Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Chevy Blazer EV: Up to 320 mile range, MSRP between $45-$66k, plus a “Police Pursuit” model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NDA - way to go with new vehicle introduction to the market!
You just reek of desperate at this point.

GM is giving $5,500 discount to Lyriq customers who agree to let GM get feedback data from their vehicles.

It's an optional discount that customers don't have to accept.

That's like CODE for this is a *sugar* product, so we'll pay you not to share your terrible experiences with any other HUMANS.
It's in opt-in feedback program.

Customers are NOT forced to join.

It also doesn't prohibit customers from reporting issues to NHTSA or other regulatory body.

In a statement emailed to the Free Press, Flores said: "Cadillac created a small-scale Ambassador program to provide some early learnings from the first vehicles sold. ... This includes handling, performance, safety, comfort and any other feedback the Ambassadors wish to share as Cadillac enthusiasts. While the program agreement contains provisions designed to protect GM confidential and proprietary information, it is not intended to, and does not, prohibit or preclude participants from reporting any issue, safety or otherwise, to NHTSA or any other regulatory body."

Last edited:
You have no idea how the auto industry works.

Every automaker buys its competitors’ vehicles for testing and analysis.

It would be insanely stupid if GM doesn’t do that.

The Model S has been out 12 years - 12 YEARS. I have one that is 11.5 years old.

If GM bought that 12 year old Model S and tore it down, GM would have learned a lot to apply to this design. But apparently they STILL didn't apply anything they should have learned (don't use pouch batteries for OBVIOUS reasons).

We're not all Elon fanbois - the tech in this car is LEGIT 10+ years behind Tesla's.

Straight up - right now, if I could not buy a Tesla, I would buy a Ford, or a CHINESE EV. That's how bad I think GM is at making EVs. BOTTOM OF THE BARREL BAD. And it's because they don't care. They could do it, but they still only care about their high-margin trucks and SUVs on the ICE platform, and wringing every last penny they can out of those investments.

Let's do a price comparison

Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium (303 mi): $48,775

KIA EV6 WIND (310 mi): $48,795

Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE (303 mi): $44,000

Chevy Blazer EV 2LT (293 mi): $47,595

Tesla Model Y Long Range (318 mi): $65,990
Hi Mockingbird. Thank you for posting this stuff on the blazer. I was looking forward to it.

1) I agree with you in that a car with instruments in the center, so you have to look away, is objectively inferior, a nonsense form-over function thing at the start, which I believe was started, or really took off, with the mini. I think Elon grabbed that and ran with it because, as you said, he just wanted to jack up profit. The objective evidence for that is his $100k models S and X both have instruments.

2) Bravo to Blazer for having a speedo and a HUD. Unfortunately, I think the A/C vents look like a spectacular nearly endless wasteland of plastic painted to look like chrome, and looks cheap and awful. Other commenters here said it looked busy. The interior was a dealbreaker for me.

3) I disagree with you on your price comparisons. MYLR is standard AWD, which means a second motor, which is a considerable expense. AWD ALWAYS decreases range, so your posting the above range numbers on the blazer, looking close to that of the Tesla, is an unreasonable comparison. One should only compare the MYLR price to that with the REAL price of AWD and 300+ mile range other models. Here's another example: I personally went to the Kia dealer, and your $48k car above was really $59k sticker in AWD, and then they wanted a $10k dealer premium. Seriously. (One more complexity: the Kia charges significantly faster than the MYLR, so although the range is only like 270 (or 279 can't remember which), in practical terms on a roadtrip the amount of time and stops are very, very similar. If you can find a real-world charger that gives the 250kW that is...) So, I think you should look into your comparisons a *lot* more. My use case (long road trips on snowy roads) means AWD and 300 rated mile range is really, really important, so you can't ignore those points.

Bringing this back to Tesla: T's drive pretty good, silly-sick acceleration, rather efficient and therefore long range, and they have a charge network that people report as vastly superior. Those are really basic, objective, important positives (except maybe the acceleration, which will probably just help me get myself killed one day). I have the MYLR on order even though I hate, detest, revile, think is idiotic, make fun of, and rail against lack of instruments near your field of vision while driving, because nothing even comes close on the basics except the EV6 AWD (pretty much the same price). Perhaps if I'm really, really really lucky I'll drive an MY before I'm dead.

-TPC

PS

The EV6 is really dark inside and has much less and much less useful cargo room, and it has the jaw-droppingly awesome overhead view for parking. And instruments where they are easy to see. (For me, it lost out on the first two negatives and lack of supercharger network.)

Straight up - right now, if I could not buy a Tesla, I would buy a Ford, or a CHINESE EV. That's how bad I think GM is at making EVs.

