Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(You are not alone…)

Two car here and got nothing on either...

giphy.gif

I must be getting old.. but I still still use my wing mirrors when parking. I judge distance to front bumper and front corners with my eye balls. I only use the backup camera for judging distance to the back bumper. I’ve even turned off all the bingbong sounds. Never crashed into anything.

Why is everyone so fussed about HFPA and sensors? How are people learning to drive and park these days? If doing a parallel park, do people first start the manoeuvre by looking at the screen? Do people look at the screen half way through or at the end?(Serious question because I genuinely don’t know.)

I get the “assist” part of it (camera’s assist with judging distance, sensors warn, etc) but it sounds like people are relying solely on this feature to park?
I’ve dinged a car in the past a long time ago before we had sensors when parked up in an industrial estate. Some t*** went and dumped a mini skip right behind my car. Came out of the office and was unable to see it as I got into the car which was parked front forwards. Couldn’t see anything in rear view as it was below the window line and reversed into it. I don’t think most people walk around their car checking for new obstructions that might have appeared, they just hop in and go.

No matter how good you are, accidents do happen and sensors help minimise that.