Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't actually see the very front of the car while you're driving it, nor the curb you're pulling up to once you're close enough to it.

Many, many drivers scrape / hit that curb while parking their car... the USS typically prevent that.
…and have worked well for years in this and other manufacturers’ vehicle. Money grab on Tesla’s part, nothing more.

It’s based on a application that Tesla made.

If you compare the FFC ID number to online documents you will find it is a new radar unit and the drawings match the Phoenix 4D sensor technology from Arbe Robotics.

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSIONS

Authorization and Evaluation Division
7435 Oakland Mills Road
Columbia, MD 21046

We, Tesla, Inc., want to submit this request for our device, model number: 1541584, which was granted on 2022-06-07 under FCC ID: 2AEIM-1541584. According to FCC confidentiality policy, the exhibits:
  • User Manual
  • Internal photos
  • External photos
  • Test Setup photos
are listed under short-term confidentiality, and those documents will be available to @ublic on 2022-12-07.

However, this device will not be marketed until Mid-January 2023. To avoid any unnecessary disclosure and competitive harm before our product launching, we would like to request above exhibits to be held for another 60 days until 2023-02-07

We, Tesla, Inc. authorizes Bay Area Compliance Laboratories Corp. to act on behalf of us and take care this process.

This authorization is valid until further written notice

TESLA

Model Number: 1541584

RADAR

FCC ID: 2AEIM-1541584

IC: 20098-1541584

TRA

REGISTERER No:

XXXXXXX/X×

DEALER No:

DA68835/17

CAN ICES-003 (B)/NMB-003(B)

So the short-term confidentiality was supposed to expire today 2022-12-07 and Tesla filed an extension until 2023-02-07 Tesla wrote that the device will be marketed mid-January 2023.

That would mean that they will be introducing the new radar unit in approximately one month, so Tesla would produce vehicles without USS and radar for two months or did they already install the new radar units in the vehicles without USS?

no wonder they are discounting the heck out of november/ december production ;)
So the short-term confidentiality was supposed to expire today 2022-12-07 and Tesla filed an extension until 2023-02-07 Tesla wrote that the device will be marketed mid-January 2023.

That would mean that they will be introducing the new radar unit in approximately one month, so Tesla would produce vehicles without USS and radar for two months or did they already install the new radar units in the vehicles without USS?

Reactions: father_of_6
So does Tesla installing this new radar unit mean Tesla Vision is a fail?

And for those without any radar units, will it be required to run FSD in the future when FSD > L2?
I'm curious what they will do to bring back the basic proximity functionality for 2023's without USS. Not EAP or FSD related but basic things like parking sensors. Doubt a free retrofit will be offered, so will Tesla keep working on Tesla Vision to get it up to operating standards, even if it's just for basic USS functions?

Since I took delivery of my Tesla four weeks ago I have had several updates including the latest . Now I am very happy for the group of Thai speakers amongst the owners who can now add their language to the touch screen but when will there be some universally helpful updates. "Park assist" is no longer available on 2023 models due to removal of the ultrasonic sensors. But, I was asssured, have no fear "park assist and other features will be restored via series of over-the-air updates." Does anyone know when these updates will be available or are the engineers too busy with assisting Twitter with it's software issues. https:///www.tesla.com/support/transitioning-tesla-vision

Reactions: jeewee3000
Since I took delivery of my Tesla four weeks ago I have had several updates including the latest . Now I am very happy for the group of Thai speakers amongst the owners who can now add their language to the touch screen but when will there be some universally helpful updates. "Park assist" is no longer available on 2023 models due to removal of the ultrasonic sensors. But, I was asssured, have no fear "park assist and other features will be restored via series of over-the-air updates." Does anyone know when these updates will be available or are the engineers too busy with assisting Twitter with it's software issues. https:///www.tesla.com/support/transitioning-tesla-vision
No.

It's a theory that if human eyes can guess a distance then the computer Vision can too: Why wasting on sonars?

Now you just need to implement that theory into real life.

Tesla doesn't even say an approximate time: weeks, months, years, decades, or centuries...

Reactions: SalisburySam
Welcome to the wonders of Tesla ownership (no opt-out, long term beta test automotive experiment).

We have been wondering the same for 4-5 years now and dozens upon dozens of OTA updates... nothing changes, and nothing will.

The sad truth is the the turn-over in the dev teams working on UI/UX and car software features has done its job, and the focus remains infotainment, with everything else taking a backseat.

I'm curious what they will do to bring back the basic proximity functionality for 2023's without USS. Not EAP or FSD related but basic things like parking sensors. Doubt a free retrofit will be offered, so will Tesla keep working on Tesla Vision to get it up to operating standards, even if it's just for basic USS functions?
The information from Arbe Robotics says 7.5cm to 60cm (3” to 24”) resolution. So we have to wait for Tesla to confirm what radar or radars they are using. However if it is this version it should be able to replace the USS sensors.

