Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22MYP Suspension Upgrade third party or new 23 comfort suspension?

Which would increase the ride quality the most

• 23 OEM Upgrade

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Mountain Pass

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Unplugged

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ohlins

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other third party

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, do you have the part numbers or service ticket I can look at please?
Here you go. Bought and installed a couple of weeks ago on my 2020. It took about ten days for the parts to come in. No issues at all, they were happy to order them.

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: jetsurgn
I've driven just about every suspension kit on the market (OEM and aftermarket) and still feel the MY23 suspension is lacking. Then again, I'm coming from both a ride and performance mindset when looking at improving both comfort and handling. That being said, there's is very little to be gained by installing MY23 components on a 20-22 Model Y when we have clearly much better suspension systems to choose from:
  • Mountain Pass Performance
  • Ohlins R&T
  • Redwood Ohlins DFV
  • KW Suspensions V3
  • ST Suspensions
On a Model Y Performance, stepping down from the 21" UberTurbines to 20" with a beefier sidewall coupled with a quality coilover really wakes up and makes the Model YP fun to drive. For those on a budget, the STs are probably the best entry-level coilovers at this time.

I've driven just about every suspension kit on the market (OEM and aftermarket) and still feel the MY23 suspension is lacking. Then again, I'm coming from both a ride and performance mindset when looking at improving both comfort and handling. That being said, there's is very little to be gained by installing MY23 components on a 20-22 Model Y when we have clearly much better suspension systems to choose from:
  • Mountain Pass Performance
  • Ohlins R&T
  • Redwood Ohlins DFV
  • KW Suspensions V3
  • ST Suspensions
On a Model Y Performance, stepping down from the 21" UberTurbines to 20" with a beefier sidewall coupled with a quality coilover really wakes up and makes the Model YP fun to drive. For those on a budget, the STs are probably the best entry-level coilovers at this time.

I agree but I’ve never tried anything besides my 22MYP stock, and now my 22 MYP with 23 suspension retrofit. For under $1200 total, its a no brained and doesn’t affect your warranty (to the best of my knowledge) even with 21” uberturbines (38.5PSI all around) and stock Michelin all season tires the ride is much much better than a pre23 MYP.

I also have 19” winter setup and I’m sure it will ride even better come winter time. But my point is for the money and value, just retrofit. If money is no object then probably Ohlins 17” - 18” wheels with a big sidewall @ 38-40PSI I’m sure it will drive like butter

For those people that did their own install were there any special tools or bits needed? I was watching a video from Tsportline with the lift kit and they mentioned a torx bit but didnt say what size it was. I will probably pick up a torx set from harbor freight but wondering if theres anything else needed besides the regular stuff? I have a full socket set, two jacks, trim removal tool. Im doing the 23 comfort suspension including the rear springs. Its just so damn hot every day, I will need to start early and use a few fans.

There might be one torx-headed bolt. Yes I’d say grab a set as they’re cheap and handy anyway. Otherwise you should be good with what you have. Two jacks definitely handy.

You can watch any suspension video to see the process but it’s pretty straightforward. I think I watched Ohlins or something - they explain it well but note you don’t have to worry about the spring compression stuff because the Tesla front unit is preassembled. All very easy really, looking forward to hearing how you get on @bpobill. What year is your car?

Reactions: bpobill
Aside from sockets and wrenches, the only more specialized tool would be a T50 torx. Although not required, you can get (or make) a small OD 13mm socket for the front shock mounting nuts. With the reduced OD socket, you can remove the shock/spring assembly without having to remove the control arm carrier - big time saver. If you dont need to remove the springs off the front shock, then that's it. Obviously if you do need to remove them, you need a spring compressor.

Lastly, I'd recommend jacking up both sides up in the air before working on one side. Otherwise you'll be fighting the sway bar tension trying to remove the end link.

Reactions: GOVA and bpobill
There might be one torx-headed bolt. Yes I’d say grab a set as they’re cheap and handy anyway. Otherwise you should be good with what you have. Two jacks definitely handy.

You can watch any suspension video to see the process but it’s pretty straightforward. I think I watched Ohlins or something - they explain it well but note you don’t have to worry about the spring compression stuff because the Tesla front unit is preassembled. All very easy really, looking forward to hearing how you get on @bpobill. What year is your car?

2022 MYP.

Aside from sockets and wrenches, the only more specialized tool would be a T50 torx. Although not required, you can get (or make) a small OD 13mm socket for the front shock mounting nuts. With the reduced OD socket, you can remove the shock/spring assembly without having to remove the control arm carrier - big time saver. If you dont need to remove the springs off the front shock, then that's it. Obviously if you do need to remove them, you need a spring compressor.

Lastly, I'd recommend jacking up both sides up in the air before working on one side. Otherwise you'll be fighting the sway bar tension trying to remove the end link.
Was it for the top of the strut? According to this video the opening on the Y is larger so you don't need the small OD socket like the 3.
The link should take you to the correct time.

Was the control arm carrier so you can move the shock and get the bolts to line up with the holes better? Im reading a post on the 3 and people were having this issue.

That video is correct! I never thought to check since I already had the socket. I just measured the Y's strut nut access hole at 22mm diameter. The ebay socket is 17mm OD, and I my standard deep socket is 19mm OD. So indeed, you don't need the special socket for the Y. But the ebay socket does have a magnet in it, which still makes it slightly easier. If you don't plan on tinkering, save the $30.

Not sure what you are asking in the 2nd question about the carrier. Best to not bother even removing it. If you're replacing the upper control arm, then carrier needs to come out. But you can do springs/shocks without having to remove the carrier at all. If you have to swap springs, alignment of the top hat with the strut is critical, if you get it wrong, the top hat will not line up, and you'll have to re-clock it by recompressing the springs to rotate the top hat into the right spot.

Reactions: bpobill
Alright I did the full install today. Took about 4-5 hours with jacks. With a lift I could knock it out in under two hours now.

I used this guide to help with parts needed

You need a t50 socket bit and a deep 21mm socket. If you have a full set you should be good but most wont have a deep 21mm. Go buy one.
You need two jacks. One to lift the car, and one to lift the rear "control arm?" the thing that holds the spring. You need to move it up and down to put the bolts through. I used both jacks to lift the entire front end up to help relive tension on the sway bar.
Any 13mm will fit the shock tower. Doesnt need to be a deep one either.
I didnt need a breaker bar but having an adjustable 1/2 one was nice for a couple bolts
You also need a pry bar for the sway bar end links.
I love Tesla cars because they are so easy to take apart. This install was easy. If you can follow along with a couple different videos on youtube you will be fine.

I just drove for a few miles and it seems better. Tomorrow I have a lot of driving so I will get full thoughts then. The few manhole covers I hit were not felt nearly as much.

I also installed bigger tires on my MYP with bigger side walls thats been talked about around here. That was a big difference too.

I will let everyone know if I think this is worth the $900 or so plus alignment costs.

This video was helpful at times.

I had a lot of seat time today. Over 150 miles over all sorts of roads.

Almost all harshness is gone. You still feel imperfections in the road no doubt but its not as jarring. Comparing to a bmw 3 series is probably accurate. Audi q5 as well. I had an sq5 before and drove a q5 a bit too.

Undulations in the road which causes head toss is still there. Not as strong as before but this is a stiff vehicle and you feel it. The model x handles those much better.

Smooth roads the car just lofts around. This is probably the most noticeable thing. Its just smoother which is nice. We have nice roads in NC with some problem areas so im noticing this much more.

Going from the stock tires to wider and taller was a massive difference. I did that about 3-4 weeks ago and honestly I thought about cancelling my suspension order. I took delivery anyway and since you cant return OTC parts I installed them. After doing the tires I dont feel a massive difference others have described. The tires played a huge difference in comfort over the stock ones. Honestly I could have saved $900 which would have been better, but I am glad they are installed now. I really wanted an X to get a better riding vehicle but the Y is now nice enough I dont care anymore.

personally I would do this suspension work before spending way more money on aftermarket options. I havent driven those but I dont see it being worth the money.

