Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am proposing 50 shades of grey here. There are many variables at play in a safety situation and claiming that honking a horn is the one amazing definite way of addressing it is laughable at best.
Show me where I said that.

I never said the horn should be used in place of brakes as the “one amazing definite way” of avoiding a potential collision. But it can help mitigate or prevent a worse situation from happening because it’s a warning device. Many people drive distracted and are not paying attention and a horn can make them pay more attention. Like you said, many variables at play and you should use all the tools available at your disposal. Including accelerator, brake, steering, horn, lights, etc.

Sure some people use it just out of anger or retaliation but that’s not what we’re talking about.

And India and other countries where horn is used constantly is irrelevant here. When the horn is constantly used it’s no longer effective and just becomes background noise.

Reactions: ks1972 and enemji
I visited India just a few months ago for work. Great people. But I never understood the use of honking. Every car would start honking in anticipation at a red light about to turn green as if the guys in the very front have no incentive to move.
One late evening I was in New Delhi and everyone had left for the day. The roads were empty. I was standing by the side of the road with my partner and we saw 2 vehicles approaching from opposite directions.

I predicted that both of these vehicles will honk at each other even when they are not in any immediate danger of any accident, given that they are on opposite side with a concrete median in the middle. They did. 🤷🏽‍♂️

The thought process is like high school kids. Everyone wants attention. Everyone will talk the loudest lest they get forgotten

Reactions: nicksp
Honk more, wait more.

In some countries I've been to, they indeed use the horn much more, in effect to signify any change in their intentions - for example, before taking a turn or overtaking. They don't see it as a warning or a sign that the person who honks thinks anyone did anything wrong, it's just a way of passing information. It is very strange to us and very loud and confusing in general, but we should not see it as a sign of impatience or rudeness, it's just how they use it.

Reactions: enemji
So how much does the removal of USS and radar reduce the price of the car? So if the cost comes down by say 1k or 2k, all of a sudden it'll lead to many more buyers buying Teslas? OTOH those buying Teslas will not buy because what USS adds to the cost?
I would like to believe that it probably saves time on Assembly line. Tesla seems to be removing stuff that speeds up production, atleast that's my assumption as I cant see any other logical reason.

Reactions: enemji and nicksp
As if someone was going to run a blade while you were summoning and you want that alert?
I think it is more about the inconvenience. Why should you have to disable Sentry mode, use Summon, and then remember to re-enable Sentry mode? That is just plain silly. (If Sentry mode needs to be disabled, just pop-up an alert that says using Summon will temporarily disable summon, click OK to continue otherwise click Abort.)

I think it is more about the inconvenience. Why should you have to disable Sentry mode, use Summon, and then remember to re-enable Sentry mode? That is just plain silly. (If Sentry mode needs to be disabled, just pop-up an alert that says using Summon will temporarily disable summon, click OK to continue otherwise click Abort.)
oh....I thought it autodisabled. My bad.

A friend of mine is interested in a Model Y and was asking about our experience with my GFs 2023 version. I brought up what a huge PITA it is to park thanks to the lack of real parking sensors. He went to the Tesla showroom and a rep told him that the updated Y for 2024 (probably the Y version of Highland) is bringing USS back. Are they on the new Model 3 Highland models?

A friend of mine is interested in a Model Y and was asking about our experience with my GFs 2023 version. I brought up what a huge PITA it is to park thanks to the lack of real parking sensors. He went to the Tesla showroom and a rep told him that the updated Y for 2024 (probably the Y version of Highland) is bringing USS back. Are they on the new Model 3 Highland models?
Tesla showroom reps are as useful as Twitter misinformation spreading Russian bots 🤖

• Funny
Reactions: Technokrat
The Highland does not have the holes for it. I highly doubt they will return given Highland is all about cost reduction (they even eliminated the lower front fog lamps).