Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok that’s good to know. I just assumed that when backing up and an object comes in your path there would be an audible notification with an eventual intervention(steering wheel vibrates and/or brakes engage).

That works, I have a MY 2023 no USS and when backing from a parking slot another car arrived from a blind spot and Tesla activated the brakes automatically.
So I assume that everything is working fine, without USS.

My car has radar and I just received an update saying my radar is no longer being used. I now have "Tesla Vision".

Since I have FSD, was my car already using the cameras anyway?

Does this mean a new update has just been pushed out, perhaps enabling the USS-style park assist functionality for non-USS cars? Not seeing any update for my MY, currently on 2022.44.30.

Thanks, I have FSD beta enabled and lost my auto park when I joined the program. Before the FSD I would just drive by a spot and it would pop up. After FSD it was more complex, I had to go by a spot and then put it in reverse and it would pop up, but it still worked.

Now with "tesla vision" I cannot get it to work at all!

Also, tesla vision put my trash can in my frunk, on the screen, when I pulled into my driveway today. I think the radar will be back and saw articles about tesla researching new radars.

Last edited:
I am not as wary of the updates as some people are and I install them as they come through. As far as the USS issue, I believe that Elon Musk is very serious about marketing extremely safe, full self driving vehicles. I don't think he would jeopardize this goal by substituting vision for the sensors just save money. Whatever system is used would have to be equal or superior to the system now in use in order to achieve safe and reliable FSD capabilities.

I like the USS in my car but if a software update installs a superior system that uses cameras and computers, it will be OK by me.
Just wish he had waited to remove sensors until software was available. Seems irresponsible to sell cars that are less safe until they supposedly will have an update that will solve the problem.

I believe that Elon Musk is very serious about marketing extremely safe, full self driving vehicles.

His “actions” do not support this. Removal of radar and USS in favor of vision has made the car less safe than it was. Maybe at some point in the future vision will be equal to or better than radar and USS, but that day is not today.

From what I have read, Tesla is saving $114 per car by removing the USS. I do not know if that amount of money saved justifies the removal of the sensor or not.

I don’t think it’s about cost. I think it’s to prevent part shortages from the sensor supplier from slowing down production. If you read BMW i4 forums, many of those orders have been delayed an insanely long time or outright cancelled when people optioned DAPP (driving assist sensors / features) and/or PAP (parking assist sensors / features). At times, BMW has limited those options to only the top spec M50 because there just aren’t enough sensors to go around. Tesla is producing vastly more Model 3s and Ys, so imagine how hard it must be for them to source enough parts. You can also see that Model 3 and Y wait times have gone WAY down in the last couple months since they removed USS, and I really think waiting on those sensors was holding them back.

Reactions: turns2stone
That works, I have a MY 2023 no USS and when backing from a parking slot another car arrived from a blind spot and Tesla activated the brakes automatically.
(Tesla activated the brakes automatically.)
Is it true? I would love to hear that Tesla now has this feature as of my previous Lexus. Where can I get more info on this? What is your current software version? I texted back and forth with Tesla about this feature and they said NO about a month ago

I don't want to be a downer, but I don't think they will have a solution based on our current hardware. You can just see some of the writings on the wall. The latest update with Steam and how it's only for X and S. I can see that when/if they do have some sort of a forward park assist, it'll be on certain models or even only on their newer/upcoming cars with supported hardware.
Well they promise functionality will be restored so they will have to make it work via software or hardware or be sued.

Is it true? I would love to hear that Tesla now has this feature as of my previous Lexus. Where can I get more info on this? What is your current software version? I texted back and forth with Tesla about this feature and they said NO about a month ago

I kept pushing Testing about the above "capability" but they NEVER gave me a straight answer (Yes or No)

I kept pushing Testing about the above "capability" but they NEVER gave me a straight answer (Yes or No)
They kept texting me the above Info. I told them I don't give a F, just tell me YES or NO

that wouldn't be USS to begin with... more rear cross traffic warning use rear camera and/or side repeaters... if you rely on USS for rear cross traffic alerts... it's too late...

that wouldn't be USS to begin with... more rear cross traffic warning use rear camera and/or side repeaters... if you rely on USS for rear cross traffic alerts... it's too late...
That's probably obstacle aware acceleration kicking in, although it's designed more to prevent crashing into a stationary object like a wall:

Not exactly the same as read cross traffic alert or replacing the USS pings and distance measurement.

Anyone who is thinking Vision is going to do as good as or a better job than the USS - is going to be hugely disappointed.

Basically everyone with a 2023+ model needs to prepare themselves for functions like park assist to, at best, only work properly during daytime and on dry days.

It will fail almost, if not, completely in the rain - the rear camera is a blurry mess on rainy days, requiring you to frequently clear the lens if you want to see properly. Even when it's not raining, if it has rained recently the dirt kicked up by the wet roads quickly obscures the rear camera lens. There is no way any level of AI software is going to be able to figure out how close you are to something if it can't see properly. I expect frequent 'Rear camera is blocked, park assist functions limited' messages to be popping up.

In addition to this, the park assist will be limited at night in low lit area's - the reversing light on tesla's is hardly what i would call a floodlight and again without clear vision reverse parking with sensors is going to be an epic fail.

All this wouldn't be such a problem if you could just use your eyes and rear view mirror or look out the back, but oh yeah i forgot - rear visibility in a model 3 is very poor and in a model Y it's pretty much non-existent as all you see is the central crossbeam. Not to mention no rear wipers so in the rain rear visibility goes from 30% (model 3) to 0%.

With it's very poor rear visibility, If any car ever needed parking sensors, it was a Tesla - especially with tight parking spaces in countries like the UK. Removing USS was one of the dumbest thing's Tesla have ever done - one which i am confident they will regret in time.