Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the new Model 3 Performance I wish they offered optional 19’’ Nova Wheels with All-Season Tires. 19" wheels are more comfortable to drive on the street with less risk of rim damage if you hit a pot hole, and I want to be able to drive in freezing winter temperatures without having to swap summer tires.
I’m waiting til December to purchase myself (discounts likely then also) bc I’m expecting 19” wheels to be coming out at some point. They were already leaked in the parts catalog. I would maybe ignore the 20” rims if they came with all season tires as the ride is supposed to be soooo much better you might not notice the 20” rims anymore.

Reactions: Sporty
0-60 MPH in 2.9s is not the same as 0-100 km/hr (62.1 MPH) in 3.1s.
At 2.9s 0-60, you're accelerating by 1 MPH every 0.04833 seconds.
At 3.1s 0-62.1, you're accelerating by 1 MPH every 0.04992 seconds, roughly 3.28% slower, which seems to match up with the LG vs Panasonic battery differences.

Extrapolate that through the entire quarter mile: If the Panasonic-equipped car traps 125* MPH, the LG-equipped car would trap 120.9 MPH. (125 x 0.9672 = 120.9)

* I have no proof of a 125 MPH trap speed, just used that number as an example. And I know the acceleration isn't linear, but the numbers do illustrate what a 3.28% difference can make when all other things are equal.
In UK they advertise the 0-60 which is still 2.9. You're probably seeing rounding differences with your calculations.

Rear drive unit?
Maybe, but I’m ignoring all driving habits in this discussion, e.g. you smash the accelerator more in P vs a LR and therefore use more battery. That’s a user variable not a car variable. So even if the rear motor is more powerful, it would only “lose range” by user input not standing alone on its face. Unless of course it always is drawing more power, but Tesla usually allows cars to be efficient unless the user requests otherwise in their inputs (smashing the pedal).

I could be wrong but I imagine both are just running off the more efficient rear motor (vs induction front motor) most of the time. I’m sure the M3P is less efficient by technical standards, but not 50+ miles less efficient.

In fact the miles delta between the LR and the P is almost the same amount of miles it was in prior generations. And the prior generations basically had the same everything other than different wheels (same Panasonic 82 kWh battery pack).

In UK they advertise the 0-60 which is still 2.9. You're probably seeing rounding differences with your calculations.
It is quite possible that is the case and that 2.9 is rounded down from 2.94 but 3.1 is rounded up from 3.05, making the disparity seem larger.

But assuming an exact 2.90000 seconds for 0-60, 2.9 divided by 60 then multiplied by 6.21 gives 3.0015 which I would think would be advertised as 3.0 rather than 3.1.

Cars drive on asphalt, not paper or calculators, so Dragy and/or timeslips will show the true difference between Panasonic and LG pack equipped cars. Unfortunately, there's another set of variables that Dragy doesn't record: state of charge and battery temperatures. There will always be some mud in the water.

There's a reason they're being silent about the new M3P's quarter-mile times and it has to be one of two things. Either the M3P is too good for roughly half the price of a Model S Plaid and would cannibalize its sales even more, or it's an underwhelming, mid 11-sec range.
I realize the M3 is a smaller lighter car however with twice the horsepower in the Plaid, I do not see it coming even close to Plaid numbers. 510hp vs 1020hp is huge. Will likely be a little faster from 0-60 in comparison to the MS LR but the MS will still take it in the long run with around 170hp more on tap.

Reactions: Sporty
I realize the M3 is a smaller lighter car however with twice the horsepower in the Plaid, I do not see it coming even close to Plaid numbers. 510hp vs 1020hp is huge. Will likely be a little faster from 0-60 in comparison to the MS LR but the MS will still take it in the long run with around 170hp more on tap.
And the reality is Tesla seems to be deliberately limiting the MSLR down low. It would probably be capable of mid 2s, but they probably wanted to keep some distance from the Plaid.

This is a power curve I generated for an MXLR. The front motor, which should theoretically be just as capable as the rear) is limited a fair bit. Not hitting the 670hp until well above 60 mph.

1713963983461.png

Even normalizing for RPM, that front motor is being gimped a fair bit

1713964089289.png

model 3 on the other hand seems to be running both motors at max. And the front is still induction. So the power will still taper considerably.

If the prev performance averages 11.5s 1/4 mile run, then my WAG for the new model would be between 10.5-11s depending on the >60mph throughput. I would hope they have been able to get it <= 11, at least. Seems we can assume that 11.3s would be the worst case based solely on the 0.2s difference off the line.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Any insight on why the M3P is only available with summer tires but if you click on “learn more” it shows all three options. It wouldn’t make sense to ship a car with summer tires to the North East region.
It definitely doesn’t make sense, but they’ve been doing it for the MS Plaid for awhile now. Pretty annoying IMO. I’m in SC and can’t run summer tires year end. Per my Googling it is extremely dangerous under 40F and shouldn’t be done at all.

Reactions: JKennedy442
It definitely doesn’t make sense, but they’ve been doing it for the MS Plaid for awhile now. Pretty annoying IMO. I’m in SC and can’t run summer tires year end. Per my Googling it is extremely dangerous under 40F and shouldn’t be done at all.
Yep. I was annoyed to see summer only as well. I budgeted for no tax incentive so I don't mind getting a 2nd set of wheels with winter tires. It's probably for the better since I can go down to 19s to slightly help offset the efficiency loss of winter.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Not if you have earlier year MS. The 21-23 are still good to 149
Obviously. The thing is that OEM's don't generally seem to market their new cars against the used-market examples of their own pricier options...

I mean, I thought it was rather obvious that the discussion I was responding to was around the idea that Tesla themselves are the reason we don't have 1/4mi ET and trap speed in any of the videos:
1713971708239.png

Last week I got into a pretty bad accident in my 23' M3P. Insurance is chalking it up as a total loss and still waiting for the settlement. In the meantime, I placed my order, stealth grey with a white interior! I hope May-June is realistic because I will have to get a rental until delivery. I don't want to have to get a RWD if the date keeps getting pushed back. There are plenty of RWD models in inventory.

Last week I got into a pretty bad accident in my 23' M3P. Insurance is chalking it up as a total loss and still waiting for the settlement. In the meantime, I placed my order, stealth grey with a white interior! I hope May-June is realistic because I will have to get a rental until delivery. I don't want to have to get a RWD if the date keeps getting pushed back. There are plenty of RWD models in inventory.
I'm always interested in how accidents happen. Do you mind giving some detail?

Reactions: juliusb