Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting in a nose camera to give a top down view would have fit Tesla's Vision vision as well as made everyone forget about USS.
yup. and that camera will likely come with Highland facelift and will royally eff over the buyers of Model 3s/ Ys from ~October last year through now who will likely never see USS comparable performance with their limited camera arrangement...

Just venting here about how bad Tesla Vision park assist is. Today I reverse parked my blue Model Y towards a big concrete barrier and the park assist did not see it the entire way of pulling in/driving away.

I know it's not video so some armchair engineers might not believe this, but any driver without USS knows this is how flawed the software can be right now.

These pictures are from the same vehicle position:

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-28 at 20.05.05.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-28 at 20.04.45.jpeg

Conclusion: Tesla Vision can not be trusted in its current state and I fear greatly for the future of autonomy/autopark/summon/etc on my current no USS HW3.

Can the occupancy network become flawless? Or are we doomed? All input welcome.

are you saying that not realizing there's a GIGANTIC concrete barrier behind the vehicle is a firmware issue of "tesla vision parking" ? lol.
Yes, I think that is entirely a firmware issue. (I'm just pretty sure that I have seen people report that Tesla Vision has improved in some of the newer firmware version from when it was initially released.)

But it appears he is on the most current version, other than the FSD portion has moved on:

FSD purchased from the get go.

I don't know if parking portion of Tesla Vision is better in FSD 11.4.4, than it is on FSD 11.3.6 that you are on.

are you saying that not realizing there's a GIGANTIC concrete barrier behind the vehicle is a firmware issue of "tesla vision parking" ? lol.
The size is hardly relevant, it's the contrast with the ground, which in that case is poor given both are made of same material without paint.

And given the detection is software based I would imagine it matters a lot what firmware is installed. Just like for example comparing when Vision just came out vs now or comparing older versions of FSD Beta vs now.

One way I can see to improve ON park assist is to reduce the voxel size and draw distance. This can help give better accuracy without increasing compute demand. Right now most likely they just use the ON from FSD Beta, but that one cares more about further objects and less about nearby objects/accuracy, so it's not quite optimized for parking situations.

They also shoehorned it into the USS UI, essentially generating faux USS numbers in a function that translates between the two. But ON is better visually represented with a 3D model. Maybe that will happen in the future.

The size is hardly relevant, it's the contrast with the ground, which in that case is poor given both are made of same material without paint.

And given the detection is software based I would imagine it matters a lot what firmware is installed. Just like for example comparing when Vision just came out vs now or comparing older versions of FSD Beta vs now.

One way I can see to improve ON park assist is to reduce the voxel size and draw distance. This can help give better accuracy without increasing compute demand. Right now most likely they just use the ON from FSD Beta, but that one cares more about further objects and less about nearby objects/accuracy, so it's not quite optimized for parking situations.

They also shoehorned it into the USS UI, essentially generating faux USS numbers in a function that translates between the two. But ON is better visually represented with a 3D model. Maybe that will happen in the future.
so much understandment and goodwill for a faulty "vision only" parking aid solution when USS worked *just fine* and other EVs come with USS ... how many *years* are we giving Tesla to make "vision only" parking aid work ? 2? 3? more than 3?

so much understandment and goodwill for a faulty "vision only" parking aid solution when USS worked *just fine* and other EVs come with USS ... how many *years* are we giving Tesla to make "vision only" parking aid work ? 2? 3? more than 3?
The alternative is having all Parking Assist removed, as other manufacturers did. Even the current implementation is far better than that.

what EV priced $40k-$50k+ isn't being offered with USS *as of now* ?
I've detailed luxury brands that removed them, during the shortage:
From that list the i4, MachE didn't have them.

Seems from the start e-tron didn't have them unless you opted for a higher end package, but from articles liked previously Audi made further restrictions later, although it's not clear it affected the e-tron model specifically.

Ironically due to Tesla removing them, the supply situation likely has drastically improved for other manufacturers (Tesla used 12 and just recently became the best selling car in the entire world, beating even the Corolla in volume). So I'm not sure if the other brands added them back as supply improved, but it's pretty clear that when Tesla removed them, a bunch of manufacturers did so, with no software alternative like Tesla is currently giving those affected.

I'm glad I know how to park. Would suck to be miserable over a car not being able to make up for my inability to park, which, imo, is a basic driving skill that makes park assist features rather meaningless. I honestly couldn't care less whether the "I suck at driving so please park for me" feature works well or not.

Should it work? Sure, I guess. Does it matter? Hardly at all.

I suppose if I lived in Europe with teeny tiny parking spots that required 1" front and rear parallel parking clearance, it would matter.

I do find the backup camera a useful/helpful feature since I never pull into a parking space unless I can pull through or have to load a bulky item in the trunk. But I'm sure I'd live without it if it were to break out of warranty and was expensive to replace or something.

Basic driving skills. I think technology is degrading many peoples basic skills that were required to pass the driving test.

Should park assist work well if it is a feature the car is supposed to have? Yeah. But again, it just really doesn't matter very much.

Just bought my M3RWD last week and have been reading through this thread to catch up. Love the car, but the vision based front parking assist in my garage is very poor, with the car telling me to stop with a good two feet of space still remaining to the wall. I'm wondering if anyone has found any tricks for changing the environment to make this better? I do have some clutter on the wall (folding table, pots, golf clubs, ect.) that could be removed. It's also somewhat dark in there, so I wonder if improving the lighting helps. Does pausing before pulling all the way in help? It does sometimes change the wall to the left into a semi truck, which is mostly just funny. I do have hope that it will keep getting better as the neural net is refined, but I'm pretty much guessing where the back wall of my garage is currently. Go to stop and then keep going a bit more. That's going to get me in trouble at some point.
If you are unable to judge distance, maybe you could back in and use the backup camera? As mentioned, a tennis ball on a string is the age old $2 solution that is more accurate than any modern technology. Otherwise, generally, practice improves skill.

Also, as you mentioned, declutter! We all tend to have too much "stuff". Maybe a good excuse to clean up a bit!

I received my Tesla Model 3 yesterday and struggling to find and use Park Assist. It always says “Park assist unavailable”. Is it really not available/activated or am I doing any mistake, where can I find it to activate?
Can someone please give me steps to activate it? Also summon is not available in the app as it is visible in some YouTube tutorial videos. :(
P.S. - I have bought enhanced autopilot and it is visible as included in my package.

Attachments

• IMG_2603.jpeg
    IMG_2603.jpeg
    898.8 KB · Views: 78
I bought this car in Germany.
park assist should activate after a bit of driving, once the cameras are all calibrated.

with enhanced autopilot you will have the potential of having summon but it is not activate at the moment because the cars are not equipped with ultrasonic sensors. Summon has not been active for anyone purchasing a car since october 2022. At some point when tesla improves the vision only system they will activate summon, but no one knows when this is.
sadly as far as I know tesla still writes on the website you get summon with the enhanced autopilot package although this is false information
it is the same for autopark feature