Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve found the distance estimations of my USS to be quite good.....

We have 2 Model 3's in the family, one with, one without USS.

I agree with you - the USS distance estimation is pretty accurate and consistent.

Vision based distance estimation is (was!) all over the place.....which is why they have removed distnaces from the latest Vision based Park Assist I strongly suspect!!!

Reactions: sleepydoc
I’ve found the distance estimations of my USS to be quite good, actually better than my perception of the distance on the wide angle rear camera. The main problem is they image things like kerbs show up inconsistently if at all using USS. Of course, USS are not infallible - the screen frequently shows me parked over the rubbish bin in our garage!
I don't think the image of your rubbish bin is coming from the USS. That would be the camera feed overlaid over the USS data which is why the non USS cars are having issues.
For me the biggest issue with the USS is that they just say "STOP" when you get within 12" of anything.
Manoeuvring in UK carparks without getting within 12" of pretty much everything is basically impossible so as a maneuvering aid they are not the best.

Reactions: init6 and sleepydoc
For me the biggest issue with the USS is that they just say "STOP" when you get within 12" of anything.

Whereas Vision said 'STOP' at real distnaces of anything between 10" and 36" (whilst reporting ~12" on screen) - same manoeuvre repeated multiple times in same lighting / weather etc.

At least with the USS, the measurements are pretty consistent and accurate so you can continue manoeuvreing through the "STOP" warning with some confidence you know where you are vs. the obstacle(s)

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau and Jason71
I don't think the image of your rubbish bin is coming from the USS. That would be the camera feed overlaid over the USS data which is why the non USS cars are having issues.
Manoeuvring in UK carparks without getting within 12" of pretty much everything is basically impossible so as a maneuvering aid they are not the best.
You need some ‘merican-sized carparks! (Of course we don’t have to deal with cities originally designed by the Romans for parking chariots…)

Tight spaces are tough - I really don’t trust anything other than a camera (or a human) for distances under 12”

For somebody who doesn't speed, you seem awfully concerned about being able to see where speed cameras are.

Well they are commonly referred to as "safety cameras" by the Police/campaign groups, and who wouldn't want to know where the accident black spots are that have caused them to be installed? It's all in the name of safety, innit?

Not like the 4 coppers who regularly camp on a benign stretch of 30mph segregated dual carriageway, ignoring the non-segregated bit a mile down the road where you regularly see head-on collisions. These fixed camera things are actually about safety. 👌

Specifically at night?

No - rarely go out at night, at present. Sorry not to be more help.

I wonder which high-paid software engineer thought it would be a great idea to put speed cameras on your route only

I don't know the "Why", but I can well imagine that if there is a real-time feed of the camera information they would want to keep the bandwidth to a minimum. I doubt it would contribute much more for "a mile or two either side" so that the map showed things in the vicinity ... but this is Tesla Version #1 and quite possibly version #2 (or even #1a ;) ) will have improvements.

You've got something you didn't have. I would wait a bit before being critical, Tesla have done this before with new features, for all I know its deliberate to get everyone out of the woodwork with their crowd-sourced ideas, then build V2 ... because if they did a really good job for #1 there would still be additional requests, and those might mean going back to the drawing board - which is expensive. So "just do the basics" for #1 may be the game-plan.

Time will tell on that of course :)

Does everyone get this update?

Got my M3 LR RWD on Monday.

Says it’s on 2023.38.200
The answer is yes but may require a drop of patience.

.38.200 is an unusual software point to be on. .100 & 200 is usually reserved for in-house Tesla vehicles in my experience.
In the morning, bring up the menu on the car, touch software, and scroll upwards as far as you can. That should make it search for any updates.
good luck

Reactions: Badger54
New autopilot nagging is shite, and I’ll be getting a camera blocker. Literally every time I engage it unless both hands are firmly holding the wheel I immediately get a ‘pay attention’ warning as well.

If you block the camera you will get even more warnings.
I've driven over 300.miles today, mostly motorway and dual carriageway using the camera blocker I posted about earlier. A couple of warnings appeared if I wasn't holding the wheel properly & no disengagements occurred when I lightly held it with my right hand exactly as I have done for the past three years. Blocking the camera has had no negative impact either so I'm going to continue with this.

For me this latest update has been a definite improvement compared to anything prior to 44.30.2 in 2023:
  • I prefer the new red steering wheel graphic prior to disengagement over the previous visible warning.
  • Red warnings around the indicator camera view are in my peripheral vision even if I 'm not specifically looking for this - it's useful.
  • I can now turn wipers on/off and change frequency when using Autopilot - At last! (voice control is my preference).
  • No random wipes were activated by low sun or anything other than actual rain.
  • Parallel parking in bays now/always correctly shows overhead orientation with more accurate distances to surrounding vehicles.
  • Still no phantom braking incidences on AP and today not even gentle slowing in two areas where I expected it. A very smooth drive.
Continuing negatives however:
  • AHB still operates with a slight time lag and still dims for chevrons but otherwise OK.
  • Wipers are good with actual rain but ignore spray or after the rain has stopped & the windscreen is still covered.
  • Plenty of 'degraded' etc warning messages but none seemed to affect the workings of AP.
  • In spite of the improved vision graphics I still will not trust anything the screen tells me over my own eyes (other than aligning straightness in parking bays etc)
Other things in the latest updates have no real interest to me.

I've driven over 300.miles today, mostly motorway and dual carriageway using the camera blocker I posted about earlier. A couple of warnings appeared if I wasn't holding the wheel properly & no disengagements occurred when I lightly held it with my right hand exactly as I have done for the past three years. Blocking the camera has had no negative impact either so I'm going to continue with this.
I have been having like that for more than a year by now... :)

Fairly certain you need a Ryzen MCU to get the benefit(?) of cabin camera nagging on Autopilot. I tried sticking a bit of tape over the camera lens and it made no difference. Likewise when uncovered and pretending to look away from the road.
When was a Ryzen MCU introduced or how can I check that?
My car is designated as a '2023' Model Y LR collected in December 2022