@bpobill what tires did you change to? 20" wheels?

I did continental dws06 but same size on stock 21's.

Update:

Just left the mechanic about an hour and a half ago. I am very happy to say that this upgrade is some of the best money I have ever spent. The 2023 comfort suspension upgrade is more than worth it. For a total of $1,382.98, this is a freakin no brainer. Glad that I took this route the second I had the chance to do so.

Differences:
This small upgrade took the car from (in my opinion) from a less than average comfortable ride, to above average. I'd say my car went from feeling like a 2014 civic over potholes and road imperfections, to feeling like a 2022 3 series bimmer. Every f$#$ing time I would go over a bump.. the rattle, the noise, the uncomfort just pissed me off, this upgrade completely took it away. This is the way an MYP should drive.

Here's what I have noticed in my "whole" hour and a half of driving my car back from the mechanic to work. I also went over every pothole, every manhole cap, every road imperfection and the new 23 comfort suspension handles them exactly how I'd like.
- that thump, metalicy squeaky noise, that you get when you go over a pothole, gone. Replaced by a deeper, more quality sounding noise. I don't know how to explain it but the noise is night and day. I used to have random little squeaks and bs. This car also drives much better than the 2022 standard MY I test drove before I bought my 22 MYP.
- rattle, my car used to rattle if I go over most little small imperfections, it's pretty much gone. You go over a bump, and now the car just takes it and goes about that day. I also have a whole set of tennis racquets, my gym bag, random tools, all sorts of stuff that used to make a lot of noise in the trunk, that settled down a whole lot. Very noticable
- comfort, I'd say the ride is about a 50% improvement, so pretty much night and day.
-performance, I couldn't feel any negatives, the car drives much better. On my way to work there is a highway with all sorts of bumps and imperfections, the on ramp is curved and extremely bumpy. I felt much more comfortable and confident driving on it.

I'll update this thread when I get some more insight. As of right now this is a no brainer, if you have a 22MY and under I'd say this is a requirement lol. The car rides WAY BETTER. I would go as far as to say it's a night and day difference. I don't know who the hell online is saying it's not a big difference or it's not worth it.

PS: About the springs.. I forgot to mention you do not need to purchase springs if upgrading from a 22MYP. The mechanic installed them anyways, but he said they were identical. So that would have brought my total cost down to around $1,100.
I have the 22 MYP still with the 21” Uber and seriously considering the suspension change. While I want to switch out the wheels/tires but holding on that. If I understand your post correctly you are upgrading as well a 22 MYP with the 23 MYP comfort plus suspension?

What other recommendations do you have now that you have had it for awhile?

I have the 22 MYP still with the 21” Uber and seriously considering the suspension change. While I want to switch out the wheels/tires but holding on that. If I understand your post correctly you are upgrading as well a 22 MYP with the 23 MYP comfort plus suspension?

What other recommendations do you have now that you have had it for awhile?
Correct, I upgraded my 22MYP suspension to 23MYP suspension, not the 23MYLR suspension. This gave me about a 25-35% increase in comfort for less than the cost of a new set of tires, I highly recommend everyone do this with a pre 23MYP.

The MYP suspension is MUCH stiffer, and in turn much less comfortable than ANY model year non performance model MY.

Correct, I upgraded my 22MYP suspension to 23MYP suspension, not the 23MYLR suspension. This gave me about a 25-35% increase in comfort for less than the cost of a new set of tires, I highly recommend everyone do this with a pre 23MYP.

The MYP suspension is MUCH stiffer, and in turn much less comfortable than ANY model year non performance model MY.
Thank you for the input. Have you compared your retrofitted MYP to a new one? Similar?

Yes it’s pretty much the same ride quality as a 23MYP, and I have been in a 23MYLR and I have to say it definitely rides better, they are so smooth.. especially over bumps. Glad Elon listened to all of the complaints. Also my good friend bought a 22 M3P and it does ride better than my MYP with the retrofit, just to give you some perspective. Well worth the upgrade I wouldn’t even think about it, it’s so cheap to do.