Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y no USS discussion, incl. Discussion of Tesla Vision Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods are probably gonna merge this, since this topic is already discussed in multiple threads

Welcome to phase 2 everyone. In this phase please feel free to complain how the latest update is not as accurate as USS.

Now that we left have left phase 1, we will no longer be accepting complaints that a replacement will never come and they will have to bring back USS.

When we get to phase 3, we will be allowing people to complain about the beeps and how it’s now detecting too much.

Lastly remember that complaints about how they should have rolled out the replacement before removing USS are acceptable in any phase, but not encouraged.

Can the vision-based park assist be turned off? I've personally found it to be worse than nothing, with it flipping out and beeping "STOP" the entire time I pull into my somewhat tight garage space and then happily missing giant lamp posts in my grocery store parking lot.

Reactions: Falcon73
As we all know we received a recent update 2023.6.9 for enabling the Vision based parking assist. Tesla conveniently removed ultra sonic sensors claiming that its a noise in their overall parking or sensor suite but we all know it was removed for cost cutting and to deal with supply shortages and supply chain issues. In any case, as long experience is same, for me it doesn't matter, but having said that, although this is just a initial version. I feel this vision based park assist is just a gimmick and will never be able to replace the benefit of USS.

I get it that Tesla wants to be forward looking and enabling latest tech but don't do it at the expanse of your users. Take a look at the pictures attached most of the time when that park assist is crucial for close parkings, it is unavailable. I believe ( could be wrong) is because , since there is no camera at the bumper where USS used to be, front top camera can't see in those close call parkings and just gives up. even for the regular parkings, I think all its doing is looking at obstruction through camera and then as soon as it hides under the front bumper it uses tires circumference & rotation movement to approx. how close is that obstruction is.

In case of FSD, I get it that feature was beta from the start, so charging people but not making it available for masses made sense, as it had to be fully enabled but for this USS was fully enabled and working feature, they took money from us but didn't provide the same experience as before and rather I feel my 2018 MODEL 3 has more robust parking, enhanced autopilot and other features ( cough-Cough: garage door opener)

I just feel TESLA is getting cheaper and charging people while reducing the experience. does anyone else also feel the same ??

tempImageD6zU89.jpg

Last edited:
My Tesla was delivered shortly after Autopilot 2.0 was announced and they removed the ~$5 moisture sensor that every other car on the planet uses to implement automatic wipers in favor of using the cameras.

Had no automatic wipers whatsoever for like 18 months. Now 6.5 years later they’re still trash and don’t work half as well as literally any other car on the market.

This behavior is not new, and your instinct is correct - the vision based feature is crap, might eventually become slightly less smelly crap, but will never be as good as the ultrasonic sensors they removed.

Coming from an Audi q7 that was accurate as hell ..Tesla vision is disappointing to say the least. In Audi it would chime when rear or front was close. This thing chimes all over in a tight garage..may have to get used to it or turn it off. I bought this prior to having the vision and these seem to do more than Tesla Vision

STKR Concepts 00135 Side Garage Parking Sensor - Easy Guide System https://a.co/d/clbm95U

We all should join hands together and wait & see for 1 year if they can pull this off other wise we should sue them for doing this kind of business. I was a die hard fan of Tesla but I cannot accept a sub-par level experience for premium charges. I hope someone from Tesla is reading/watching this.

• Helpful
Reactions: tomsla and Flemingo
After 2023.2.12, I never got 2023.2.200. So, unless I got unknowingly "enrolled" in the early access program, I'd say standard has one set of version numbers and advanced has another.

I got my MYP on 2/20/2023 and it was before 3/20/23 when I got 2023.2.12. I didn't document it, but it should've been at the beginning of the month. It was before my March 12th post about someone else seeing "update" but not actually getting any.

I'm not saying hitting advanced will get you the newest update immediately, as it still takes time to roll out.
2023.2.200 is a factory FW version. New deliveries have a stable version with a different number than we would see out in public.
There is no difference in the FW numbers between advanced and standard. Tesla will just push out a new FW earlier if you have advanced checked.
I have an account on TeslaFi and through that you can see all the FW versions that are installed on the TeslaFi fleet. Detailed stats including which version the user previously had before installing the latest version. Tesla updates aren't always linear. Sometimes you will miss a version and skip ahead to a new one.

