Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 LR AWD is now eligible for the $7500 tax credit [posted 06/17/2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sticking point was rare minerals sourced from China. This was banned completely. As of March 3rd is not anymore. If you look at window stickers, Tesla was fine in the percentage department. So the question is again - do you know that the battery was changed?
There you go. New battery since March 3rd doesn't have China materials. Windows sticker doesn't show battery break down. It shows overall car components.

Just like the 4680 in my Cybertruck is different then the 4680 in a Model Y doesn't mean I know what's changed. It's all made at the same place.

This is literally not hard to figure out. Tesla does not have anywhere else to get the cells from to qualify. Their supply chain is readily available to see and audit. Model Y sales are down (yes they are - YoY is not a good comparison for production), cell supply is up.

Tesla literally has M3 LR cars in inventory right now online. Some qualify and some do not…PER TESLA THEMSELVES ON THE WEBSITE READILY AVAILABLE TO SEE. Bc some have the LG battery imported from Korea (do not qualify) and then they switched to the Panasonic cells from Nevada that do qualify.

Feel free to bookmark my posts and come back to comment when the first tear downs, spec sheets, and reviews come out proving I was right.

Have a good evening

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
You:

Also you:

Pick a lane my dude.

Indeed. You provide some yourself below:

Tesla sold more Model Ys in Q1 of 2024 in the US than they did Q1 of 2023.

Sales of the Y were up not down YoY in the US.

Let me clarify. I made cookies yesterday at my bakery using Fiji water and today I uses costco water. It's the same cookie made at the same place. In everyone's eyes and mouth it's the same cookie, but it's a new formula. Hence, a new cookie.

This is what Tesla did. They had raw materials from China last year to make the 1st batch of Model 3s. Now they have raw materials from the US to make the same 2170 batteries for the 3. It's the same battery spec made at the same place buts it's using raw materials from US. In essence it's a new battery because it's different than ones made in February because it has raw materials from China.

Anyway. Now Model 3 bought today quialfys but not the ones from yesterday or before.

Let me clarify. I made cookies yesterday at my bakery using Fiji water and today I uses costco water. It's the same cookie made at the same place. In everyone's eyes and mouth it's the same cookie, but it's a new formula. Hence, a new cookie.

This is what Tesla did. They had raw materials from China last year to make the 1st batch of Model 3s. Now they have raw materials from the US to make the same 2170 batteries for the 3.

Which materials specifically, and where "from the US" do you imagine they magically obtained them?

It's the same battery spec made at the same place

The battery cells in the non-qualifying LR AWD Model 3 are made in Asia as the place. In an LG factory.

So are you claiming they shipped US minerals (sourced from where again?) to that overseas factory for LG to make the cells there-- then shipped the cells BACK to the US-- to qualify under the IRA with those cells?

Because the only place in the US that Tesla 2170 cells are made is at the Gigafactory in Nevada-- by Panasonic-- and those cells only went into Model Ys and Performance Model 3s so far this year.

Last edited:
Yes they did. It's 60/50 btw. What changed is that if you had any China sourced rare minerals you were banned from tax credits. As of May 3rd this is allowed.

Anyway, it qualify today so good news for new Tesla shoppers. Not sure why Tesla didn't do this on May 4th. The owners who picked up before today doesn't get the credit since it must take place at point of sale. Right?

Anyway, it qualify today so good news for new Tesla shoppers. Not sure why Tesla didn't do this on May 4th. The owners who picked up before today doesn't get the credit since it must take place at point of sale. Right?

Not right, no.

POS is an optional way to take the credit on a car that qualifies- not a required one.

You can still just tax the credit when you file your taxes is you (and the car) otherwise qualify.

So it's possible this will be available retroactively (to at least May 3rd or 4th buyers--- though IIRC when a similar thing of the IRS issuing final guidelines LAST year happened and it turned out the RWD qualified after all, it was retroactive to Jan 1 for all buyers).

Remains to be seen which retroactivity, if any, applies in this case though.

Reactions: Thysanopter
Guys seriously just go to Teslas website and look at the M3 LR inventory. There are many available for sale right now that do NOT qualify for the tax credit. Tesla literally says they do not. Why would that be? Bc they have a different battery. If they had the same battery they would qualify. This isn’t rocket science.

LG 2170 battery from Korea = does not qualify
Panasonic 2170 battery from Nevada = qualifies

Source? PER TESLA THEMSELVES

Reactions: P-Lo801 and E90alex
They couldn't immediately, because if you look at the regulations, the manufacturer had to submit a plan to treasury that it will comply with regulations by 2027, before it was allowed to be approved under this final rule from May 3rd. The timeline checks out. The point of sale issue is a valid one though, I'm not sure if this applies to credit transfer only, or to the whole credit making it unavailable to taxpayer at the year end. If I had money I would challenge it in court as unconstitutional.

It took them a full day to update the BTO models with the tax credit. It's a website. I don't consider this to have any meaning at all. Like, do they think people will pay 8k more for a used car with 1000 miles over a new one?
They still have 2023 Model 3s for sale so yeah they do. Also not everyone qualifies for the tax credit.

In summary: the M3 LR now has Panasonic cells from Nevada, same as the M3P and all Model Y trims. The old cells are LG cells from Korea and do not and will not qualify at any time for the tax credit.

I’m gunna unfollow this thread now. No one wants to believe the truth staring them in the face. Like I said, bookmark my posts and check back in a few weeks. I’ll be nice to everyone who said I was wrong 😂

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
So, who's right, Matt Salts or Troy Teslike, because I'm not sure what you want to prove. Or who either of those guys are.
I’m not convinced of either argument. I need to see more proof. I’d did email a different Tesla advisor today and specifically asked whether ALL LR M3’s qualify for the tax credit or only certain VINS and he assured me it applies to all LR M3’s.

I’m not convinced of either argument. I need to see more proof. I’d did email a different Tesla advisor today and specifically asked whether ALL LR M3’s qualify for the tax credit or only certain VINS and he assured me it applies to all LR M3’s.
That would make the most sense. Otherwise Tesla would issue some manufacturing cut off date. We know that cars fulfilling the tax credit rule were made before the announcement was made.

Guys seriously just go to Teslas website and look at the M3 LR inventory. There are many available for sale right now that do NOT qualify for the tax credit. Tesla literally says they do not. Why would that be? Bc they have a different battery. If they had the same battery they would qualify. This isn’t rocket science.

LG 2170 battery from Korea = does not qualify
Panasonic 2170 battery from Nevada = qualifies

Source? PER TESLA THEMSELVES
Do the ones with the credit have more range? The Panasonic packs have a bit more energy than the LGs. I suspect the difference is more bureaucratic paperwork than a change in battery.