Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, i am. point is both badges look similar. not the same. "Insane" is already used in the non-Plaid model S drive modes.
Disagree.

Ludicrous from the movie
1715029072739.png

2024 Model 3 Performance badging
- UI
1715029107920.png

- Seats
1715029138301.png

- Trunk
1715029229653.png

YES! I think this is 100% the case - I've been thinking all along, there's a Ludicrous badge but NO MENTION of 'ludicrous' anywhere. Even the acceleration mode is called 'insane' - why? This first iteration of the Model 3 Performance is NOT the final stage of this car and it will be refreshed soon. I think early adopters will be sorely disappointed when the actual Ludicrous version comes out. Did you notice how weird the release (or lack thereof) for this car was? For months we heard nothing of a Performance model but saw dozens of leaked photos, all hoping for 'ludicrous' numbers - the surprise was spoiled before the official release even happened. And then, no 1/4 times anywhere, no word of top-end performance, two different battery packs and power figures... Which leads us to the next point.

Historically, Tesla swaps out batteries every ~3 years or so. That means the US spec M3P's Panasonic pack and the international LG pack are overdue for a refresh. I've been saying, the power is NERFED in this car! The new drive unit 4D2 rear motor alone is capable of 400hp+ so why is the car only advertised at 500hp? This car is capable of putting out nearly 700hp but is power-limited by this battery (which btw, has very lackluster charging performance too). Time for a new pack!

Tesla has shown us that buying the first iteration of a new model is NOT a wise move... Think 2021 vs 2022 Plaid owners. Think of the Raven MS 2017/2018. Think of early 'vintage' M3P to the newer ones. Yeah, I'm going to WAIT on this new Model 3 Performance... Ludicrous is not even out yet!

Which makes me speculate further, are they nerfing the new M3P as to not cannibalize Model S sales? New Plaid seats indicates some further investment in MS line. Will they 1-up the Sapphire? Or, will we finally see a Model S sunset, giving way to a new Model 3 trim worthy of 'Ludicrous' naming (MSLR specs in a M3 car)?

Let's see what happens... I think a proper Ludicrous Model 3 will be coming soon, whether via new battery pack, OTA update (?), or refresh in 6-18 months.
Great way to rationalize not getting a new car.

Tesla has made it clear that -- as a company -- they can't decide. They put a ludicrous badge on it but labelled the mode Insane.

Pick a lane, Tesla.
LOL my thoughts exactly. Why is it a ludicrous badge if the acceleration mode is called Insane? It's not a coincidence that Tesla never mentions "Ludicrous" anywhere in the name. Remember when we first saw this? That's what they were going with, Ludicrous badge but still "DUAL MOTOR". Sheesh. Drives me nuts.
1715046267899.png

that means closer to cannibalizing Roaster/S sales. is 2.9 Sec not enough for this price range? it's more than enough for me.
2.9 is great, but it just doesn't make sense as to why it's being advertised with a Ludicrous badge with no actual mention of 'ludicrous' name anywhere - I mean 'ludicrous' is right below Plaid, right? Remmber the S P85D, P90D, and P100D with Ludicrous Mode making 0-60mph times of 2.5-2.8 seconds? That's why it's frustrating. They didn't commit to Performance nor Ludicrous - it's just confused.

This man is saying what we’re all thinking…the new M3P is a huge let down. One can argue the opposite “rationalizing your purchase for a new car” but at the end of the day we all wanted more top end power and this release doesn’t have it…
Whatever does it for you. At the end of the day "you all" weren't looking for new cars. That's pretty obvious.

This car with it's current battery and motors won't ever have more peak power. They can and probably did optimize the launch and mid speed power drop off. I feel it's worthy of the badge, but it's purely a marketing thing. there will 100% never be a software unlock for more power. It is also very very unlikely that a modified version will be launched with extra speed.

It's a massive performance value that's better in every way. Suspension makes the car and this one seems to have nailed it. It was already too fast for public roads.
I agree with you! The 2024 M3P is a more well rounded car with a bespoke exterior that makes it stand out vs the original and now finally comes with sport seats, adaptive suspension, forged wheels and a motor/cooling system analagous to that of the MS that will allow it to pull hard to at least 100 MPH, which was a huge let down on the outgoing model, which dropped off after 60. And the price is truly at historical lows once you factory in the insane inflation we had over the past few years. Let's not forget that you get a much quieter interior, ambient lighting, back row screen and ventilated seats that the OG M3P doesn't come with. And with many buyers qualifying for the $7,500 Federal tax POS credit, it's a solid value and I am personally very happy that I placed my order for one. If there is an OTA that will give us more power, then I would be pleasantly surprised as I am quite happy with the car as it is specced right now.

Tesla would rather you buy a MSP if you truly want more performance with the price of MS now dropping another $2k recently. The M3P will likely already cannibalize sales of the the MS LR at this moment. I see the M3P as a mini-MS LR with a little more pep. I drove the MS LR and the acceleration is definitely nerfed by Tesla and think the M3P will feel way quicker from a dig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joshker
The LG battery version is not adequate for these motors. Enough for the LR dual motor, but even so it voltage sags 20% or so under full power.
considering what happened with the supercharger team, having a bigger battery that what's there now may soon be a necessity.

You guys need to stop dissing the new M3P, I placed an order to replace my 2019 M3P, I'm still unsure, I hate reading arguments telling me I should have waited

considering what happened with the supercharger team, having a bigger battery that what's there now may soon be a necessity.

You guys need to stop dissing the new M3P, I placed an order to replace my 2019 M3P, I'm still unsure, I hate reading arguments telling me I should have waited
I 100% guarantee this thing pulls harder from 60-100 mph than the current car IF the battery is fully optimized.

Maybe they have sandbagged the specs because the new car is so battery dependent. It might be much more capable with a hot battery than with a cold battery and they don’t want people to try it with a cold battery and say “why can’t it hit the numbers you said”.

My hope is that insane mode preps the car for the full potential of the car without needing to do anything else.

Personally I would benefit from people backing out of this car because I have a later delivery date. However, the evidence is there. This car is quicker at every speed than the old car especially if the battery is optimized.

I agree with you! The 2024 M3P is a more well rounded car with a bespoke exterior that makes it stand out vs the original and now finally comes with sport seats, adaptive suspension, forged wheels and a motor/cooling system analagous to that of the MS that will allow it to pull hard to at least 100 MPH, which was a huge let down on the outgoing model, which dropped off after 60. And the price is truly at historical lows once you factory in the insane inflation we had over the past few years. Let's not forget that you get a much quieter interior, ambient lighting, back row screen and ventilated seats that the OG M3P doesn't come with. And with many buyers qualifying for the $7,500 Federal tax POS credit, it's a solid value and I am personally very happy that I placed my order for one. If there is an OTA that will give us more power, then I would be pleasantly surprised as I am quite happy with the car as it is specced right now.

Tesla would rather you buy a MSP if you truly want more performance with the price of MS now dropping another $2k recently. The M3P will likely already cannibalize sales of the the MS LR at this moment. I see the M3P as a mini-MS LR with a little more pep. I drove the MS LR and the acceleration is definitely nerfed by Tesla and think the M3P will feel way quicker from a dig.
1000% agree with it, you nailed it… I test drove the new 3 and it was a completely different experience making my 21 Y and 18 3 feel like old outdated vehicles. The sound system, the quietness of the cabin. I as guy am who started his Tesla journey with an S, this will be one of my favorite cars yet! I can’t wait.

Reactions: dsc888 and Sellout