Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3 RWD Performance Specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does anyone know what a 2023 Model 3 RWD runs in the quarter? (time/mph)

I can't seem seem to find any credible source for this info or people with the current RWD M3 that have run and posted time slips. 0-60 is published at 5.8 sec by Tesla, but some say it runs mid 15s in the quarter.

Thanks in advance.

It should be about 13.8. This article references the standard range+ from 2021, which I believe is the same thing as the 2023 RWD.

@ThaiBruin I don't think a 2021 SR+ is the same. Late 2021 is when I got my Model 3 so I was following things pretty closely then.

For most of 2021 the SR+ had an NCA battery (as all Teslas did then), and 0-60 spec was...5.2? 5.3? Something like that. It was rated quicker than the current RWD's 5.8. The NCA battery was lighter, which surely helped a little, and I'm guessing the SR+ produced a bit more power as well. (In other words, I'm guessing the weight difference alone wouldn't be enough to account for a 0.5 second 0-60 improvement.)

0-60 isn't 1/4 mile of course, but it seems likely they're different in the 1/4 as well.

Of note, in late model year 2021 Tesla started making some SR+ with LFP batteries. Still 2021 SR+ name, but with different specs from the different battery. Since the specs didn't match SR+ reservations, a lot of those LFP SR+ went straight into inventory. I believe Tesla also offered them to SR+ reservation holders as an optional deal - accept the spec change to get your car months sooner than waiting for an NCA SR+.

However those late 2021 LFP SR+ weren't the same car as a 2022+ RWD either! The 2022+ RWD has a slightly higher rated range, I believe from a slightly larger battery. On the flip side the 2021 LFP SR+ had a quicker 0-60 rating, I think close to or the same as the original NCA SR+. LFP SR+ may have been a tad slower due to heavier LFP battery but it wasn't rated 0.5 seconds slower like the 2022+ RWD.

(As it turned out, by the time Tesla started offering 2021 LFP SR+, if you didn't have a 2021 NCA SR+ VIN yet you probably weren't getting one, even if you never accepted an LFP SR+. When model year 2022 rolled around, which started November 2021, all outstanding SR+ reservations got forcibly converted to 2022 LFP RWD. If I'm recalling this stuff correctly. 🙂)

You're right, it is rather difficult to find any reputable stats for the lfp rwd. Many car sites still have the curb weight listed incorrectly; the same as the nca cars.

The lfp rwd is about 300lbs heavier than the nca rwd. Assuming they have the same motor and power, 0-60mph being 5.8 instead of 5.2 makes sense. According to quarter mile calculator, the lfp rwd should be able to do 13.8 @ 104 mph. I'm not able to find any actual numbers and would love to see someone post something concrete!

Thanks for the comments everyone. It's frustrating because I am contemplating the lease/purchase and would like to have the info as part of my decision making process. I've test driven the vehicle on local roads and up to 65-70mph and it feels really strong. I just don't want to get it and find out it is a dog on the highway and higher speeds because Telsa nerfed this particular version. The power is there, is the software uncorking it or nerfing it?

These guys (whoever they are) say 15.2 on the RWD.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Thanks for the comments everyone. It's frustrating because I am contemplating the lease/purchase and would like to have the info as part of my decision making process. I've test driven the vehicle on local roads and up to 65-70mph and it feels really strong. I just don't want to get it and find out it is a dog on the highway and higher speeds because Telsa nerfed this particular version. The power is there, is the software uncorking it or nerfing it?

If the 2022+ RWD is like the 2018-2021 SR+, then the power drop off starts at 68mph

Reactions: xmonger

The power isn't really "there" though in that the car has a single fixed gear ratio so you'd expect a drop off in acceleration at higher speeds.

And it looks like it's more than that and software, because the 3rd party "boost" available for older SR RWD cars does not work on LFP cars-

Personally if 1/4 mile times are a big deal to you I'd suggest you don't buy an LFP car and look at either a new LR or a used non-LFP RWD one (though depending on local used pricing this may or may not make sense compared to new.

Reactions: tm1v2
Thanks but given my state's incentive MSRP limit only a new RWD makes financial senses at this time.

All I want is to know a spec that is available for almost every other car. It's really strange that it isn't available.
@xmonger Serious question: What cars have an official 1/4 mile spec from the manufacturer? Especially similar competing cars (electric or ICE)?

Yes Tesla publishes fewer specs these days than most brands, but I don't recall seeing 1/4 mile times in most vehicle spec sheets. Maybe it's been published for a few cars here and there, e.g. wouldn't surprise me at all for muscle cars or some sports cars, but I wouldn't expect to find a 1/4 mile spec for a mass market sedan.

Personally I'd like to see 1/4 mile specs, especially for trap speed, but manufacturers seem stuck on 0-60 as the only official acceleration metric.

If nobody is taking their M3RWD to the drag strip, or those that have aren't sharing the results, that might be a hint...it's not the car you want. If it's the only Tesla you can comfortably afford, and you need a new car, then just ignore all this and enjoy the M3RWD for what it is. I haven't driven one but I'm confident it's a good car in its own right, especially for the price after incentives.

If 1/4 mile is really important to you though, I think @Knightshade is right, best to skip the M3RWD and start looking for other options in your budget. Even if that means something other than a brand new Tesla. No amount of government incentives will make the M3RWD any faster in the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
Also, while the M3RWD is not "slow" in any absolute sense, it's clearly not meant to be the Tesla for drag racers or acceleration addicts. That just isn't its purpose. Same for the base model of any competing car!

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the NCA and LFP cars from 100kph to 130kph (the acceleration tests ends at about 130-135kph), since the NCA SR+ traps the quarter mile at around 170kph (107mph), unless the LFP cars are severely limited just past 130kph (which absolutely no one has ever said so in the forums that I've seen), I doubt the LFP car will end the quarter mile at 15+ seconds.

Like I said above, LFP cars should be able to do somewhere around 13.8 @ 104 mph

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and xmonger
@xmonger Serious question: What cars have an official 1/4 mile spec from the manufacturer? Especially similar competing cars (electric or ICE)?

Yes Tesla publishes fewer specs these days than most brands, but I don't recall seeing 1/4 mile times in most vehicle spec sheets. Maybe it's been published for a few cars here and there, e.g. wouldn't surprise me at all for muscle cars or some sports cars, but I wouldn't expect to find a 1/4 mile spec for a mass market sedan.

Personally I'd like to see 1/4 mile specs, especially for trap speed, but manufacturers seem stuck on 0-60 as the only official acceleration metric.

If nobody is taking their M3RWD to the drag strip, or those that have aren't sharing the results, that might be a hint...it's not the car you want. If it's the only Tesla you can comfortably afford, and you need a new car, then just ignore all this and enjoy the M3RWD for what it is. I haven't driven one but I'm confident it's a good car in its own right, especially for the price after incentives.

If 1/4 mile is really important to you though, I think @Knightshade is right, best to skip the M3RWD and start looking for other options in your budget. Even if that means something other than a brand new Tesla. No amount of government incentives will make the M3RWD any faster in the 1/4 mile.
Almost every car is reviewed and acceleration times are published beyond just 0-60.

If you don't have the information, that's fine, but there is no need to make any assumptions about me or steer me into another vehicle.

Reactions: XPsionic

I don't see a whole lot of difference between the NCA and LFP cars from 100kph to 130kph (the acceleration tests ends at about 130-135kph), since the NCA SR+ traps the quarter mile at around 170kph (107mph), unless the LFP cars are severely limited just past 130kph (which absolutely no one has ever said so in the forums that I've seen), I doubt the LFP car will end the quarter mile at 15+ seconds.

Like I said above, LFP cars should be able to do somewhere around 13.8 @ 104 mph
Thanks for the video/info. You are probably correct on that time/mph. Like I said before, the vehicle felt strong on my test drive but I just don't want to find out that it gets knee capped on the highway. It's not about drag racing the car, it's about it's performance at speed.

Hi, does anyone know what a 2023 Model 3 RWD runs in the quarter? (time/mph)

I can't seem seem to find any credible source for this info or people with the current RWD M3 that have run and posted time slips. 0-60 is published at 5.8 sec by Tesla, but some say it runs mid 15s in the quarter.

Thanks in advance.
I don’t know QTR time, I have a 2023 RWD and love my car. 0-60 is quick, I mean this was Corvette type speed until late 90’s. For me though it’s most impressive 45-80ish, passing type speeds, it is super fast in that range. I was in the mountains last weekend going up hill trailing a rice burner bike through slower traffic and looked over to see 3 digit speed. So unless you are a speed freak it’s enough. I will say after driving this for a few months I would enjoy a performance model 3, but like you indicated cost of the RWD just makes more sense. Out the door close to 60 before credit does not make sense to me for a model 3. I’m buying a used Model S if I want to spend over 50K. Overall, I am very happy with my car, in fact I’m obsessed with the thing. I want another one for my wife.

I don’t know QTR time, I have a 2023 RWD and love my car. 0-60 is quick, I mean this was Corvette type speed until late 90’s. For me though it’s most impressive 45-80ish, passing type speeds, it is super fast in that range. I was in the mountains last weekend going up hill trailing a rice burner bike through slower traffic and looked over to see 3 digit speed. So unless you are a speed freak it’s enough. I will say after driving this for a few months I would enjoy a performance model 3, but like you indicated cost of the RWD just makes more sense. Out the door close to 60 before credit does not make sense to me for a model 3. I’m buying a used Model S if I want to spend over 50K. Overall, I am very happy with my car, in fact I’m obsessed with the thing. I want another one for my wife.
I actually wound up picking a new RWD M3. Agree on all points. It's plenty fast, especially when needing to pass or merge.

Love the car. However, I already curbed one of the rims and I am super bummed out about it. I haven't curbed a rim in years and I did it to my brand new M3. I am going to have to get it repaired fully at some point. For the time being has anyone found a matching grey color (for the 18" wheels)?

Reactions: tm1v2
I actually wound up picking a new RWD M3. Agree on all points. It's plenty fast, especially when needing to pass or merge.

Love the car. However, I already curbed one of the rims and I am super bummed out about it. I haven't curbed a rim in years and I did it to my brand new M3. I am going to have to get it repaired fully at some point. For the time being has anyone found a matching grey color (for the 18" wheels)?
EVERYONE curbs those wheels lol. Tesla specced fairly narrow tires for the wheel width for whatever reason, and the OEM tires don't have a rim protection lip like some of the tires out there do.

@xmonger can you get a 1/4 mile timer app on your phone and do a run?

EVERYONE curbs those wheels lol. Tesla specced fairly narrow tires for the wheel width for whatever reason, and the OEM tires don't have a rim protection lip like some of the tires out there do.

@xmonger can you get a 1/4 mile timer app on your phone and do a run?

I looked into taking it to Atco NJ test and tune night but the website says no EVs allowed.

I'm not keen on trying to get street numbers around here. Congested and hard to find a level 1/4 stretch of road clear of traffic.

I'll figure something out. I really want to get the numbers too. I'll report back when I have something.

I looked into taking it to Atco NJ test and tune night but the website says no EVs allowed.

I'm not keen on trying to get street numbers around here. Congested and hard to find a level 1/4 stretch of road clear of traffic.

I'll figure something out. I really want to get the numbers too. I'll report back when I have something.
I live in a rural area where I could do it without risking anyone’s safety. But really the car is not incredibly fast 0-60, but seems plenty fast 40-80. You feel less torque above 80 but still accelerating well.

FYI, Ingenext Boost LFP is now available for the Model 3 RWD with LFP battery and 980 motor. Improves 0-60 from 5.8 to 5.1. Still a lot slower than Model 3 LR, but pretty close to Model Y AWD and LR, and slightly faster than the old SR+ with NCA battery. I ordered one.