Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 Model 3 does not see variable speedlimit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car completely ignores all electronic variable speed limit signs that are commonly used here in Victoria, Australia. My car has software version 2021.36.5.6

On the Westgate bridge in Melbourne it defaults to a limit of 100km/hr. There has never been a limit of 100 on this bridge. Its 80 or less as indicated by the variable signs.

Do other people have this problem.

Cheers
Geoff

It may be that it may not yet recognise that type of sign, or be that vision based speed sign recognition is only for 'local roads'. What the definition of 'local road' is anyone's guess, but here in UK, vision based speed sign recognition appears not to be active on any road that can be used for navigate on autopilot.

Upvote 0
My car completely ignores all electronic variable speed limit signs that are commonly used here in Victoria, Australia. My car has software version 2021.36.5.6

On the Westgate bridge in Melbourne it defaults to a limit of 100km/hr. There has never been a limit of 100 on this bridge. Its 80 or less as indicated by the variable signs.

Cheers
Geoff
Here in the US, on I-76 near Philadelphia, it is inconsistent. It picks up som speeds (55, 50, 45) but not others (40, 35). I wonder if the lower speeds are so out of line with the mapped speeds that it chooses to ignore them.

Upvote 0

Cheers
Geoff

What does the speed limit show on TomTom ?

Also, can you post how the speed limit looks like - not sure whether they recognize Australian speed limit signs yet.

Upvote 0
Drive manually?
Use the thumbwheel to stay in sync with the current speed?
Take a different route?
The thumb wheel unfortunately only seems to be operative while in autopilot. So if you’re sitting on 80km as per variable electronic speed limit sign (all the way from Melbourne airport to the CBD) and beloved Tesla (favourite car of all time) thinks the speed limit is 100km, it will accelerate as soon as you tap into autopilot. Risk getting a ticket accelerating past 80km while quickly scrolling the thumbwheel back to 80km.

Upvote 0
The thumb wheel unfortunately only seems to be operative while in autopilot. So if you’re sitting on 80km as per variable electronic speed limit sign (all the way from Melbourne airport to the CBD) and beloved Tesla (favourite car of all time) thinks the speed limit is 100km, it will accelerate as soon as you tap into autopilot. Risk getting a ticket accelerating past 80km while quickly scrolling the thumbwheel back to 80km.
4365D9D3-CBB3-4C10-8190-651FD41D571B.jpeg

Upvote 0
You can touch your current speed in the speedometer, which will set your max speed to that number when you engage AP.

You can also go into Settings - Autopilot - Speed Settings. You can set the speed when AP is engaged to "Speed Limit" or "Current Speed". The default is Speed Limit - change that to Current Speed, so AP will engage at whatever speed you're at.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi All - travelling on freeway where there are ahead electronic (LED) variable speed signs, my M3 doesn't recognise them and sticks to the default 100kph. It's a pain. Any suggestions? Thanks
Yes. It seems our Aussie signs are not always recognised. I will also see "40 Ahead" interpreted as 40 now. Seems a tough problem to correctly interpret all the variations globally.

Upvote 0
My 2017MS/MCU1/FSD acknowledges about 10% of the variable signs on I25. And then once it does it holds that speed for a mile and then switches back to mapped speeds. Useless.
The current algorithm uses a combination of stored map data and visual data. From what I can tell, the map database stores information on a segment of road. The car will override that based on seeing a sign with a different speed limit but then when it enters the next segment on the map it reverts to the map data.

The problem is deciding which value to use. Nominally, once a speed limit is posted, it doesn’t change until a new limit is posted, but how does the car (or the driver) know it hasn’t missed a sign with a new limit? I’ve had that happen on a regular basis when I’m driving next to a truck. Right now the algorithm seems to give preference to the map over the visual data.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Upvote 0
The current algorithm uses a combination of stored map data and visual data. From what I can tell, the map database stores information on a segment of road. The car will override that based on seeing a sign with a different speed limit but then when it enters the next segment on the map it reverts to the map data.

The problem is deciding which value to use. Nominally, once a speed limit is posted, it doesn’t change until a new limit is posted, but how does the car (or the driver) know it hasn’t missed a sign with a new limit? I’ve had that happen on a regular basis when I’m driving next to a truck. Right now the algorithm seems to give preference to the map over the visual data.
I agree. So why use visual data at all if all it's going to do is override it. And then ignore over half the speed limit signs all together...

Let me decide when to increase and decrease the speed in the car. I hate when I'm on I-25 (75mph), and it decides the speed limit is 45mph and then uses brakes to get down to that speed. It hasn't been 45mph for over a year! And why is it storing construction speed limit data?

Upvote 0
I agree. So why use visual data at all if all it's going to do is override it. And then ignore over half the speed limit signs all together...

Let me decide when to increase and decrease the speed in the car. I hate when I'm on I-25 (75mph), and it decides the speed limit is 45mph and then uses brakes to get down to that speed. It hasn't been 45mph for over a year! And why is it storing construction speed limit data?
Use the scroll wheel

Upvote 0