Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to better understand software versions and rollouts (I'm just looking at US stats right now). Based on Tesla-info's stats, it would appear that:
  1. 2023.44.30.5.1 is primarily targeted Model 3s, Model Ys, and all year 2022 vehicles. (see here)
  2. 2023.44.30.6 is primarily targeting everything else (see here)
  3. There's a little bit of leakage of 2023.44.30.6 to 2023 Model Ys (which I'm actually included in with my 23 MYP). Also for 2021 Model Ss and for the 2023 ModelX (which appears on both)
Is there a difference in hardware or something that might explain the different model targets? Seems like vehicles will likely either get 5.1 or .6 (and 5.1 vehicles likely won't get .6?). I have 'advanced' selected for updates - maybe that matters?

I'm still trying to better understand software versions and rollouts (I'm just looking at US stats right now). Based on Tesla-info's stats, it would appear that:
  1. 2023.44.30.5.1 is primarily targeted Model 3s, Model Ys, and all year 2022 vehicles. (see here)
  3. There's a little bit of leakage of 2023.44.30.6 to 2023 Model Ys (which I'm actually included in with my 23 MYP). Also for 2021 Model Ss and for the 2023 ModelX (which appears on both)
Is there a difference in hardware or something that might explain the different model targets? Seems like vehicles will likely either get 5.1 or .6 (and 5.1 vehicles likely won't get .6?). I have 'advanced' selected for updates - maybe that matters?
Tesla hasn't detailed differences between .5.1 and .6. However, it's clear that cars will receive one of these two versions as the 'final' Holiday Update. No cars appear to be updated from .5.1 to .6.

Setting the update selector to Standard or Advanced has not, in the two years I've had a Tesla, seemed to affect what, or when, an update arrives.

Well the tech just left. He said that he did not know exactly about why the FSD is disable but he believed that the hardware version of the cameras has something to do wit it. He said he would contact me if he had any other info to pass along. He said he has hardware 3 cameras he updated in his Model S and it did not any issues. He said he updated his cameras like 2 months ago. He had version 2 cameras like my vehicle.

M

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla hasn't detailed differences between .5.1 and .6. However, it's clear that cars will receive one of these two versions as the 'final' Holiday Update. No cars appear to be updated from .5.1 to .6.

Setting the update selector to Standard or Advanced has not, in the two years I've had a Tesla, seemed to affect what, or when, an update arrives.
Thanks - that's where I had arrived at as well but would have made more sense if hw4 vehicles .6 and all others got .5.1 - just strange. And thanks for the note on standard vs advanced.

Just brought my car home. June 2021 Model 3.

Windshield harness + triplecam replacement seems to have solved my issues. The technician found high resistance in the harness.

Really strange that a software bug could have caused this issue. I don’t think I’ll ever immediately update a Tesla again!

Reactions: OxBrew

I wonder if .6 are cars without uss. (Have one car with 5.1 and one with .6)

Just got the estimate report from Tesla for my appointment on 1/4. Looks like they want to disconnect and reconnect the 12volt battery to fix my black cameras in reverse and loss of visualizations which results in no autopilot functions at a cost of $11.75. I have temporarily fixed the issue 3 or 4 times with a 2 button brake pedal reset. When I get back home in a few days I'll probably try this myself.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Just brought my car home. June 2021 Model 3.

Windshield harness + triplecam replacement seems to have solved my issues. The technician found high resistance in the harness.

Really strange that a software bug could have caused this issue. I don’t think I’ll ever immediately update a Tesla again!
With millions of Teslas out there, random failures occur daily. Some of these will happen on the day of an update even if the update has no relation to the failure. You may just be have been unlucky.

Software update can't change resistance but may have changed threshold introducing less tolerance for high resistance. In other words, the high resistance was there before but issue didn't manifest until new version.
It's far more likely it's just a random coincidence, or possibly the software update forced a restart and the system only checks some conditions on restart.

In a data centre environment it's quite common for a major software update to seemingly kill hardware because the hardware does a self test at power on and some components that have not literally failed yet will be close enough that they don't pass the health test.

Well the tech just left. He said that he did not know exactly about why the FSD is disable but he believed that the hardware version of the cameras has something to do wit it. He said he would contact me if he had any other info to pass along. He said he has hardware 3 cameras he updated in his Model S and it did not any issues. He said he updated his cameras like 2 months ago. He had version 2 cameras like my vehicle.

M
Solved the issue totally by accident. So I could not get Autosteer or FSD enable. BUT I wanted to have a new battery installed since mine was 4 years old. So after that still had the issue. Decided to do another hard reset.after that and all is well now. Just FYI.

Happy New Year !!

M