Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched this video a few days ago. It's definitely heading in the right direction to handle a lot more UK roads than I thought it would in the short term. Obviously single track roads with passing spaces are not likely to navigable by any system for a long time yet, but the streets in this video are quite similar to urban/suburban UK layouts in a lot of ways.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Passing is basically about either one driver reversing to a wider section or both drivers putting the cars half into the hedge

OK, one difficult situation (of many). That situation is bound to exist somewhere in USA too ...

FSDBeta currently has a struggle with roads where it is, only just, wide enough for two cars to pass (perhaps have to edge onto the verge) and if, also, there are no road markings. Tesla will just stop and let the other car have right of way - so basically "manual intervention". But if there is a median line (i.e. only just wide enough for cars to pass) it handles it (which it didn't a month or two back)

People park in the opposite direction of the traffic flow

Watched a video today where there was a garbage truck double parked (completely blocking the lane) and a double-line in middle of road, and traffic backed up in opposite direction. Tesla just waited until the opposing traffic cleared, and then crossed the double-white line to pass the double-parked truck.

I just don't see these sorts of things as significantly different to USA / unique to UK such that "It will never come to UK". And if it will do everything, except some edged cases such as single-track rural roads with passing places - and where it is possible to hand-off to driver (i.e. doesn't encounter such situations "suddenly"), well that's not going to be RoboTaxi, but it would certainly be good enough for most people, most of the time

One point of note, somewhat relevant here, is that the new 2023.12.10 release seems to be (a first attempt at) the merge of the FSD beta and production codebases.

It's had a very limited rollout so far - even in the US - and miniscule outside. But the point is that this appears to be a single firmware version that can run as a normal production firmware version, and also as an FSD beta version (in North America).

The initial reports that FSD beta was being rolled out (to employees?) in Europe are almost certainly false. The point is actually that this release marks an end to having different firmware versions for FSD beta cars and "normal" cars - or at least, that seems to be the intention.

This does make me vaguely hopeful that the work that Tesla has been doing on FSD beta might filter down to our cars as significant improvements to AP in the not too distant future (next few months, probably). We shall see ..

Reactions: QuanTim and goRt
Why do you think it is questionable?

I get that Tesla is a USA company, and all the FSDbeta stuff is happening there, but they have significantly different driving rules state-to-state (and I would be very surprised if the software isn't being built to be "configurable" for various road-furniture and regulatory requirements and so on.
Because although it handled all the wide, grid layout roads, intersections, stop signs and lights in the city and the freeway, it became jittery, slow and nervous in housing areas where there were no markings delineating the opposing lanes (sound familiar to those in the UK?).

I just don’t see how any autonomous vehicle relying on cameras alone could manage many of our narrower B roads, country lanes and heavily congested cities like central London.

Also, at one junction in the city with two parallel lanes turning together it was obvious to us that the car to the right would try to get ahead and potentially cut across into our lane. FSD beta set off quite gently, the other car started to move across and ours lit up with warnings and basically made a semi-emergency stop in busy traffic. A driver would anticipate this by seeing the other car rolling on the clutch and manage the situation more appropriately.

Basic Autopilot is useful to me on longer motorway journeys although less so now the wipers can have a mind of their own. I remain very cynical that Tesla will be the first to achieve anything that is truly autonomous in our country with the current hardware and software.

Last edited:
FSD beta set off quite gently [...] A driver would anticipate this by seeing the other car rolling on the clutch [...]

I'm very confused at to what we're talking about here. As far as I'm aware, FSD beta is only available in North America where clutches (and manual transmissions) barely exist.

In which part of the world did you experience this?

I'm very confused at to what we're talking about here. As far as I'm aware, FSD beta is only available in North America where clutches (and manual transmissions) barely exist.

In which part of the world did you experience this?
Idaho USA & my error in explanation sorry. I should have described it more correctly as rolling gently on the brake pedal because of course, almost everything here has automatic transmission.

Because although it handled all the wide, grid layout roads, intersections, stop signs and lights in the city and the freeway, it became jittery, slow and nervous in housing areas where there were no markings delineating the opposing lanes (sound familiar to those in the UK?)

FSD beta set off quite gently, the other car started to move across and ours lit up with warnings and basically made a semi-emergency stop in busy traffic. A driver would anticipate this by seeing the other car rolling on the clutch and manage the situation more appropriately.

Sure, the easier / more common stuff is being done first. FSDbeta also doesn't, yet, slow for speed bumps, doesn't handle speed limit for schools (USA regs, not something we have here), USA-style railway crossings and so on.

The things you describe are similar "not yet" features, and scenarios which also occur in USA (even if not common there), but I don't see them as indicative that it is questionable whether Tesla will bring FSD to EU / UK

As far as I'm aware, FSD beta is only available in North America

Software Update monitoring API APPs have (recently) noticed FSDbeta versions in Belgium, Germany and Australia - may be only Staff test vehicles of course.

LOL, you just reminded me. There is a canal bridge not too far from us on a B-Road. The speed limit is 60. At one point, there were 30 signs, but they were knocked over and never replaced! :rolleyes: Just imagining a Tesla in FSD going over UK canal bridges anywhere, let alone this one. Dukes of Hazzard, anyone?

LOL, you just reminded me. There is a canal bridge not too far from us on a B-Road. The speed limit is 60. At one point, there were 30 signs, but they were knocked over and never replaced! :rolleyes: Just imagining a Tesla in FSD going over UK canal bridges anywhere, let alone this one. Dukes of Hazzard, anyone?

It doesn't purely rely on speed signs, it also looks at map data. The speed limit signs can override that.

Just imagining a Tesla in FSD going over UK canal bridges anywhere, let alone this one

Some of the ones over the dikes in the fens are at least flat, rather than hump back, but not uncommon that there is a right angle bend on the far side - with road then continuing along the water's edge ... I know that 'coz as a young man, before my FSD was fully trained :), I too failed to anticipate that :)

The map data (as used by Tesla) seems so hopelessly behind reality that it needs a much better data source - I would have thought crowd-sources from actual Tesla drivers would be worthwhile - road-speed @ GPS type of thing.

Reactions: Lee Davis
One point of note, somewhat relevant here, is that the new 2023.12.10 release seems to be (a first attempt at) the merge of the FSD beta and production codebases.

It's had a very limited rollout so far - even in the US - and miniscule outside. But the point is that this appears to be a single firmware version that can run as a normal production firmware version, and also as an FSD beta version (in North America).

The initial reports that FSD beta was being rolled out (to employees?) in Europe are almost certainly false. The point is actually that this release marks an end to having different firmware versions for FSD beta cars and "normal" cars - or at least, that seems to be the intention.

This does make me vaguely hopeful that the work that Tesla has been doing on FSD beta might filter down to our cars as significant improvements to AP in the not too distant future (next few months, probably). We shall see ..
Just been taking advantage of the Bank Holiday sunshire to vacuum and dust the interior. (Living the dream . . .) While I was doing it, 2023.12.9 started downloading so once it had arrived I did an immediate update. That meant I could watch the progress on the screen. It spent a fair amount of time saying it was updating Autopilot.

Unfortunately, I haven't got anywhere Autopiloty to go until work tomorrow.

Reactions: Lee Davis