Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here ... just had a chat with a Tesla employee on the phone ...
Asked him what to do to retrofit USS even paying, he said "don't do that, by end of Q1 2023 you'll have the parking functionalities back with Tesla Vision".

Not that I don't trust him ... but I personally don't see the technical feasibility of the full functionality for the front side, where there's the blind spot.

I don't need the parking help features ... had the autopark on my previous car ... never used in 7 years (even forgot I had it), but I liked the distance being displayed in my test drive (with USS...) before buying as a tech-addicted-nerd :-D
I am pretty curious too how Tesla Vision will reliably measure the distances in the front to lower sitting objects (which disappear in a blind spot for the windshield camera rather quickly) and then be accurate +/- 5-10 inches...

Now imagine paying for features that depend on USS, but those features are unavailable until some undetermined time in the future. Even if you don’t care about parking assist, what if you care about Summon and paid extra for Summon?

Then again there are people who paid for FSD on their 2016/2017 vehicles and then moved on to another car years later having never gotten a single feature of FSD while they owned the car.
I certainly appreciate the frustration of existing owners who had a feature removed. However, the new owners discovering that USS/parking assist is missing and stating how much of a loss and safety issue it is seems a bit over the top.

I had the seat belt and am pretty sure that the car didn't switch to park, but it was some weeks ago.
Well EuroNCAP lists "AEB Pedestrian - Reverse" as a feature on the Teslas that they tested, so I guess it isn't much of a stretch to think that it would detect and respond to cars as well, but it doesn't seem like they test that: Official Tesla Model Y 2022 safety rating and Official Tesla Model S 2022 safety rating

1673464575471.png

The Model S seems to have done slightly better than the Model Y:
1673464501013.png

1673464525473.png

Reactions: bhzmark
Yup, and that is a long time if you ask me (not "soon" as Tesla says in their statements). I took delivery in December of my 2023 Model Y without USS and am awaiting the vision update but with little hope.

The one thing giving me some hope is that, the longer Tesla stalls delivering on this, the more Tesla's are delivered without USS and the larger the pool of pissed off buyers becomes. At the rate Tesla is ramping production, the % of Tesla owners without parking functionality grows by a lot.

If for every 100 owners without USS there are say 25 pissed off owners, this means the pushback Tesla gets grows rapidly.
It should've been ready as soon as they shipped the first car without the hardware.

The same way us humans do? *shrug*
You mean having your passenger get out of the car, and make gestures with their hands showing how far you are from the object in front of the car?

USS eliminated the need for having a passenger do that, and you get the same information inside the car. I suppose in the old days of metal bumpers you just moved forward until you hit whatever the the thing is, then back up 6 inches.

You mean having your passenger get out of the car, and make gestures with their hands showing how far you are from the object in front of the car?

USS eliminated the need for having a passenger do that, and you get the same information inside the car. I suppose in the old days of metal bumpers you just moved forward until you hit whatever the the thing is, then back up 6 inches.
Honestly it really depends on where the people are. People in NYC parking on the stree with millimeters to spare? Sure.

Those of us in smaller midwest cities where we can parallel like a boss and have 3' of clearance in front and behind, probably less important.

Even when I had parking assist in the Yukon I never trusted it, I didn't know it's margin of error. The only time I really ever used it was in parking garages to make sure my rear end wasnt hanging out in the aisle. But again, I came from a newer vehicle without any real parking assist to M3 without USS....no harm no fowl *shrug*

Something always matters to someone, while many others don't care :)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Honestly it really depends on where the people are. People in NYC parking on the stree with millimeters to spare? Sure.

Those of us in smaller midwest cities where we can parallel like a boss and have 3' of clearance in front and behind, probably less important.

Even when I had parking assist in the Yukon I never trusted it, I didn't know it's margin of error. The only time I really ever used it was in parking garages to make sure my rear end wasnt hanging out in the aisle. But again, I came from a newer vehicle without any real parking assist to M3 without USS....no harm no fowl *shrug*

fact is - Tesla cut overnight a feature from ordered cars and then promised feature restatement "soon" via software... still waiting...

Reactions: jeewee3000

They call that a Manhattan park around this part of the country

Need to come to the UK and try parallel parking a tesla without sensors and zero rear visibility for anything within a car length to the car. It won't be long before you hit something i can tell you. Ya could always get out and check multiple times as you squeeze into the small space - but don't take too long, whilst you are trying to get into that spot you are blocking the whole street due to the narrow roads and double parking on both sides......and you'll likely be getting wet.

Hell even without front sensors you run the risk of hitting small walls & posts - this sort of stuff is common place around the UK. The front camera is useless for that. The back camera is ok for reverse/parallel parking - assuming you can see out of it due to rain and road dirt!

The car should not have features removed that are standard in a car half it's price, that render's daily functions such as parking hazardous (due to the lack of any rear visibility), in over half the markets its sold in!

Need to come to the UK and try parallel parking a tesla without sensors and zero rear visibility for anything within a car length to the car. It won't be long before you hit something i can tell you. Ya could always get out and check multiple times as you squeeze into the small space - but don't take too long, whilst you are trying to get into that spot you are blocking the whole street due to the narrow roads and double parking on both sides......and you'll likely be getting wet.

Hell even without front sensors you run the risk of hitting small walls & posts - this sort of stuff is common place around the UK. The front camera is useless for that. The back camera is ok for reverse/parallel parking - assuming you can see out of it due to rain and road dirt!

The car should not have features removed that are standard in a car half it's price, that render's daily functions such as parking hazardous (due to the lack of any rear visibility), in over half the markets its sold in!
Preach on, brother.

It is a good point that the US has much bigger roads and parking spaces in general. Here in Belgium I have to "Manhattan Park" at least once a week. Very annoying without sensors.

Last edited: