Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only two cases I can think of where that would matter:
1) Summon while pulling forward, but you are required to monitor that the path of the vehicle in front is free anyways while using it, so is a non-issue.
2) Parking Assist warning while pulling forward away from a parking spot,

A third case: where the parking space is just past an incline (e.g. garage at the end of a steep uphill driveway). In this case, license plate height objects may not be visible to the front windshield camera while further away due to the car being tilted upward on the approach.

In addition to the placement issues, my cameras are fairly frequently blinded by condensation and/or sunlight. USS doesn't suffer from those issues.

I'm of the opinion that cameras cannot completely replace USS, just like they cannot completely replace radar. Tesla doesn't care though. Gotta make 'em cheaper. Gotta reduce that parts count, simplify.

Some of Tesla's biggest strengths are also some of Tesla's biggest weaknesses.

I think people are forgetting that these are assistance features anyway and that we've got eyes, mirrors and a brain. If you're relying purely on assistance features and not doing your own supervision as well then the problem isn't the car.

As long as the software implementation works for self-parking and self-driving in the coming weeks/months I'm happy with acknowledging that I'm meant to be monitoring what the car is doing at all times.

Th
I think people are forgetting that these are assistance features anyway and that we've got eyes, mirrors and a brain. If you're relying purely on assistance features and not doing your own supervision as well then the problem isn't the car.

As long as the software implementation works for self-parking and self-driving in the coming weeks/months I'm happy with acknowledging that I'm meant to be monitoring what the car is doing at all times
Yes but sensors historically have been designed to augment what humans can do. Now that augmentation doesn’t exist.

You can't actually see the very front of the car while you're driving it, nor the curb you're pulling up to once you're close enough to it.

Many, many drivers scrape / hit that curb while parking their car... the USS typically prevent that.

The only corner case people pointed out is when the car is waking up from being parked, so it does not necessarily have a record of what was in front.
I'd guess that the car can easily retain information about what surrounded it before it dozed off.

Imagine that they create a solution that can "reach parity" with the USS system for all but low objects in front of the car. Would they be able to release that? Liability? Would a warning come on the screen ("Warning: Low objects in front of the car may not be detected.").

You can't actually see the very front of the car while you're driving it, nor the curb you're pulling up to once you're close enough to it.

Many, many drivers scrape / hit that curb while parking their car... the USS typically prevent that.
The USS does nothing to prevent scraping curbs (manual says explicitly it doesn't and in my experience that is the case also), that's actually one of the primary complaints. Curbs are simply too low to be in its detection range. That's actually one area that Tesla can improve on using the occupancy network, but it will require a UI change (need a curb line instead of just the ping lines).

Reactions: james35280
I'd guess that the car can easily retain information about what surrounded it before it dozed off.

Imagine that they create a solution that can "reach parity" with the USS system for all but low objects in front of the car. Would they be able to release that? Liability? Would a warning come on the screen ("Warning: Low objects in front of the car may not be detected.").
All disclaimers are already in the manual, USS doesn't detect low objects either (below 8 inches). Presumably there is a max height too for USS (for example parking near an overhang). I doubt they will have to add another warning message, although I guess we will see.

Reactions: james35280
I installed 2022.40.4.1 a few days ago and I guess this turned off the use of my ?ultra sonic sensors" AND my cameras for Park Assist. To be clear, what's missing: the screen used to show me when I was 36 inches or less from something like a car or a wall. Now, it will often just say "Stop" even when nothing is in the path of the car. Or it shows random incorrect readings. What's with this "making things worse for you" even if it is disclosed?? And seeing the message "Parking Assist Unavailable" persistently is quite annoying. It suggests I clean my cameras, but they are clean. The software change caused this. By the way, the camera images work great, showing the real outside views, so apparently the software isn't even making use of those cameras despite announcement of "Tesla Vision" that is billed as better than lidar/radar.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
I stopped installing updates right before they disabled radar. Something is very wrong at Tesla.

Actually, something is quite right. I actually have a *marked* improvement in 'phantom braking' since radar has been disabled. The only thing it's useful for is collecting road filth behind the bumper cover.

I do still get braking events occasionally, but it's -always- due to one of two things: 1) Road angle; or 2) (incorrect) speed limit changes. Neither of those are situations the radar would help with.

I can say, truly, removing radar from the equation was the right call here. Tesla Vision works.

I installed 2022.40.4.1 a few days ago and I guess this turned off the use of my ?ultra sonic sensors" AND my cameras for Park Assist. To be clear, what's missing: the screen used to show me when I was 36 inches or less from something like a car or a wall. Now, it will often just say "Stop" even when nothing is in the path of the car. Or it shows random incorrect readings. What's with this "making things worse for you" even if it is disclosed?? And seeing the message "Parking Assist Unavailable" persistently is quite annoying. It suggests I clean my cameras, but they are clean. The software change caused this. By the way, the camera images work great, showing the real outside views, so apparently the software isn't even making use of those cameras despite announcement of "Tesla Vision" that is billed as better than lidar/radar.
Tesla is not turning off USS for existing cars.
Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet.
Tesla Vision Update: Replacing Ultrasonic Sensors with Tesla Vision | Tesla Support

The Parking Assist Unavailable occasionally happens after an update with a bug (sometimes redeploying the same update fixes it though) or sometimes when people have a faulty sensor.
Park Assist Unavailable

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I stopped installing updates right before they disabled radar.
I also stopped my updates at 2022.20.8, the last version before killing my radar. For me, it has resulted in the car I want and can happily live with. Beyond that the new extras are not worth it over what’s been disabled or just doesn’t work.
Something is very wrong at Tesla.
Maybe, but more likely by design rather than infection. Tesla has been pretty consistent about their silly (imo) robotaxi holy grail, and recent UI design, disabled hardware, weak software releases with new issues, and so on serve to do nothing to enhance the driving experience and everything to do with achieving the automated bot. It is most unfortunate that the bot isn’t ready, isn’t bulletproof, and for me isn’t remotely wanted.

You might try a reboot. This is working fine on my USS car with 2022.40.4.