Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 HW4 Model X Front Door Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my HW4 MXP yesterday. Previously owned a 2020 MXLR so familiar with the front door powered open operation. Both front doors on the '23 only open approx 2-3 inches when pressing the open button both inside and outside the vehicle with no obstacles detected.

Anyone else with recent pickups have this issue? Just wondering if it's software related or possibly both of my door actuators are working incorrectly.

It's 'normal' for newer Model X's to only crack open due to the delayed occupancy network launch....if you are seeing phantom obstacles it could be a result of a faulty sensor or the cable to the 12v not being fully inserted into the battery (we saw this with our falcon doors recently and it resolved itself after they pushed the cable in appropriately).

My 2023 X either opens the door 2-3" OR opens full speed into whatever object is next to the car unless I managed to grab the door to stop it in time which, let's be honest, is ridiculous. If the doors cannot operate correctly. remove the motors and have normal doors. Only opening 2-3" is also ridiculous. My door is dented from this fun defect. It's a great car...err, I mean lemon.

This happened to me yesterday on the passenger side FWD and touched the garage door. This has worked fine for the 3 weeks that I had my car (it spent another 3 weeks at the service center that has managed to fix 20% of my issues) but stopped working yesterday. Had to set the door open height to low setting. I have a tiny paint chip now. Since it is caused by the sensors not working will Tesla fix the paint chip?

I thought the self presenting doors are one of the few perks of getting the X and have been waiting patiently for the Tesla vision or whatever to work but no ETA on that. To make things worse the genius who designed the motor/SW decided to pause 2 secs before giving up the fight to keep the door closed. It is so irritating to use.

Reactions: explosive0 and rpo
This happened to me yesterday on the passenger side FWD and touched the garage door. This has worked fine for the 3 weeks that I had my car (it spent another 3 weeks at the service center that has managed to fix 20% of my issues) but stopped working yesterday. Had to set the door open height to low setting. I have a tiny paint chip now. Since it is caused by the sensors not working will Tesla fix the paint chip?

I thought the self presenting doors are one of the few perks of getting the X and have been waiting patiently for the Tesla vision or whatever to work but no ETA on that. To make things worse the genius who designed the motor/SW decided to pause 2 secs before giving up the fight to keep the door closed. It is so irritating to use.

My neighbor across the street that bought a 2019 Model X says Tesla actually repainted his FWD when it failed to detect that it was indoors and smacked whatever was above the car back in 2019.

But my other neighbor with a 2022 Model X who had the same issue says Tesla wouldn't cover it in 2022. Deep in the bowels of the owners manual, it basically says if the doors hit something it's your fault regardless if they were auto-opening or you were manually moving the doors.

Before opening or closing a falcon wing door, it is important to check that the area around the door is free of obstacles (people and objects). Although the doors have many sensors, it can not detect all objects at all times, particularly when moving. At any given moment, there may be areas near the door that are not in the detection zone. Therefore, when opening or closing a falcon wing door, you and your passengers must stand away from the door as it is moving, while proactively monitoring the door's movement and being prepared to take corrective action at any time. To stop a door from moving, single-click the falcon wing door button on the key fob, press the switch on the door or door pillar, or touch the button on the touchscreen.

Since the Pacific Northwest Tesla service centers are governed by the same person, I would wager you're going to have a hard time getting the chip cleared up by the warranty. But who knows, it never hurts to ask.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
My FWD
My neighbor across the street that bought a 2019 Model X says Tesla actually repainted his FWD when it failed to detect that it was indoors and smacked whatever was above the car back in 2019.

But my other neighbor with a 2022 Model X who had the same issue says Tesla wouldn't cover it in 2022. Deep in the bowels of the owners manual, it basically says if the doors hit something it's your fault regardless if they were auto-opening or you were manually moving the doors.

Since the Pacific Northwest Tesla service centers are governed by the same person, I would wager you're going to have a hard time getting the chip cleared up by the warranty. But who knows, it never hurts to ask.
My FWD only hit something once that I remember (first time opening them in the garage...and then it never happened again). But the front doors are not mentioned in that snippet from the owner's manual, and I *think* that is what the prior comment was about since they mentioned the self presenting doors. I hate fighting the front door motors that take way too long to give up....and the lack of working sensors for opening those doors is a horrible oversight by Tesla.

Reactions: spectrum
There's an added bonus in fighting the front doors - if they don't give up for whatever reason, then something inside can *break* and now you can have a buzzing noise of gears spinning against a non-moving thing! Yet the damn door will STILL try and fight. HATE IT SO MUCH.

This is a software thing, because it DID NOT DO THIS until the last couple versions.

Just picked up my HW4 MXP yesterday. Previously owned a 2020 MXLR so familiar with the front door powered open operation. Both front doors on the '23 only open approx 2-3 inches when pressing the open button both inside and outside the vehicle with no obstacles detected.

Anyone else with recent pickups have this issue? Just wondering if it's software related or possibly both of my door actuators are working incorrectly.
Now October 2023 and my new X has this issue as well. My previous 2016 X would open wide but the new car opens a few inches. Also, there is a firm resistance when you try and open it the rest of the way. Tesla service advises this is because Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors and that a future software update should fix the issue.

Now October 2023 and my new X has this issue as well. My previous 2016 X would open wide but the new car opens a few inches. Also, there is a firm resistance when you try and open it the rest of the way. Tesla service advises this is because Tesla removed the ultrasonic sensors and that a future software update should fix the issue.

They've been saying that for a year. Same with summon and park assist.

My FWD

My FWD only hit something once that I remember (first time opening them in the garage...and then it never happened again). But the front doors are not mentioned in that snippet from the owner's manual, and I *think* that is what the prior comment was about since they mentioned the self presenting doors. I hate fighting the front door motors that take way too long to give up....and the lack of working sensors for opening those doors is a horrible oversight by Tesla.
I don't think it's an oversight. Tesla pretty much knows they can screw over customers and get away with it, and they're doing exactly that.

Reactions: rpo
They've been saying that for a year. Same with summon and park assist.
That's my issue with this. Everyone keeps saying "it'll be fixed with an update soon", except it's been damn near a year already. I've learnt to buy Teslas for what they are capable of doing today, not what is promised. This was one of the reasons I ended up buying a used 2022, it met my present needs, and I don't have to get frustrated daily waiting for an update that may come a year from now.

Reactions: unctarheels and rpo