Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first car I had with a heated steering wheel was a 2017 Audi. Our 2011 Honda odyssey doesn’t and the overwhelming majority of cars sold do not have them. Funny how we’re all alive. Or maybe it’s actually not so dangerous and some people are just misinformed.

Reactions: KennethS
I am curious by the intensity of your feelings regarding driving with gloves on.

A cursory search didn’t really reveal wearing gloves as a significant danger (unlike texting or using mobile phones whilst driving, not wearing seat belts, those seemed to come up repeatedly).

Is this something you were taught in the past or did you have a bad personal experience with gloves?

Also….. there are gloves and gloves, I suppose.

I am curious by the intensity of feeling from the usual thumbs down brigade.
OK, as you're not interested in engaging in dialogue I will bow out.

EDIT: To satisfy your curiosity, I thumbed you down because I disagree with you. Mostly because your views seem to be disproportionately expressed ("Darwin Award levels of stupidity" seemed way over the top) and also because I couldn't find evidence to support your strong views.
People are allowed to disagree with you.

Thank you
Yes, I did see that article. Pretty much top if the list when you search :)

I didn't give it a lot of credence because it's some newspaper quoting "motoring experts". Who are they? When did they say that? What evidence is there for that statement?
I searched a bit more deeply to find if there was any evince to support that statement but couldn't find any easily. If it's there, its a bit buried :)

Reactions: sleepydoc
That article is hilarious

"Scarves, meanwhile, could impact visibility, as could hats and puffy coats, the experts warn."

I would strongly argue if you're likely to put on a scarf in such a way that it's blindfolding you that you really shouldn't be driving at all, all year round.

Only advanced drivers wear gloves, and all Lexus drivers (the Japanese Mercedes)

1702630424882.png

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc and WllXM
No. Why would I want my hands to slip on the steering wheel, especially when it’s cold and potentially icy?

It’s Darwin Award levels of stupid, I may as well smear my hands with oil before setting off for a drive
it is actually quite normal to wear leather gloves in winter (when it is not like -30, but mild -5).. And it would be normal to drive with gloves. because you cannot touch steering wheel from more than 2 s when it is -20 and you get inside the car. also it takes few miles for ICE cars to heat up in order to become bearable.

some people even use ones to be called "driving gloves"

Last edited:
Thank you
Yes, I did see that article. Pretty much top if the list when you search :)

I didn't give it a lot of credence because it's some newspaper quoting "motoring experts". Who are they? When did they say that? What evidence is there for that statement?
I searched a bit more deeply to find if there was any evince to support that statement but couldn't find any easily. If it's there, its a bit buried :)
Indeed. I didn't say I agreed with the sentiments in that piece, in fact I found it quite ridiculous. As I find it ridiculous that a thread on the holiday update has descended into an argument about the safety of driving while wearing gloves.

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
What evidence is there for that statement?

Errr....

Doing so could put you in breach of Rule 97 of the Highway Code.

The rule states that drivers must have “footwear and clothing which does not prevent you using the controls in the correct manner.”

That seems pretty clear cut to me.

You could also put some gloves on and run your hands around the steering wheel to see for yourself.

it is actually quite normal to wear leather gloves in winter
Fair enough, I've never owned a pair of leather gloves so I don't know how good or bad the grip would be with those on.

"Scarves, meanwhile, could impact visibility, as could hats and puffy coats, the experts warn."
Hats! See...
Fair enough, I've never owned a pair of leather gloves so I don't know how good or bad the grip would be with those on.
Just the same as it would be when a cow drives. And as everyone knows; cows are udder lunatics on the road, especially when their hands are friesian.

Mod comment:

There's nothing in the site rules that I can see that explicitly prohibits the discussion on hats and gloves, but the point is well made that its hardly relevant to the topic.

I'm loathed to delete unless I really need to, moving to off topic area is really for snippiness and thats rarely done now, so it would be easier if we can just get this back on topic please

I'll take a stab...

I read last night that we're probably looking at 2023.44.30 now, and may include some of the stuff related to the 'recall'...

Looks like:
  • Additional Controls and Alerts
  • Visual Alert Prominence
  • Enhanced Checks and Limiting Use
  • Suspension for Autopilot
^^^ From NotATeslaApp.com

What of that may or may not apply to the UK, I have no idea...

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits