Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming you are heating the battery prior to these runs? How long does that take from a cold start? Do you/can you keep it heated at all times?
For, 11.17 that was with a fully optimized battery. We typically have to wait for 10-15 minutes in the staging area at the track. I preheat then and by the time my run starts the battery is at optimal temps.

Reactions: wook
Hi, all. New member here, future (soon) Tesla owner. When I build out the M3P on the site, even with white interior, it shows estimated delivery for June (less than a month away). Does that seem to be accurate? Aren't there delays with white interior, or is that only for other models?

I'm in Florida, if that matters. Thanks!
If you ordered today I wouldn’t expect a car until July or August. June is not realistic if ordering today.

Reactions: cptnslo
Is there an update on the centers that have one to go look at? It's been another 10 days or so; I would hope they'd be around
I haven't seen an update since that original list came out.

What you could do, though, is have a look at the Tesla showroom listing:

Find the few that are within acceptable distance of you, and give them a call. They can confirm if they have one yet, or might even be able to tell you when they're getting one for the floor. :)

I haven't seen an update since that original list came out.

What you could do, though, is have a look at the Tesla showroom listing:

Find the few that are within acceptable distance of you, and give them a call. They can confirm if they have one yet, or might even be able to tell you when they're getting one for the floor. :)
Hah! I call them all every few days. I was just hoping someone else had access to the "list"

Reactions: arkhos
I really don’t understand how so many people don’t see right through this. It’s 100% obvious that it’s a ludicrous badge, indicating that ludicrous mode is coming.

They don’t want to say that out loud because some will choose to wait until ludicrous mode is available before they will purchase. So they hold it back, sell as many cars as possible to those who are excited about the car and either don’t care or see right through this, and then later on when ludicrous mode is released you get automatic free advertising from all over the place and there’s another great quarter waiting for them to pull that trigger whenever they feel like they need it.
YES! I think this is 100% the case - I've been thinking all along, there's a Ludicrous badge but NO MENTION of 'ludicrous' anywhere. Even the acceleration mode is called 'insane' - why? This first iteration of the Model 3 Performance is NOT the final stage of this car and it will be refreshed soon. I think early adopters will be sorely disappointed when the actual Ludicrous version comes out. Did you notice how weird the release (or lack thereof) for this car was? For months we heard nothing of a Performance model but saw dozens of leaked photos, all hoping for 'ludicrous' numbers - the surprise was spoiled before the official release even happened. And then, no 1/4 times anywhere, no word of top-end performance, two different battery packs and power figures... Which leads us to the next point.

Historically, Tesla swaps out batteries every ~3 years or so. That means the US spec M3P's Panasonic pack and the international LG pack are overdue for a refresh. I've been saying, the power is NERFED in this car! The new drive unit 4D2 rear motor alone is capable of 400hp+ so why is the car only advertised at 500hp? This car is capable of putting out nearly 700hp but is power-limited by this battery (which btw, has very lackluster charging performance too). Time for a new pack!

Tesla has shown us that buying the first iteration of a new model is NOT a wise move... Think 2021 vs 2022 Plaid owners. Think of the Raven MS 2017/2018. Think of early 'vintage' M3P to the newer ones. Yeah, I'm going to WAIT on this new Model 3 Performance... Ludicrous is not even out yet!

Which makes me speculate further, are they nerfing the new M3P as to not cannibalize Model S sales? New Plaid seats indicates some further investment in MS line. Will they 1-up the Sapphire? Or, will we finally see a Model S sunset, giving way to a new Model 3 trim worthy of 'Ludicrous' naming (MSLR specs in a M3 car)?

Let's see what happens... I think a proper Ludicrous Model 3 will be coming soon, whether via new battery pack, OTA update (?), or refresh in 6-18 months.

Just like all Tesla's, this one is not fully baked, but good enough at launch. That's the reason no 0-60 or 1/4 mile testing. It's going to get better. CyberTruck is still waiting on too many OTA updates to critical features. I am going to check it out today as my local store has one.
I expect:
Track Mode V3 will get more features including Launch/drag mode.
They will be able to tweak the suspension for even better comfort/handling.
No or very little extra power.
No or very little extra cooling vs previous M3P.

Best performance per dollar sedan by a huge margin.
Agree completely with this thinking -- the car is not fully baked and it clearly shows if you look hard enough. But, will these 'ludicrous' nameworthy updates to the M3P come at a new price point (i.e. a new battery pack, loss of EV rebate) or will it be an OTA update? Will first-iteration Model 3 Performances with the Panasonic/LG pack be capped at their power numbers, and a new proper Model 3 Ludicrous version come out in a year or so?

It seems they're not disclosing a whole lot of info. This Model 3 Performance release was so weird. We saw it coming months ahead with leaked photos but were largely disappointed in the lack of 'ludicrous' anywhere other than the badge design...

I can definitely see a proper 'ludicrous' Model 3 getting launch/drag mode as the drive units can put out nearly 700hp at peak! How to do this without jeopardizing Model S LR/P sales? Will we see a MS sunset, or a MS refresh? Plaid+ and upgraded MSLR?

This first iteration of the Model 3 Performance is NOT the final stage of this car and it will be refreshed soon. I think early adopters will be sorely disappointed when the actual Ludicrous version comes out.
This part of the theory doesn't make sense to me.

It seems a serious misstep to put the ludicrous badge on the car if a software-unlock of a mode labelled Ludicrous will not be available.

If the plan was "this chassis but with some additional upgrades will be available only as a full new car purchase later" then the 2024 M3P should not have had the badging.

This part of the theory doesn't make sense to me.

It seems a serious misstep to put the ludicrous badge on the car if a software-unlock of a mode labelled Ludicrous will not be available.

If the plan was "this chassis but with some additional upgrades will be available only as a full new car purchase later" then the 2024 M3P should not have had the badging.
Yep. I think more likely there may have been some internal disagreement as to what to call this car. And we ultimately ended up with a badge that doesn’t quite make sense

Agree completely with this thinking -- the car is not fully baked and it clearly shows if you look hard enough. But, will these 'ludicrous' nameworthy updates to the M3P come at a new price point (i.e. a new battery pack, loss of EV rebate) or will it be an OTA update? Will first-iteration Model 3 Performances with the Panasonic/LG pack be capped at their power numbers, and a new proper Model 3 Ludicrous version come out in a year or so?

It seems they're not disclosing a whole lot of info. This Model 3 Performance release was so weird. We saw it coming months ahead with leaked photos but were largely disappointed in the lack of 'ludicrous' anywhere other than the badge design...

I can definitely see a proper 'ludicrous' Model 3 getting launch/drag mode as the drive units can put out nearly 700hp at peak! How to do this without jeopardizing Model S LR/P sales? Will we see a MS sunset, or a MS refresh? Plaid+ and upgraded MSLR?
This car with it's current battery and motors won't ever have more peak power. They can and probably did optimize the launch and mid speed power drop off. I feel it's worthy of the badge, but it's purely a marketing thing. there will 100% never be a software unlock for more power. It is also very very unlikely that a modified version will be launched with extra speed.

It's a massive performance value that's better in every way. Suspension makes the car and this one seems to have nailed it. It was already too fast for public roads.

that means closer to cannibalizing Roaster/S sales. is 2.9 Sec not enough for this price range? it's more than enough for me.

Reactions: Gasaraki
it's not the exact same Ludicrous badge that currently exists. just similar looking in appearance.
I suspect you're mixing up Plaid and Ludicrous.

AFAIK, [1] Tesla has only used this badging on 2024+ Model 3 Performance and [2] it's dead on for the Ludicrous Speed image in Spaceballs the movie [to the point where they might have some copyright issues].

A decent screen capture of the transition from Ludicrous to Plaid:
1715028444084.png

I suspect you're mixing up Plaid and Ludicrous.

AFAIK, [1] Tesla has only used this badging on 2024+ Model 3 Performance and [2] it's dead on for the Ludicrous Speed image in Spaceballs the movie [to the point where they might have some copyright issues].

A decent screen capture of the transition from Ludicrous to Plaid:
View attachment 1044889
yes, i am. point is both badges look similar. not the same. "Insane" is already used in the non-Plaid model S drive modes. then theres insane+ and Ludicrous+

Last edited: