Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Tesla Model 3 LR Projector to Matrix headlight retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately both adapters I tried didn't work, not sure if something I was doing was wrong, but it seems the Tesla broad R reach is really picky about the adapter. I know there are some sketchy ways to get the MCU into a mode you can write values, but they aren't posted publicly for people's own good. Yes though it involves socat in Ubuntu to send commands though.
Will never work, you need use gigabit Ethernet converter, more expensive toy.

Hello guys,
I have Tesla Model 3 LR end of 2018. I purchased Matrix LED one of it is working perectly, but the other the beam is in the sky. Can I have to do something to sync this one? I tried from the menu but the lights are not moving at all.

Hello guys,
I have Tesla Model 3 LR end of 2018. I purchased Matrix LED one of it is working perectly, but the other the beam is in the sky. Can I have to do something to sync this one? I tried from the menu but the lights are not moving at all.

I heard that some matrix headlights are prone to broken parts inside, including the adjustment motor mounts. Try shaking the headlight. If you things rattling, you might have a problem. Also, have someone else adjust the up/down while you listen--see if you can hear the motor trying to move.

The other thing you can try is to reload the software. Go into service menu to do that. If the headlight software is out of sync, it may not respond as expected.

Curiously, did you buy the headlights new or used? Also, did you do a retrofit or did your car already have matrix?

UDP commands through the diag eth port.

Buddy of mine is trying to put matrix on his model Y. We have the gateway commands to set it.

But can’t seem to find a way to unlock the gateway / eth plug to do the change. Anyone can help ?
Did you try unlocking the gateway in service mode?

Also can you share some info about the commands?

Did you specifically do the gateway unlock procedure? Also which ethernet port are you connected to? Might have to use one of the internal ones.

I’m happy to share anything I know, but don’t think I have much more to offer than what I’ve already posted over the months / years.

Did you specifically do the gateway unlock procedure? Also which ethernet port are you connected to? Might have to use one of the internal ones.

I’m happy to share anything I know, but don’t think I have much more to offer than what I’ve already posted over the months / years.
We tested the lan port on the drivers side. Didn’t want to pull the glove box out just yet.

Got the GW unlock to show on the screen ( which apparently isn’t the same as unlocking the Ethernet port )

Just did the retrofit on my 2020 Model 3 and it worked successfully! I bought new matrix headlights on eBay for around $550 and swapped them out myself. Found a contact on the forum that was able to do the gateway config change for me remotely and it worked! Super happy with the install and was able to sell my old headlights for $250 so didn't spend that much money in total. I also had to buy the ethernet to diagnostic cable as I have an intel MCU. Even changes to show matrix lights on your app and the in vehicle visualization. Shows TESLA text in light show too.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 28
Just did the retrofit on my 2020 Model 3 and it worked successfully! I bought new matrix headlights on eBay for around $550 and swapped them out myself. Found a contact on the forum that was able to do the gateway config change for me remotely and it worked! Super happy with the install and was able to sell my old headlights for $250 so didn't spend that much money in total. I also had to buy the ethernet to diagnostic cable as I have an intel MCU. Even changes to show matrix lights on your app and the in vehicle visualization. Shows TESLA text in light show too.
This is awesome! Can you elaborate a bit more on the need for an ethernet diagnostic cable? Why was it needed? How'd you use it? etc.

I also have an Intel MCU and would love to try the retrofit so trying to gather as much info as possible.

This is awesome! Can you elaborate a bit more on the need for an ethernet diagnostic cable? Why was it needed? How'd you use it? etc.

I also have an Intel MCU and would love to try the retrofit so trying to gather as much info as possible.
In the foot area of your model 3/y there is the diagnostic connector which is used for technicians to run toolbox and service mode plus on the car, they can manually run software updates, make gateway changes, and see extra information about the car. The intel cars have a proprietary connector for this and you have to get a diagnostic to ethernet cable to be able to plug in a computer. You can find them on ebay for $20-$25. You need the diagnostic cable to access service mode plus to change the gateway config of your car to be from the "US" or nonmatrix headlights to "GLOBAL" or matrix headlights. Then you reinstall the software and it updates the control module on the new headlights and pairs them.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and dasn

you swapped it out directly? I thought the plugs were different