Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a new owner, if you are unhappy about the missing proximity sensor functionality then you should at a minimum create a service request in the app and talk to Tesla Sales. They need to know that people want this functionality back, at least equal to what we had before with the ultrasonic sensors. Even better, add a 360 degree camera feed view also with a front bumper camera. Other EVs have this.
Do you actually think EM thinks what Tesla Sales thinks? I read today that the turnover at Tesla is 44 percent. So there's a 4 in 10 chance the person you complain to will be gone.

I cant believe they can just remove paid FSD features without a ready fix, they should change the description of the Enhanced & Full FSD features, all those missing features make up 90% of the Enhanced FSD features. Think they have an oversupply of 3 & Y, there is no wait time for 3 & Y

Nobody who paid for it had it removed.

Nobody who paid for it had it removed.
This is not quite true, depending on your perspective. I ordered a Y with FSD on April. At the time, these were included features and there was no indication of USS going away. Fast forward to delivery in early November... I have my car, but don't yet have the summon, smart summon, park assist, etc. that I paid for.

This is unfortunate as I have a very narrow garage bay, and the summon feature would be very handy right now. Here's to hoping it will be back soon...

Reactions: bhzmark
This is not quite true, depending on your perspective. I ordered a Y with FSD on April. At the time, these were included features and there was no indication of USS going away. Fast forward to delivery in early November... I have my car, but don't yet have the summon, smart summon, park assist, etc. that I paid for.

This is unfortunate as I have a very narrow garage bay, and the summon feature would be very handy right now. Here's to hoping it will be back soon...

I get what you mean and I agree for the most part but technically it wasn't paid for in April, that's why I said nobody who paid for it had it removed, instead you placed a refundable deposit which would have been refunded had you not agreed to the change.

I get what you mean and I agree for the most part but technically it wasn't paid for in April, that's why I said nobody who paid for it had it removed, instead you placed a refundable deposit which would have been refunded had you not agreed to the change.
Fair enough, I see what you're saying now. I likely would have been able to get them to return the deposit, as well, if it was a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: RVAC
People are still ordering Teslas faster than they can build them, and that’s not likely to change anytime soon. Even when it does, I’m not convinced Tesla will change the way they roll out hardware changes, because that impacts existing owners more than potential buyers.
Subscribe to the same thought. GM started to service Teslas because Tesla are focused more on building the cars rather than fixing them. Which is crazy to think that all they care is to get the cars our there and when something is broken or need fixing they let you wait weeks.

Subscribe to the same thought. GM started to service Teslas because Tesla are focused more on building the cars rather than fixing them. Which is crazy to think that all they care is to get the cars our there and when something is broken or need fixing they let you wait weeks.
Correction. GM claims that servicing Tesla cars is a booming new business for their dealers. They haven't backed that up or provided any information on WHAT these dealers have been doing. My guess is that it's mostly tire changes / rotations. In which case... big deal.

Reactions: bhzmark and RVAC
Correction. GM claims that servicing Tesla cars is a booming new business for their dealers. They haven't backed that up or provided any information on WHAT these dealers have been doing. My guess is that it's mostly tire changes / rotations. In which case... big deal.
Well, tires and rotation still counts as servicing :) but yes, I think battery is not included or anything that has to do with the interior.

Reactions: Gray Man
All new car dealers service other brand cars as part of preparing used cars for sale. So presumably they have some practice with whatever used cars they commonly get to put up for sale, in case a customer brings in such a car for service.

However, my observation of dealers is that other brand cars in the service line at a dealer are uncommon.

But Tesla customers in areas where Tesla service is inaccessible may be more prone to using other shops for stuff like tire rotations, tire replacements, cabin air filter changes, or brake fluid changes if they do not want to do it themselves.

But Tesla customers in areas where Tesla service is inaccessible may be more prone to using other shops for stuff like tire rotations, tire replacements, cabin air filter changes, or brake fluid changes if they do not want to do it themselves.
Quite right. I suspect thatnin the future, former Tesla mechanics will say, "Hire me, and I can bring in a lot of new business."

