Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 After market suspension upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried swapping their suspension in the 2023 Model Y I see a lot of talk on the forums about Ohlins, MPP, Unplugged Performance, and KW. Just wondering if anyone has tried this on the 2023 build. I know 2023 has a “comfort suspension” but just curious on other mods people made.

Video or links if you have someone that did this experiment :)

The comfort suspension will be replaced if you change to coilovers, then the shocks and springs will be new.
This means that it wont differ in regards to older cars.

That beeing said I did run KW V3 on Model 3 Performance, it was lower and harder than stock 3P but it was less bouncy.
The 2023 YP however is less bouncy than the 3P was and its more comfortable.
The question that begs to be answered is: are you feeling that your car is too soft? Is it too stiff? Is it too tall/too much air in the wheel arches?
What do you want to gain? KW has both the V3 and they have a "levelling" kit for the Y.
Koni is arriving with red and yellow shocks for Y soon, I believe red will be for stock springs and yellow for lowering.

Reactions: redgsrguy
The comfort suspension will be replaced if you change to coilovers, then the shocks and springs will be new.
This means that it wont differ in regards to older cars.

That beeing said I did run KW V3 on Model 3 Performance, it was lower and harder than stock 3P but it was less bouncy.
The 2023 YP however is less bouncy than the 3P was and its more comfortable.
The question that begs to be answered is: are you feeling that your car is too soft? Is it too stiff? Is it too tall/too much air in the wheel arches?
What do you want to gain? KW has both the V3 and they have a "levelling" kit for the Y.
Koni is arriving with red and yellow shocks for Y soon, I believe red will be for stock springs and yellow for lowering.
Looking for less bounce suspension sucks feels like stuff is always shaking around in car and making noises especially the garage door opener

I, too, am researching suspension upgrades for 2023/2024 YP, as I'm about to return my leased YP (leased to see if the 'experiment' would work, range, charging, etc, it sure did!) and am EXTREMELY disappointed in the crap suspension on my 2020 YP - the back seat is unliveable, it's ridiculous.

I know they've 'upgraded' the suspension in 2023, also supposedly minor upgrades in prior model years, but has anyone done a side-by-side 2020 YP and 2023/2024 YP? Is it really better, perhaps, suitable? Or are upgrades needed?

The other frustration is paint color...sigh...such boring colors

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
I have a 2023 MYP, never rode in an earlier model so can't compare, but the so called comfort suspension isn't all the comfortable. I see so many posts loving it but I feel that people are mistaking a rough ride with "sporty". I am looking for something that keeps the stock height but rides better for local daily driving(I have already switched to 19s).

There are so many differing opinions on the different choices out there currently. Everyone seems to swear by whatever brand they own! Currently waiting to see how the Koni's review and if they drop the car at all. Also curious about the "cloud-spec" FPX Coilovers

Seen some recent guys buy and sell MPP Comforts Noflash / Heckraiser (on a 3 not Y)

One guy sold his Ohlins while another loves his Chewspec / blueprint12

Lastly my buddy got Tein Flex Z recently on his new 2023 MYP and he says they are a minor/moderate improvement over stock but the MYP with Ohlins rode way better on his local roads. vietfella

A few other users love their Endurapro plus as a cheap alternative but say there is definitely room for improvement.

I am looking forward to seeing some more input from users on existing and upcoming shocks/coilovers.

I have a 2023 MYP, never rode in an earlier model so can't compare, but the so called comfort suspension isn't all the comfortable. I see so many posts loving it but I feel that people are mistaking a rough ride with "sporty". I am looking for something that keeps the stock height but rides better for local daily driving(I have already switched to 19s).

There are so many differing opinions on the different choices out there currently. Everyone seems to swear by whatever brand they own! Currently waiting to see how the Koni's review and if they drop the car at all. Also curious about the "cloud-spec" FPX Coilovers

Seen some recent guys buy and sell MPP Comforts Noflash / Heckraiser (on a 3 not Y)

One guy sold his Ohlins while another loves his Chewspec / blueprint12

Lastly my buddy got Tein Flex Z recently on his new 2023 MYP and he says they are a minor/moderate improvement over stock but the MYP with Ohlins rode way better on his local roads. vietfella

A few other users love their Endurapro plus as a cheap alternative but say there is definitely room for improvement.

I am looking forward to seeing some more input from users on existing and upcoming shocks/coilovers.
18s make a diff

I believe my early 2021 Model Y LR is rough, especially in the backseat. I'm looing for a good solution for a more comfortable ride at stock height. My current thought is to test drive a 23 MY LR with comfort suspension. If I like it I'll order the parts and install on mine. Other idea is to sell the car and buy something else with a nice ride.

2022 MYP on 19" Geminis.

I'm looking for a suspension upgrade that'll primarily make the car less jittery over bumps - my car rattles like a mf (particularly the driver and passenger seatbelts), and the stock suspension really isn't helping with that.

Bonus points if it helps with the low frequency rumbling/booming over the bumps.

Which third party suspension upgrade would be the best for this? Prioritizing ride comfort over dynamics and handling.

Mountain Pass Performance? Unplugged Performance? Something else? Or try to get the OEM comfort suspension - how does that compare to the third party options?

EDIT: Just saw these Redwood Motorsport FPX coilovers which claim to be "the most comfortable" available. Any thoughts? Model Y FPX Coilovers - Engineered by FPSpec for Redwood Motorsports

2022 MYP on 19" Geminis.

I'm looking for a suspension upgrade that'll primarily make the car less jittery over bumps - my car rattles like a mf (particularly the driver and passenger seatbelts), and the stock suspension really isn't helping with that.

Bonus points if it helps with the low frequency rumbling/booming over the bumps.

Which third party suspension upgrade would be the best for this? Prioritizing ride comfort over dynamics and handling.

Mountain Pass Performance? Unplugged Performance? Something else? Or try to get the OEM comfort suspension - how does that compare to the third party options?

EDIT: Just saw these Redwood Motorsport FPX coilovers which claim to be "the most comfortable" available. Any thoughts? Model Y FPX Coilovers - Engineered by FPSpec for Redwood Motorsports
Since suspension is very personal and highly subjective, the only way is to find demo rides.
Go to shops that carry X,Y, and Z parts. They each usually have a shop guy who's put them on his car.
Find someone in your area that has done the suspension change and beg a ride.
Go to your local Tesla showroom and see if they have a demo with the new 'comfort' suspension.

fetar30310: I'm in Fort Worth, 35k miles on my MPP Comfort coilovers, 45k miles on the car. They handle the nasty DFW concrete issues much better than stockOEM, but as tangible1 and others have said, "suspension is very personal and highly subjective." Regional road surfaces are a very strong aspect of this discussion.

When I purchased the MPPs, the choices were UPP, MPP, Ohlins, around $1700, $2600, $3500, approx. UPP wasn't getting their products out quickly (Covid supply chain issues) and no one could convince me that, other than marginally superior quality (?), that the Ohlins would be substantially smoother on city streets than the MPP, so...I went with the MPPs. No regrets.

Hope this helps. If you get to the DFW area anytime soon, let me know, and you can check my car out for yourself.

I didn’t see this one and started a similar thread. Most guys use and review the sport versions.

Important factors are spring rate, single over dual piston, dual adjustable over single, aluminum over steel, warranty and support / serviceability .

Hijacking this thread since no replies in mine. …
MPP spring compresses when lowering.
Tein comes with top hat, which means you never mess with spring compressor but low end.
After hours of reading and videos, I’m leaning towards Redwood over UP.

(moderator note)

I deleted some posts in this thread that were a discussion about manufacturing location information, that was not proven, and frankly came across as somewhat xenophobic.

No one considers apple iPhones poorly made, however they are not made in the US (for example).

In any case, I dont have a problem with stating manufacturing origin of something, but if there is contention about it, or it differs from what the manufacturer actually says the location is, then that needs to come with some other proof, not just "look it up".

(moderator note)

I deleted some posts in this thread that were a discussion about manufacturing location information, that was not proven, and frankly came across as somewhat xenophobic.

No one considers apple iPhones poorly made, however they are not made in the US (for example).

In any case, I dont have a problem with stating manufacturing origin of something, but if there is contention about it, or it differs from what the manufacturer actually says the location is, then that needs to come with some other proof, not just "look it up".

Not sure how what I wrote is xenophobic 🤷‍♂️

Your logic is also flawed… comparing apples to oranges.

I posted here about the Koni Yellow

I’m going to put Endurapro in another car soon (2021 MYP). I think any aftermarket shock is a huge improvement over stock. I just got the yellow because it was on BF sale. TBH the 2023 and 2021 suspensions felt very similar to me - bad.