Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, sorry this is going slightly off topic but anyway. I am from Europe, I know what is considered a 'small' car here. I never referred to the Golf as small. In the UK the smallest wheels you can get on the A8 are 18", my apologies as I checked the German site and yes you can get 17". I am willing to bet that almost zero A8s are ordered with those wheels, even for use as winter wheels I suspect the demand is low. I realise that the larger wheels are optional, as are the 21" on the Model S. You can get up to 21" wheels on an A8 as well.

And as an aside I am yet to have seen a current model A8 with less than the 19" wheels.

I do not disagree that 21" tyres are expensive and off putting to many people, especially in Europe, although I think it's slightly dramatic to say 19" tyres are hard to come by. My father for example drives a car comparable to size of the Model S (I am trying to sell him on a Model S next time around :wink:) with 20" wheels and has no problems getting them replaced at our local garage (not a big place).

Ultimately I don't think people will be put off by the Model S because they are forced into 19" wheels minimum. At all. It's perfectly normal in a car that size, and as I said before, the Gen III is likely to be more popular in Europe, and that won't be be 19/21, 17/19 would make more sense, and comparing with a 3-series/A4 (and Passat..) those cars will have those kind of wheels, A4 starting at 17" for example (up to 20" (!) on a "performance" model).

Charlie -

Interesting to see that Audi UK starts the A8 with bigger wheels than in car-crazy Germany :smile:
By the way, you would be surprised how many people here go for the standard wheels, even on cars like an A8, 7-series et al.

And about availability, I tried to test-order 19 inch tires on three major German online tire retailer sites. Once I got two results, twice I got three. When I look for 17 inch tires, I get almost 30 results! Plus with 19 inch tires often came the remark "longer delivery span". And when I searched for the P85 standard 21's, I didn't get any results, not even summer tires in that dimension.

All I am saying is, I think it would have been a wiser decision to offer the S with 17 maybe 18 inch wheels as standard, with optional wheels up to 20 or, if you will, 21 inch. When the S specs first came out I was quite amazed to see that 19 / 21 inch wheels came as standard, on a car that is supposed to be extra eco-friendly and as such is normally optimized to maximize range. Our Touran BlueMotion for example has (16 inch) special tires with smaller width and especially low rolling resistance to minimize fuel consumption. We wouldn't dream of ruining our car's great MPG rating by putting on like 18 inch (or bigger) wheels. Not that they would look very good on a minivan anyway :wink:

Interesting to see that Audi UK starts the A8 with bigger wheels than in car-crazy Germany :smile:
By the way, you would be surprised how many people here go for the standard wheels, even on cars like an A8, 7-series et al.

And about availability, I tried to test-order 19 inch tires on three major German online tire retailer sites. Once I got two results, twice I got three. When I look for 17 inch tires, I get almost 30 results! Plus with 19 inch tires often came the remark "longer delivery span". And when I searched for the P85 standard 21's, I didn't get any results, not even summer tires in that dimension.

All I am saying is, I think it would have been a wiser decision to offer the S with 17 maybe 18 inch wheels as standard, with optional wheels up to 20 or, if you will, 21 inch. When the S specs first came out I was quite amazed to see that 19 / 21 inch wheels came as standard, on a car that is supposed to be extra eco-friendly and as such is normally optimized to maximize range. Our Touran BlueMotion for example has (16 inch) special tires with smaller width and especially low rolling resistance to minimize fuel consumption. We wouldn't dream of ruining our car's great MPG rating by putting on like 18 inch (or bigger) wheels. Not that they would look very good on a minivan anyway :wink:

I think ultimately the Model S was designed to be an "all round" car, not specifically an "eco-friendly" option, hence why it has massive brakes, and optional performance tyres, as that way it can compete with more of a range of cars than if it were just offered with super light weight wheels with LRR tyres that would be devastated by the power. We can go back to the whole "Model S is meant to be the best car" thing from way back when, rather than the best electric car. If they want to have acceleration comparable to high performance cars, they cannot put the same kind of wheels and tyres that would be used on a car designed specifically for the least fuel or energy consumption.