We are 5.5 hours from the nearest service center and would jump at this.

Reactions: james35280
As a soon-to-be USS-less Model Y owner, what are the chances that, assuming Tesla ends up revising future Model Y's with new USS to solve the "front-bumper-blind-spot-while-parking" issue, that my Y can be retrofitted for free at a service center?

That's unfortunate. I was under the impression that since their disclaimer, which references this article, states that Park Assist, Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon are "coming soon" to USS-less models, they'd be at least bound to delivering those features "for free" at some reasonable point in time (2 years?). Seems odd they'd get me to sign a new contract/disclaimer indicating my acknowledgement that features I initially purchased, are now "coming soon", and then convert "soon" to "never" if they made a shortsighted hardware error.

That's unfortunate. I was under the impression that since their disclaimer, which references this article, states that Park Assist, Autopark, Summon, and Smart Summon are "coming soon" to USS-less models, they'd be at least bound to delivering those features "for free" at some reasonable point in time (2 years?). Seems odd they'd get me to sign a new contract/disclaimer indicating my acknowledgement that features I initially purchased, are now "coming soon", and then convert "soon" to "never" if they made a shortsighted hardware error.
You should read the article you linked yourself:
"Along with the removal of USS, we have simultaneously launched our vision-based occupancy network – currently used in Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta – to replace the inputs generated by USS....
In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates."

Put plainly they will update the software in your car OTA to restore functionality, there will be no retrofits or visits to a service center.

If instead they add USS hardware back to future vehicles as you asked, there is zero chance you will get them for free (and probably not even paid). Retrofitting such sensors require at minimum drilling holes in your bumpers or swapping the bumpers, and that's assuming they kept the harness. No way they do that for free especially given they made it clear any restoring of functions would purely be software based.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
I think there's a misunderstanding in what I am saying. I am not suggesting new USS are coming, or that we could get the old bumpers retrofitted on newer models.

I am saying that Tesla is assuming that they can reproduce these "coming back soon" features in software with the existing cameras, and I really hope they can and do, but they seem to offer no guarantees. Could it be that they realize the existing cameras alone cannot be used to provide these features, and then introduce a front bumper camera on newer models? And in that case, would it be likely that Tesla offers retrofit upgrades in the event that there are a handful of non-USS/non-front-bumper-cam cars that are no longer to slated to get the features they were promised.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I think there's a misunderstanding in what I am saying. I am not suggesting new USS are coming, or that we could get the old bumpers retrofitted on newer models.

I am saying that Tesla is assuming that they can reproduce these "coming back soon" features in software with the existing cameras, and I really hope they can and do, but they seem to offer no guarantees. Could it be that they realize the existing cameras alone cannot be used to provide these features, and then introduce a front bumper camera on newer models? And in that case, would it be likely that Tesla offers retrofit upgrades in the event that there are a handful of non-USS/non-front-bumper-cam cars that are no longer to slated to get the features they were promised.
There is close to zero chance of that as there is no precedent and they say very clearly in their article they will only be doing OTAs. They will just deliver the listed features in the best capacity they can. Although it's not 100% the right analogy, for example for the radar removal, so far they have not reached parity in terms of maximum speed supported in AP (85 vs 90) and following distance (2 vs 1) and it has been more than a year.

In case it is not clear, the front blind spots are not an issue for the occupancy network in any of the parking applications, given it has object persistence. The only corner case people pointed out is when the car is waking up from being parked, so it does not necessarily have a record of what was in front. However, that is a case that was not explicitly promised to be handled.

Only two cases I can think of where that would matter:
1) Summon/Smart Summon while pulling forward, but you are required to monitor that the path of the vehicle in front is free anyways while using it, so is a non-issue.
2) Parking Assist warning while pulling forward away from a parking spot, but I can't think of a scenario where I relied on the USS to tell me something was in front in that case. The only Parking Assist warning in front I rely on is when pulling into my garage, where I use the distance number to judge where to stop. This can easily be handled using object persistence, given the front cameras can see the objects as it pulls in.

Last edited: