Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took 2022 MSLR, USS no FSD or Autosteer with update 2023.44.30.5.1 out to Costco. No 3D park assist rendering, still just squigly lines. Saw traffic light graphics on nav map. Saw red border blindspot indication. Tried the holiday light show. No problems on anything, over it already.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Well the 44.30.2 wasn't noticeably worse than the previous, so I downloaded 44.39.5.1 It is noticeably worse. Went for a 6 mile or so drive and that was enough.

The nav was updated and the nags are much, much more frequent - basically continuous.

Met a car on a two lane highway. They were nicely in their lane, not speeding particularly and with their headlights shining. They appeared in the display when they were around 30 feet away and instantly the car slammed on the brakes. The guy behind me was tailgating, likely waiting for a gap to pass me. I was hovering over the accelerator and punched it. The car let me do that and responded quickly and there wasn't any damage done, although I'm guessing behind guy will leave a little more gap for the rest of the day. He certainly didn't waste any time passing me and getting far away as quickly as possible.

There weren't any dry wipes in the carport, but then there weren't any wipes when it began to rain either. No prob, I can push the stalk button for a wipe until my finger tires out. On the model-T I had to reach up and move the wiper manually - this is at least 1 step better than that.

I can't speak to fsd, tacc, ap, etc. I have everything I can turn off, off, except music of course. If one of these updates destroys USB I will be disappointed.

It remains the most unsafe vehicle I have ever driven, including some airplanes.

I can't speak to fsd, tacc, ap, etc. I have everything I can turn off, off,
Do you really?

The nav was updated and the nags are much, much more frequent - basically continuous.
You only get nags when using AP or FSD... But you say you aren't using them...

I was hovering over the accelerator and punched it.
If you were only hovering over the accelerator you were intending to slow down/stop. (Or you were using TACC/AP which you say you weren't.)

So, I question if you have any idea what you are using.

BLUF: 2023.44.30.x seems to be randomly, and indiscriminately to model, bricking FSD computers (or at least the communication to them.) Caution is recommend before applying any follow-on update to the holiday update. (Honestly, if you haven't already applied the holiday update and are risk adverse, I'd skip it for now.) Below for details.

For me (2020 S Performance HW3 FSD USS), and some others, 2023.44.30.6 bricked FSD/AP entirely and disabled all ADAS features (TACC, AP/FSD, Summon, Emergency Braking, Park Assist, etc...) and displays a message stating "Software update required. Schedule service." No amount of rebooting, deep sleeping, powering down, etc... seems to solve it. Nor does a forced reinstall. More than anecdotal results seem to be popping up here and /r/TeslaLounge.

There's likely more out there, and more is likely to come. This software update seems buggy/botched and causing real issues.

Hopefully an OTA update can fix this, otherwise there will be an influx of folks having to have mobile/in-center service. 😞

Service mode screenshots attached for reference.

1703396657734.png

1703396682784.png

Attachments

• 1703395952539.png
    1703395952539.png
    645.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 1703395968008.png
    1703395968008.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Not sure if it is the same issue, but 2023.44.30.5.1 disappeared FSD from the Auto Pilot menu - only TACC & auto steer was showing, not even navigate on Auto Pilot was available. The fix was to go to the search menu and enter "full". When the FSD tab pops up, select Full Self Driving and, with that screen still up, do a scroll wheel reboot.

2023 Model S (LR) Refresh.
2023.44.30.6 Installed. A few comments related to some items:

1) Parking Visualizations: Look good and a step up. Now about as useful as USS would be in my garage with 8ft openeing, lolly columns, shelves, etc. USS on other vehicles I'v had would just beep all the time. (duh...you're close to something!) Now I can get a better idea of how close I actually am to something and where. Have not tried it in parking lots yet, but the big improvement for me will be the visualization of the parking lines to make sure parking is straight, and visualization hopefully of curbs in the front when I park head-in.

I do wish that the visualization would be on the big screen (At least as an option), so I could rotate the view around, zoom ,etc.

2) All the new "sounds" work as expected.

3) Rear screen improvements. Great improvements, but still some limitations:
* Gaming is now available on rear screen. However, STEAM is not included in back seat gaming...just the other built in games. I'm guessing that steam consumes to much power or is not "compatible" for use while someone is driving. This indicates to me that when/if Tesla allows Level 3/4/5 autonomous driving on the highway, that Steam will not be available to the front driver either....just a guess. Still does not pair with XBox One controllers, but PS5 controllers work fine.

* Rear bluetooth headphones: Works, but only for specific use cases. It looks like the rear bluetooth audio is designed mainly for using Theater apps (video and games) The rear seat passengers can NOT:
1) hear the radio (standard "audio sources") through the headphones at all.
2) Listen to a separate radio app stream than the front seat passengers.

So for example, the rear seat passenger cannot listen to Spotify while the driver is listening to something on Sirius XM.

The rear passengers CAN:
1) Watch / listen to any video app in the Theater or play a game, while the front passengers listen to other audio (Spotify., Radio, etc) on the main speakers.

So for example, the rear passengers can watch Netflix or Youtube while the driver is listening to Spotify.

4) I have not tried AutoPilot yet, or the blind spot warnings...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne