive about 10 different answers. However I am pretty sure I am correct.:)

MORNING CHORUS is currently scheduled to arrive in Zeebrugge on 19 Aug. Whether she will have any Teslas left onboard is unknown at the moment since the shipment does appear to be RHD heavy. We should find out when VINS start to be allocated.
I would normally expect a dedicated Zeebrugge shipment (or two) to follow on but as yet I haven't identified anything. TITUS may become a suspect but I'm still looking...
How do you know the shipment is RHD heavy? Also if it is RHD heavy, then heavy with model 3 or Y?

• Funny
Reactions: alphapapa
That was a great video which showed no Teslas, as far as I could tell, ready for shipment from Haitong.
This will be a little concerning for Australian customers with MORNING CLARA docking imminently, probably tomorrow....
And yet today Australians are getting hit with a new wave of VIN assignments. There is the possibility the Teslas are hanging out under cover in the carpark buildings. Or there is a mad rush of car transporters from the factory to the port...

Reactions: ElsDee
@Mr Miserable I am following this thread for few weeks and I have noticed that you are not mentioning Koper often.
Is that because the thread is mainly for following UK delivery ships or you just don't see a ship that could arrive in Koper soon?
Is it possible that a ship which is delivering cars for UK makes a stop in Koper?

Reactions: unk45
Is that because the thread is mainly for following UK delivery ships or you just don't see a ship that could arrive in Koper soon?
Is it possible that a ship which is delivering cars for UK makes a stop in Koper?
Thread is for all Europe bound ships.

Ships are either for Koper or UK, not both.

Destination will be known for sure once the ship leaves Suez, or before that if you look at the VIN assignments reported here, or before that if you follow this thread. 😉

We are currently waiting for the first Q3 ships for Europe - likely delayed slightly by the Shanghai GF shutdown/upgrade.

Source: I’ve been here for 3 months and watched all the Q2 shipping movements…

Saturday 09 Jul 22

As far as ships to UK/EU are concerned the latest news is that MORNING CHORUS (which I believe will be the first Tesla ship to UK/EU in Q3) is now due to arrive at Shanghai South/Luchao on 14 Jul and will not now arrive in Southampton until 16 Aug.

For those in NZ, PAGANELLA has now departed Shanghai, arriving Aukland on 27 Jul.
She may also be taking some Teslas to Japan since she is scheduled to call at Yokohama on 13 Jul.
Anchored offshore and waiting to be called forward is MORNING CLARA. She is very likely to be carrying Teslas, including some MY, to Australia.

It would appear that production of RHD M3 is at full swing at the moment.

Over at Pier 80, my San Francisco correspondent confirms that VIKING QUEEN is still scheduled but her date has now slipped to 12 Jul. All three of the Pier 80 movements in July should be confirmed when the port schedule is published on Monday. All three of these ships are likely to be headed to the Far East and most likely to Taiwan.
Mr. M, noticed the below ships scheduled on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen website.
Three scheduled ships between Shanghai and Southampton
1. Morning Chorus - scheduled to arrive 16th August
2. Boheme - scheduled to arrive 25th August
3. Titus - scheduled to arrive 25th August.

You have mentioned Morning chorus earlier as the first likely Tesla ship. Any views on the other 2, they actually seem to be close enough to the EDD dates 05th Sept for my order!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.