I had a quick look on a UK tyre site, there are two 21" options (both Pirellis) available for delivery tomorrow, and when I look at the 19" Model S dimensions I am shown 23 results (including two winter options). Obviously the smaller you go the more options there will be.

I agree with you that a smaller wheel option would be nice, I am not sure what the limits are with the size of the brakes but that could be an issue. I think also with Tesla being a new company, they have to consolidate with the wheels, they can't offer 10 different choices like the existing car manufacturers, although I am sure they can and will in the future. :)

Charlie -

In a city like Rome, where the roads are full of holes, it would be dangerous to use 21 or 22 inches wheels.

Lived in Gaeta in the mid 1980's and loved it!

Here in Florida, the roads are mostly smooth, but we have sink holes develop that swallow entire cars!!! Just last week one developed that was below a house, and a man sleeping was lost down it ----this is not a joke!!!

update-- took the car back because the front wheels were hitting wheel wells-- as it turns out Michelin tires sit 1 inch higher than Pirellis-- Elie from Al and Ed's was kind enough to change all the tires to Pirellis--- now the tires don't' rub agains the wells! ride is great and the look is even better. I'm SO STOKED!

Could somebody who runs 22s on a daily basis become active again in this thread? DrTaras, do you still run your 22s?

Any issues running the larger wheel size over time? Did you set your wheel size in the software to 21"? Or did you take it to a service center and have them do something special for the 22" size?

I don't have 22" rims but ran on 21" for a year. All the issues with curb rash, limited tire selection and tread life will likely be worse on the 22" than 21" rims. The Tesla 21" turbine rims looks nice and Tesla will mount tires and service them.

22" would look pretty sitting in your garage. But for all practical purposes you can't really drive those "in real life". Unless your "real life" involves driving down to your mailbox and back, and even then it's chancing it. The 21s are bad enough blowing out on the smallest of potholes. With 22's, you could probably just have a staring contest at them and blow them out.

Hussain, I agree they look great but they're too expensive IMO. I know you're very anti 22s yobigd ;)

Still hoping someone who actually runs 22s on a daily basis will chime in. I know there are a few out there.

Had you thought about aftermarket 20" rims? They still fill out wheel and have a lot more tire options.

Had you thought about aftermarket 20" rims? They still fill out wheel and have a lot more tire options.

I would definitely consider it. I just have a decent option of picking up someone's used 22" rims. So I'm trying to get feedback specifically on 22" rims on the Model S. I've seen several users with pictures of them, but these users seem to be inactive these days.

I'm trying to get feedback specifically on 22" rims on the Model S. I've seen several users with pictures of them, but these users seem to be inactive these days.

I bet that's because not only did they blow out their 22s, they also probably broke all 4 of their axles simultaneously sending the wheels flying off in search of fantasy land and left the Model S street luging on the battery pack shield down the highway and then they had to claim total loss and sell their Model S thus these forums are no longer relevant to them. Well, that's my theory anyhow.

I would definitely consider it. I just have a decent option of picking up someone's used 22" rims. So I'm trying to get feedback specifically on 22" rims on the Model S. I've seen several users with pictures of them, but these users seem to be inactive these days.

There is a guy who comes to our local Tesla club meetings with 22's on his car. I believe his name is Robert, I don't think he is on these forums though.

I've had 22's on my model S for ~1 year. The ride quality definitely degrades. Unfortunately most tire manufacturer tires will cause mild rubbing in reverse at full turn. However, I haven't had any deformed or cracked wheels. I just recently checked them and they are balanced and true after a year of use. I got mine from A-E.

I've had 22's on my model S for ~1 year. The ride quality definitely degrades. Unfortunately most tire manufacturer tires will cause mild rubbing in reverse at full turn. However, I haven't had any deformed or cracked wheels. I just recently checked them and they are balanced and true after a year of use. I got mine from A-E.

The rubbing is probably due to increased width. What size are your 22s? 245/30/22 or 255/30/22?