Ford uses pouch batteries too. I'd go Chinese or Hyundai over a Ford or GM EV. Of course I'd take Tesla over any of them, and I have. :cool:

I think Ford will do okay in the market, but I feel GM is going to have some pain over the next few years. I hope they can survive the disruption...

Reactions: bkp_duke
Ford uses pouch batteries too. I'd go Chinese or Hyundai over a Ford or GM EV. Of course I'd take Tesla over any of them, and I have. :cool:

I think Ford will do okay in the market, but I feel GM is going to have some pain over the next few years. I hope they can survive the disruption...

Honestly, I don't think GM deserves to survive. They were bailed out a decade ago, and STILL have not to this day paid back fully the taxpayers for that.

I would prefer a Rivian to take their place. A company that is American, and understands how things need to progress, and isn't going to rake the taxpayers over the coals because they failed to innovate.

If you don't innovate, you should DIE.

I worked with GM automotive engineers for years and I still have friends there, so my wish for GM to make it is solely for their sake.

Respectfully, I think they should take their talents elsewhere then. If the product isn't competitive, then you can't keep a company alive "just for the employees". It just means when the next round of competition comes at them, they will be even less prepared and further behind.

I wish your friends the best, and hope they find new jobs that sparks their creative talent. But GM needs to just die. It's a barnacle.

I wish your friends the best, and hope they find new jobs that sparks their creative talent. But GM needs to just die. It's a barnacle.

I think they'll be fine, most of the GM engineers I knew owned lots of TSLA shares! In fact they are what got me interested in seriously investing into Tesla myself. I found it very compelling that GM engineers owned stock in Tesla.... 🤔

The Model S has been out 12 years - 12 YEARS. I have one that is 11.5 years old.

If GM bought that 12 year old Model S and tore it down, GM would have learned a lot to apply to this design. But apparently they STILL didn't apply anything they should have learned (don't use pouch batteries for OBVIOUS reasons).

We're not all Elon fanbois - the tech in this car is LEGIT 10+ years behind Tesla's.

Straight up - right now, if I could not buy a Tesla, I would buy a Ford, or a CHINESE EV. That's how bad I think GM is at making EVs. BOTTOM OF THE BARREL BAD. And it's because they don't care. They could do it, but they still only care about their high-margin trucks and SUVs on the ICE platform, and wringing every last penny they can out of those investments.

Most consumers don't care about the type of batteries that are in their vehicles.

So as long as the vehicle can them to their destinations and not stranded, that's what matters.

Great job on the design, and I like it. Looks like the same platform as the Caddy Lyriq with different body panels. Given all the bells and whistles of the car, I don't see it being profitable at that price point. Just consider the Mach-E, being 2nd most popular and taking a loss for every vehicle. I'll believe it when I see it, but GM is behind and hasn't sold a single EV. Lots of marketing, very little results. Tesla has spent $0 on advertising because all the others are spending millions on SuperBowl ads, and they go out looking for an EV, and only Tesla is available to buy. Thanks, GM!

TFLEV has a good preview video on the Blazer EV:

I still don't care for it. No frunk, no heat pump, decent range but it likely has a huge battery pack compared to Teslas to get that range. The interior is just too busy for me, I've been spoiled by Tesla interiors I guess.

I still hope it sells well though.
Every* EV is a win, good luck to the techies & others at OEMs who understand that ICE is for niche only. Let's hope EVs from everyone just get better, cheaper and most importantly displace fossil fuel use. I expect improvements everywhere at a fast pace for many reasons,

*well apart from really daft monstrosities - Hummer

TFLEV has a good preview video on the Blazer EV:

I still don't care for it. No frunk, no heat pump, decent range but it likely has a huge battery pack compared to Teslas to get that range. The interior is just too busy for me, I've been spoiled by Tesla interiors I guess.

I still hope it sells well though.
Every vehicle on GM’s Ultium platform has a heat pump.

Also, I am not sure why someone would want a strip down interior: it’s just a cost saving feature.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: SO16 and bkp_duke

Also, I am not sure why someone would want a strip down interior: it’s just a cost saving feature.
Then why would you want to pay extra for an interior like that? That's like saying why would someone want an iphone without a million buttons, its just a cost saving feature so I am sticking with my Blackberry.

The spartan interior isn't for everyone, some people just like lots of buttons and dials. I've grown very fond of Tesla's minimized interior design and I find it extremely easy, convenient to operate, and atheistically appealing.

I look at that Blazer interior and it doesn't appeal to me at all, it's a large negative to me now.

Buttons are not "features". They are individual items with a failure rate.

Many (most?) people prefer clean and lean designs to "buttons everywhere". Obviously things like window controls need to remain, etc. But even "traditional auto" is reducing their button counts, and finding that customers are happy with more controls integrated into the touchscreen.

You are correct about the heat pump Ultium (thank you Tesla for showing everyone how that is a good thing).