Reactions: tomsla and Yomanjm
Why doesn’t Tesla test it out first and achieve a high level of accuracy before they release something like this? Maybe before removing USS sensors. They can do this in-house in a controlled environment, unlike self driving.
Because removing USS was a knee jerk reaction by Musk due to a combination of

1) Component shortages and
2) A newfound opportunity to cut costs

So once the word came down from Musk, the engineers were then tasked with solving the problem.
USS would have been removed due to supply shortages, regardless of if they had replacement software ready. Tesla was not the only one that did it, here were a bunch, including premium automakers:
Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

It's simply not an option to wait, because there is no way Tesla will hold up production for a feature that at most is worth a few hundred bucks. That Tesla had a software solution in the works was just a bonus. Other manufacturers had to make do with no parking assist at all.

Well it was quicker than my expectations, which were low. I realize that's a dumb thing to think for a $60K+ car, but such is life.

Overall I think the whole thing is stupid. The minivan I bought back in 2017 brand new for 27K has rear parking sensors and can even detect and warn you when a vehicle is approaching from either side while you're backing up. Yet here we have none of that.

So yeah, not trying to apologize for Tesla, cause I think they really screwed up on this one, just saying that I'm glad to be back to at least 7/10ths of where we used to be.
That's rear cross traffic alert, which requires two rear radar. No Tesla ever had that, even when the cars had that had USS. It's a completely different feature. FYI the price of a premium car does not necessarily mean it has more features. Most premium cars actually have less features than an economy car of similar price. For example for BMW you have to buy a $800 option to even get parking sensors, by default they don't come with them.

Reactions: WyoDude
It took them 6 month to realize that camera will not work as well as sonar. But it’s too late to go back on their words, so they have to release something.
Nope, they would have removed USS regardless. The occupancy network (which they have been working on for a while already) however gave them a decent replacement. It has advantages (can finally detect low curbs and also the sides) but has disadvantages (mainly in the front where they have to rely on persistence).

Reactions: glovelace
I didn't get the update yet, hope it will come during this week. But on tests people have showed on YT and reddit it seams borderline of good enough.

It has really good potential for example when displaying curb lines which traditional park assist could not do.

Some people have tested with successful 1" precision which would be really great, but depending on the case it can be off even by 20". Also unlike USS it does not detect distances regardless of what the object is, it rely on labeling objects and seams that they are labeling only walls, vehicles and curbs. It can be completely blind to dogs, people, cones or other objects that were not introduced on the park assist portion of the software.

Also the lines around it are not stable enough so you would be confident. They are dancing around and is not enough if you want to align the car on the spot based on them. In my park spot I have around 3" from a pillar that is close to the repeater camera, as it is now there is zero chance that I use the lines to help on that pillar.

Unfortunately I am no longer optimistic on the future of this park assist. I see a real chance that they will sit on it as it is pretty much as they did on EAP features like smart summon and auto park. They delivered the feature but is so borderline unusable that no one takes it seriously, several years later and it is still same with no improvements.

Hope I am wrong and they keep developing and improving it because it has good potential.

Welcome to phase 2 everyone. In this phase please feel free to complain how the latest update is not as accurate as USS.
Only if you bought before the price reductions. No USS, but up to $13,000 less AND a $7,500 tax credit? That seems more than fair.

I'm a big fan of Tesla's minimalist approach. I like the idea of fewer parts/components - fewer things to go wrong. I find the USS parking sensors in most cars to be frequently inaccurate, so don't rely on them anyway - seems we are ultra-critical of Tesla, and give others a pass.

In reality, we all have the privilege of being part of a technology revolution. Some day when you send your grandkids to school in a FSD car, you can tell them, "I was one of the the first ever with vision-only parking assist! It was like hand crank starting an old Model T!"

So here's mine: "Learned to drive in a huge '60s Buick, only audible alarms during parking were scraping of fenders/bumpers." You figured it out pretty quickly. So the other alternative, like Engi_Nerd, just turn off the chimes and learn to drive like a boomer!

I find impressive that sometimes it works with 1" precision. Also is very promising that it can render curb lines and other things that wouldn't be possible with USS.

But if it not reliable it doesn't help much. We need park assist for precision. If it will be off by 20" like some people have demonstrated it is just useless and embarrassing.

I am just afraid that it will not be developed, like auto park and and smart summon that we delivered in a way that is pretty much embarrassing to use and never got improved.

That way it is now it is not helpful or available on the situation that we actually need park assist. Hope I am wrong and they keep improving it, because it can be really good.