Only Tesla would sell a $60k+ car with no parking sensors or ready-software out of factory. It really is mind boggling.
I've seen similar claims being repeated many times, but it's not true in this case:
Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

Many automakers, even in the premium market have cut parking sensors. The price is also irrelevant to the issue, the volume is the issue. The Model 3 outsells the Honda Accord (and Tesla also had the USS standard, while many cars have it optional), so Tesla needed lots more sensors than any other premium equivalent.

I've seen similar claims being repeated many times, but it's not true in this case:

Many automakers, even in the premium market have cut parking sensors. The price is also irrelevant to the issue, the volume is the issue. The Model 3 outsells the Honda Accord, so Tesla needs lots more sensors than any other premium equivalent.

Which part is not true? The USS-less software is not ready so many owners who got the car without USS (me included) are literally parking blind and hope we don't hit something. Not to mention, if someone bought EAP with a USS-less ModelY, half of the features do not work without USS. Here is the thing, if they cut the sensor, the car also isn't cheaper. Also, I am sure most $60k+ cars have 360 camera that is useful for parking which Tesla does not have. It's not my first Tesla so I do know what it used to have, let's not pretend what Tesla did this time is right.

Many automakers, even in the premium market have cut parking sensors. The price is also irrelevant to the issue, the volume is the issue. The Model 3 outsells the Honda Accord (and Tesla also had the USS standard, while many cars have it optional), so Tesla needed lots more sensors than any other premium equivalent.
It would be better if Tesla would cite parts shortage as the reason so we don't have to figure out how Tesla Vision will count how many pixels and spit out the distance result of 12" on the instrument cluster.

It would be better if Tesla would cite parts shortage as the reason so we don't have to figure out how Tesla Vision will count how many pixels and spit out the distance result of 12" on the instrument cluster.
Given Tesla has an alternative that can work (other automakers have nothing), of course they will spin it in the most positive way possible.

If you want to learn more about the occupancy network that Tesla's USS announcement pointed out, here's an article on it:
A Look at Tesla's Occupancy Networks

Dumping out a distance measurement from that should be fairly trivial. The only question is the depth resolution (will it still be 1" increments?).

Some sample images also in this post:

Which part is not true? The USS-less software is not ready so many owners who got the car without USS (me included) are literally parking blind and hope we don't hit something. Not to mention, if someone bought EAP with a USS-less ModelY, half of the features do not work without USS. Here is the thing, if they cut the sensor, the car also isn't cheaper.
It's literally not true that "Only Tesla would sell a $60k+ car with no parking sensors". I pointed out clear counter examples in that post of other manufacturers doing the same due to parts shortages.

I get people are mad about the removal, but people shouldn't pretend Tesla's the only one doing it.
Also, I am sure most $60k+ cars have 360 camera that is useful for parking which Tesla does not have.
Not true either. The most expensive cars tend to nickle and dime you the most and put those features into an option package.

Just as a sanity check, I played with the configurator of a E450 that starts at $62,750. The surround camera is in a $2400 option package (as is the parktronic parking sensors).
Build Your Own 2022 E 450 4MATIC Sedan

A M550i that starts at $80k also doesn't include it (it's in a $800 parking option package):
Build Your Own Car: Luxury Car Customizer by BMW USA

Same deal with an A6 55 TFSI (starts $60,800). You need a $2300 option package.
Build your own > 2023 A6 Sedan > 2023 > A6 Sedan [REDIRECT] > Audi | Luxury sedans, SUVs, convertibles, electric vehicles & more

Note the Model 3 starts at $47k now, and although the cars out of the factory don't have it yet now, Tesla have committed to a software solution using the cameras.

It's the cheap value oriented economy cars that tend to bundle the most features (Hyundais are usually the prime example).
It's not my first Tesla so I do know what it used to have, let's not pretend what Tesla did this time is right.

Last edited:
Given Tesla has an alternative that can work (other automakers have nothing), of course they will spin it in the most positive way possible.

If you want to learn more about the occupancy network that Tesla's USS announcement pointed out, here's an article on it:
A Look at Tesla's Occupancy Networks

Dumping out a distance measurement from that should be fairly trivial. The only question is the depth resolution (will it still be 1" increments?).

Some sample images also in this post:
I get the theory of Tesla Vision and will be amazed if it works, but you have to admit right now we (owners that took delivery since October 1st) have no parking functionality WHATSOEVER on a premium vehicle.

Believe me, I'm a Tesla/Elon fanboi, but this really is mind boggling that there is no software update or even a hint of it more than two months after they dropped the sensors/functionality.

And it's not like this is a premium feature. Like cruise control and automatic windows, parking sensors are now standard in all vehicles starting at $20k.
It really is embarrassing when people ask me stuff about my brand new car (I picked it up last weekend) and they find out the car doesn't "beep" when parking in close quarters.

As another poster mentioned: I could get on board if Tesla was honest about it (supply issues) and gave a decent timeline. At least give us beta parking software with a disclaimer it won't work 30% of the time. If the occupancy network exists since AI day (at least), they must have had time to implement a basic parking feature. And I'm not talking about autopark/summon, those can wait. Just a proximity guide so I don't wreck my brand new premium vehicle. I don't think that is too much to ask from the "leading technology company". Walk the walk instead of talk the talk, Tesla.