Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22MYP Suspension Upgrade third party or new 23 comfort suspension?

Which would increase the ride quality the most

• 23 OEM Upgrade

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Mountain Pass

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Unplugged

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ohlins

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other third party

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone retrofitted a MYP with the new MYLR 2023 suspension? Or is the 2023 MYP suspension required?
All you would really need is the springs from the long range.
Most if not all of the harshness is from constantly riding on the bump stops. The bump stops are 60mm long on the rear shocks. When you hit a bump they store a ton of energy and release it in a very short stroke. You feel this hit and then it overwhelms the rebound of the shock, bouncing the car back up.
In corners you can feel the outside wheel compresses into the bump stops and then over rebound forcing the inside wheel into the stops. The back end will do a couple wobbles side to side.
If you want to stay at performance ride height you need at least a 9-10kg rear spring and then you can shorten the factory bump stops to 40mm or run aftermarket 30mm ones.

The fix's:
More suspension travel.
Smaller wheels with bigger sidewalls.
Stiffer springs.
Better dampers.

All you would really need is the springs from the long range.
Most if not all of the harshness is from constantly riding on the bump stops. The bump stops are 60mm long on the rear shocks. When you hit a bump they store a ton of energy and release it in a very short stroke. You feel this hit and then it overwhelms the rebound of the shock, bouncing the car back up.
In corners you can feel the outside wheel compresses into the bump stops and then over rebound forcing the inside wheel into the stops. The back end will do a couple wobbles side to side.
If you want to stay at performance ride height you need at least a 9-10kg rear spring and then you can shorten the factory bump stops to 40mm or run aftermarket 30mm ones.

The fix's:
More suspension travel.
Smaller wheels with bigger sidewalls.
Stiffer springs.
Better dampers.
Very good insight thank you. I might just swap my springs out for the MYLR 23 springs as an experiment.

I just picked up a set of Ohlins street/performance coilovers to deal for our 23 MYP (Dec 22 purchase). We are so tired of the harsh ride. I’ll have them installed early April. I’m hoping for a drastic improvement but we will see.
Be careful as the springs coil bind with basically zero preload and height adjust is by damper length in the front which trades compression travel for droop. In the rear you have to run it at the lowest spring purch and even then you can run out of spring travel. Did you get the new 8/9k springs or the older shorter ones?

You will need an alignment too. 👍
So to retrofit from my 23MYP to 23MYLR suspension, I'm just gonna experiment and report back. So I'm gonna get four springs, one for each wheel then get an alignment. Any other suggestions before I order the parts, thanks again for all of the insight Sweed. Just looking for the smoothest possible ride, I'm already on 19" rims with winter tires for another month or so, then I'll swap wheels again.

Last edited:
Springs should be all you need. The "tune" on your stock shocks should be in the ballpark for the LR springs. There are a bunch of revs on the tune, but it's a secondary issue and mostly small changes.

One of the issues with the stock suspension is that the natural frequency of the springs appears to be higher in the front. It should be higher in the back to give a flat ride. IE the front hits a bump and then the rear has a faster cycle to catch up to the front. With a stiffer rear you get an up and down motion vs rocking forward and back.

Without going to coilovers and a matched set of springs like the redwood 6/9kg grand touring you cant really fix this. Eibach lowering springs have this ratio too, but lower the car causing problems with the bump stops. Plus the higher spring rates need more aggressive dampers.

My stock MYP rear springs sag 7mm lower than the stated pack clearance and the fronts are 3mm up. I do have a 50lb sub in the back.
I'm getting the Ohlins R/T revalved to a much lower rate and trying longer swift 7/11kg springs to keep stock performance ride height. Plus they have coil stroke to adjust them -5/+10mm Still a work in progress.

Reactions: nencmeister
Be careful as the springs coil bind with basically zero preload and height adjust is by damper length in the front which trades compression travel for droop. In the rear you have to run it at the lowest spring purch and even then you can run out of spring travel. Did you get the new 8/9k springs or the older shorter ones?
I have no idea if they are the older or newer springs. I receive the set later this week. How can I tell? And, are you recommending not to lower car with this set?

I just picked up a set of Ohlins street/performance coilovers to deal for our 23 MYP (Dec 22 purchase). We are so tired of the harsh ride. I’ll have them installed early April. I’m hoping for a drastic improvement but we will see.
Where will you have the coilovers installed? (I'm near St Paul as well) I'm toying with the idea of installing aftermarket suspension since my car is out of warranty now. I'm fine with the ride but I'm not opposed to improving it. If there are good shops locally to do installation and it won't prevent Tesla from doing work on my car, I'd seriously consider it.

Where will you have the coilovers installed? (I'm near St Paul as well) I'm toying with the idea of installing aftermarket suspension since my car is out of warranty now. I'm fine with the ride but I'm not opposed to improving it. If there are good shops locally to do installation and it won't prevent Tesla from doing work on my car, I'd seriously consider it.
The guys I bought the kit from are helping me find a shop. Not sure which shop yet. Yeah, my car is only 1 year old, so I am worried about warranty issues regarding the motors, mostly, after coilovers go on. I’ve already had the rear motor replaced under warranty. I can let you know which shop and how install goes.

Reactions: gx9901
The guys I bought the kit from are helping me find a shop. Not sure which shop yet. Yeah, my car is only 1 year old, so I am worried about warranty issues regarding the motors, mostly, after coilovers go on. I’ve already had the rear motor replaced under warranty. I can let you know which shop and how install goes.
Cool, please do post here about your experience and the shop once you have it installed.

I will probably get my brakes cleaned/lubed at Tesla SC soon and I plan on asking them about if having aftermarket suspension components would prevent them from working on my car.

Wanted to follow up and let folks know the Ohlins comfort coil overs are excellent, and ride, comfort are much improved over stock. Feels like a different car. I think NVH is better as well. The Ohlins are on the expensive side, but I think worth it.
I was actually thinking about upgrading to the Ohlins from the MYP23 comfort suspension as well. I would pay 3k for a much better ride, I just wish I can test it before I actually install it. It would be my second suspension upgrade in a year lol

Wanted to follow up and let folks know the Ohlins comfort coil overs are excellent, and ride, comfort are much improved over stock. Feels like a different car. I think NVH is better as well. The Ohlins are on the expensive side, but I think worth it.
Which shop did you end up using to install your Ohlins? I decided to get the MPP comfort adjustable coil overs a few weeks ago and ended up using Eurotech to do the install. I have it at almost the softest setting to start and the ride does seem improved, taking the edge off of vibrations from bumpy roads. I think it now feels similar to my mom's BMW iX (no air suspension), but I haven't driven them back to back to know for sure. I believe mine is installed at the MPP specified default ride height and it looks noticeably lower than stock.

Reactions: Pianewman