Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y A/C - is it me or is it crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

So we finally have some nice weather, and I like to keep my car cold. However my Model Y even when set to LO is just not kicking out that cold air.

Il add to the fact that it isn’t cold, the directional fans in the front don’t seem to point where I face them in the screen.

Has anyone noticed/had any issues? Considering raising a service request!

Have to set mine to med or high in this weather (22c here) to cool the car down. Once it is cool it is ok. I don't get it why when set it to auto, that you have to adjust the fan speed!!! It is weird.
You're not directly adjusting the fan speed, you're adjusting the overall airflow to your preference. Some people like more airflow, others prefer less. If you want to adjust the fan speed directly then when turning off Auto the Low/Med/High becomes 1-8.

Reactions: boombap
Have to set mine to med or high in this weather (22c here) to cool the car down. Once it is cool it is ok. I don't get it why when set it to auto, that you have to adjust the fan speed!!! It is weird.
Yea I ended up trying manual and all sorts to get the temp to stay down. The test drive car I had last summer before I purchased seem to feel ice cold which is why I wanted to ask.

You're not directly adjusting the fan speed, you're adjusting the overall airflow to your preference. Some people like more airflow, others prefer less. If you want to adjust the fan speed directly then when turning off Auto the Low/Med/High becomes 1-8.
Agreed, but airflow is fan speed. Setting the airflow is what manual is for.... auto should be just that - Auto. If i am out of the car and set the temp via the app, if the flow is on low then it will take longer to cool down. Auto should blast it out to reach the desired temperature.

Hi All,

So we finally have some nice weather, and I like to keep my car cold. However my Model Y even when set to LO is just not kicking out that cold air.

Il add to the fact that it isn’t cold, the directional fans in the front don’t seem to point where I face them in the screen.

Has anyone noticed/had any issues? Considering raising a service request!
I’d suggest the service request. Could be a refrigerant leak, bad sensor somewhere, something else, all of which are warranty-covered repairs. While your summers are somewhat less intense than ours in the colonies, the humidity can be truly oppressive. Would not want to have to drive long without fully functional HVAC.

I have never found it as strong as on my old non heat pump model 3 but its OK though.
A lot of people complain that they cannot get the vents to point high enough on the MY to hit their face. I am not very tall so its OK for me but I have it on max height so If I was taller I think I could see their point.

I am not very tall so its OK for me but I have it on max height so If I was taller I think I could see their point.
Can you really??? :)

1715267695970.png

• Funny
Reactions: Billbrown1982
I have never found it as strong as on my old non heat pump model 3 but its OK though.
A lot of people complain that they cannot get the vents to point high enough on the MY to hit their face. I am not very tall so its OK for me but I have it on max height so If I was taller I think I could see their point.
This is exactly it. I’m hoping there is some kind of calibration issue as the test drive car last year was spot on when I was messing around with it. Seems point just above the steering column no matter where I set it!

This is exactly it. I’m hoping there is some kind of calibration issue as the test drive car last year was spot on when I was messing around with it. Seems point just above the steering column no matter where I set it!
There have been threads and even you tube videos on this. I think its a hardware design I don't think there is a way to raise the air flow higher unless someone 6 foot plus on here wants to say that they can get a strong airflow on their face.
But the air should be cool it just does not feel as powerful if you can't direct it all at your face.

Have a Model 3 and least for the weather in UK seems fine.

Only thing I probably would say is it seems like there's a bubble of hot air just below the roof. You can feel it if you pur your hand up in a warm day. The only issue is at 6 foot 1 in a Model 3 I feel like the top of my head is in that heat bubble. Over time it's fine but takes quite a bit longer to cool that than rest of the car. I can see why people in hotter countries tint the glass roof even more than Tesla does it.

Agreed, but airflow is fan speed. Setting the airflow is what manual is for.... auto should be just that - Auto. If i am out of the car and set the temp via the app, if the flow is on low then it will take longer to cool down. Auto should blast it out to reach the desired temperature.
Airflow Low/Med/High fan speed. If you are in Auto and on the lowest airflow setting you can still be getting fast flowing air because the climate system needs to work harder to warm up/cool down the cabin. Once it reaches the set temperature it will slow down. If you want to completely regulate the fan speed you need to be in manual mode and set the fan level from 1-8.

Only thing I probably would say is it seems like there's a bubble of hot air just below the roof. You can feel it if you pur your hand up in a warm day. The only issue is at 6 foot 1 in a Model 3 I feel like the top of my head is in that heat bubble. Over time it's fine but takes quite a bit longer to cool that than rest of the car. I can see why people in hotter countries tint the glass roof even more than Tesla does it.
Perhaps that is it, thinking about getting a shade but I like the full pano roof… didn’t seem to have this issue in previous cars with pano roofs

Perhaps that is it, thinking about getting a shade but I like the full pano roof… didn’t seem to have this issue in previous cars with pano roofs
Before the Tesla, all cars I've had with panoramic roofs had a shade. Cannot remember for all of them but the newest ones I've had all shut the shade when you get out automatically. You can feel on those as well that when you open the shade on a hot day, the air between that glass and the shade is pretty hot. Just hasn't been an issue as my head hasn't ever been as close to that glass as it is in the Model 3.

That is probably radiant heat from the glass. The AC can quickly cool all of the air in the cabin down, but the body and glass will remain hot for a lot longer as it takes time for the cooler cabin air to transfer the heat out of the glass and metal. Same way the steering wheel will be hot to the touch for a while.

Best advice is run the AC for longer before you get in.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
That is probably radiant heat from the glass. The AC can quickly cool all of the air in the cabin down, but the body and glass will remain hot for a lot longer as it takes time for the cooler cabin air to transfer the heat out of the glass and metal. Same way the steering wheel will be hot to the touch for a while.

Best advice is run the AC for longer before you get in.
Yeah I understand this. Guess was just saying I can see why people in the US in hotter areas tint the roof as the factory tint isn't strong enough. Also first car I've had where my head is placed close enough to the glass to feel that radiant heat.

I don't find it a problem, I do run the HVAC before getting in for a while and normally long enough to mostly resolve this where at least I know I'm going out with enough warning. I just mentioned it as might be affecting some others where they think the AC isn't all that good. I actually think the HVAC system in the Heat Pump Model 3 we have is the best HVAC system I've ever had in a car. Also first EV we've had to be fair but compared to an ICE the speed it can adjust the temp both up and down is really impressive and fast.

Reactions: Skie