Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR Projector to Matrix headlight retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the list of Toolbox levels of access here

@terranx I think you was looking into using PROC_ICE_X_SET-VEHICLE-CONFIG for changing gateway config, right? It seems it is accessible only by tbx-mothership Toolbox access :)
Technically I was using PROC_ICE_X_SAFE_SET-VEHICLE-CONFIG. We did have access in that the command does work for a very limited set of options with the tbx-external or whatever our access is called. But additional options require additional levels of access.

The other strategy I assume is to get onto the car's main network and get shell access right into the gateway itself. But easier said than done obviously.

I presume Tesla has a mothership database that tracks all the options and features of each vehicle delivered. Curiously, even if one manages to change the headlamp type on the car, will this create a conflict with or cause the mothership to command the car to roll back the changes during service or firmware/feature updates?

Is not I agree, but we still can not change it (headlight global no global) with the available toolbox.
yes, toolbox only lets you change 3 options: wheel type, tow package and ecall.
But that has nothing to do with secured configs. you can freely change a lot of other stuff taking directly to the gateway.
The "signed config" you described is only required for relatively few options like vin, level of autopilot purchased and other such usually paid features (though rear heated seats is surprisingly not in that list)

I presume Tesla has a mothership database that tracks all the options and features of each vehicle delivered. Curiously, even if one manages to change the headlamp type on the car, will this create a conflict with or cause the mothership to command the car to roll back the changes during service or firmware/feature updates?
That's what a tesla mobile guy told me, he can change it, but if it's not from engineers then it will be shortly reverted as the changes are not in the mothership.

We dont use toolbox for that, ubuntu is enough.
Ditto. I'd like to learn more about this.
There's a specific option, and I think you'd also need to do a little bit of wiring and swap out the inner taillights
Created an account to thank you and @verygreen for all you have done so far. I've been digging around primarily so I can enable passenger lumbar on my 2023 MY. It would be nice to be able to make this simple config change without needing to fork over $500.

I guess I've been sleeping. So the 2023 MYs have lumbar motors in the passenger seat, but not enabled and of course with switch missing? Once enabled, how is it controlled? Touchscreen?
No, it's retrofitted in with 2 parts that can be ordered from Tesla. I haven't actually done the retrofit yet until I confirm the gateway is set to enable passenger lumbar on the respective ECU. You can actually install the parts, but as long as the Tesla is configured to driver only lumbar, the passenger com bus will be disabled and the controls won't work.

No, it's retrofitted in with 2 parts that can be ordered from Tesla. I haven't actually done the retrofit yet until I confirm the gateway is set to enable passenger lumbar on the respective ECU. You can actually install the parts, but as long as the Tesla is configured to driver only lumbar, the passenger com bus will be disabled and the controls won't work.

Thanks, and welcome! You got your first "like"!

Thank you. :D. In theory, having someone with Toolbox issue [ {"configid":32,"data":"01"} ], should re-enable the passenger side, and if you then install parts 1118494-00-G and 1098530-00-F, you should have working passenger lumbar.
I tried this with the latest version of toolbox 3 on my account and it sadly said the change was unauthorized by my account level. I have a 2019 sr+ I am trying to make several small gateway changes to, like adding pws speaker etc., and none of those changes it takes even if I try this way above. Has anyone been able to successfully issue any gateway change command that isn't listed as changeable by the tesla 3 toolbox dashboard? I even went as far as reverse engineering how they are sending commands from toolbox 3 scripts to odin via a secured web socket. I was able to send odin a command I crafted with the same token I captured from my computer even, however it validates your access level by the tokenv2 that's sent, so changing things "unauthorized" is still blocked. I've been poking around for a way to get access to the gateway directly, but have been met with the firewall on the driver side diag port obviously. I've heard something about broadReach ethernet on the tuner side being the way in to talk to the gateway directly, but unsure how people are authenticating even with it. I have a broadR reach adapter so I plan to poke around on that, but have heard the mcu needs to be in recovery mode first. If anyone has any info on this stuff, or has made any progress on it, feel free to pm me.