Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you seen the list? Tell me how it improved the car on user stand point? Nothing is a noticeable changes. Nothing. Single press was to speed up production and cut cost. Matrix headlights??? Can’t tell the difference between my friends older model to my 2023. Then claim it’s only performance y.

It’s just annual model feature changes. Every manufacturer does it. Is he claiming the list was done over a year? Or since first introduction of model y (first year model)? Please just stop. Some on that list are just fixes
yes, have you?
I'll give a token example - heated steering wheel. that does nothing *but* improve the user experience in cold weather.

Reactions: WyoDude and jcanoe
Having had 3 model 3s and one Y, I can say the Y is much worse - stiff, unyielding, harsh - over any uneven pavement. Smooth roads are fine of course. I don’t think it’s a noble trade off for sport handling. I think the suspension is not tuned well, it should be more progressive but feels like zero impact absorption. I don’t know if new tire's or struts would be more helpful or if it’s a lost cause. It’s still the best car for the money, imo, but with a little more work it could have been so much better. I’d like to say I won’t buy another but my track record says I will.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Having had 3 model 3s and one Y, I can say the Y is much worse - stiff, unyielding, harsh - over any uneven pavement. Smooth roads are fine of course. I don’t think it’s a noble trade off for sport handling. I think the suspension is not tuned well, it should be more progressive but feels like zero impact absorption. I don’t know if new tire's or struts would be more helpful or if it’s a lost cause. It’s still the best car for the money, imo, but with a little more work it could have been so much better. I’d like to say I won’t buy another but my track record says I will.
What year MY do you have? That's my biggest complaint of my MY (took delivery July, 2020 so it was an early model.) In winter here when there's a bit of frost heave in cracks in the asphalt it can make for a miserable ride. I can't drink my coffee for half the drive to work because the ride is so rough that it spills all over the place.

What year MY do you have? That's my biggest complaint of my MY (took delivery July, 2020 so it was an early model.) In winter here when there's a bit of frost heave in cracks in the asphalt it can make for a miserable ride. I can't drink my coffee for half the drive to work because the ride is so rough that it spills all over the place.
Made in 09/ 2023. sry, the year is my sig but that doesn't show on phones.

My Y, with Gemini's, one year old today, and with "Comfort Suspension," has not worn in a bit. The suspension is just as uncomfortable now as it was when new. I've tried 38psi most of the year, and even that doesn't help. Still the worst suspension of the 9 or so cars/vans that I've had.

The rest of the Y experience has been mostly great. The biggest problem has been the frameless window design in the winter. If it had been wet, and then freezing weather suddenly happens, even defrost and heater directed at the side windows doesn't help thaw them. They just don't drop. None of them do. Half hour on defrost and heat? Nope. Only thing that helps is a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol on the lower part of the driver window and then wait 5 minutes for something in the door to thaw (hint: it isn't the window seals that freeze). And even that doesn't always let me open the door without the threat of window damage. It is so frustrating that I just won't drive the Y in those conditions - hence - this isn't a winter car. I just drive my wife's/my old Prius Prime with framed windows on those days.

My Y, with Gemini's, one year old today, and with "Comfort Suspension," has not worn in a bit. The suspension is just as uncomfortable now as it was when new. I've tried 38psi most of the year, and even that doesn't help. Still the worst suspension of the 9 or so cars/vans that I've had.

The rest of the Y experience has been mostly great. The biggest problem has been the frameless window design in the winter. If it had been wet, and then freezing weather suddenly happens, even defrost and heater directed at the side windows doesn't help thaw them. They just don't drop. None of them do. Half hour on defrost and heat? Nope. Only thing that helps is a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol on the lower part of the driver window and then wait 5 minutes for something in the door to thaw (hint: it isn't the window seals that freeze). And even that doesn't always let me open the door without the threat of window damage. It is so frustrating that I just won't drive the Y in those conditions - hence - this isn't a winter car. I just drive my wife's/my old Prius Prime with framed windows on those days.
Try using gummipfledge or 303 rubber seal protectant on the window seals. It helps prevent the freezing in my experience

Grab a credit card, insert it at the bottom of the window between the glass and the window seal and run it along the length of the window. Works for me.

That helps. Never tried that yet. The rubber seals around the window are not the problem. There is a fiber at the top of the door that the windows slide past. That's where the water collects and freezes the windows.

Reactions: tm3lrawd and jcanoe
That helps. Never tried that yet. The rubber seals around the window are not the problem. There is a fiber at the top of the door that the windows slide past. That's where the water collects and freezes the windows.
I believe that one of the updates addressed this issue. Tesla moves windows differently when closing the doors which should prevent the freezing. Also, the rubber treatment helps a lot.

The frameless door rubber seals of the Tesla Model 3, Model Y can be pre-treated with silicone spray or 303 Protectant to help prevent ice from sticking to the rubber seal. Do not use standard WD-40 on the rubber parts as over time WD-40 will damage rubber. There is a flocking material at the top of the door where the window glass descends into the door that when it gets wet, stay wet and freezes in cold weather. That is the root cause of the window sticking, not lowering when frozen.

Use a spray bottle filled with Isopropyl Alcohol to free the glass. Ethanol Alcohol does not work as well as Isopropyl Alcohol to melt ice; do not use windshield washer fluid as the winterized washer fluids typically contain Methanol Alcohol. (Methanol is highly toxic and easily absorbed through the skin.) Some brands of spray de-icing products contain Isopropyl Alcohol. Be careful when applying if using a de-icer spray that contains Methanol. You only need to spray a small amount along the edge of the door/window flocking seal to melt the ice there.

Preconditioning is fine but don't forget there is now a button within the Tesla app to Defrost Vehicle. The Defrost Vehicle button will initiate maximum defrosting of the windshield, rear hatch glass, side mirrors, cameras and will also initiate prewarming warm the cabin interior. (You can move or add the Defrost Vehicle button to the main Tesla app menu if you find you use this function often. (LPT: There is a trick to adding a 5th control to the main screen of the Tesla app.)

How many miles on your car? Mine is 7 months old, but has 18k miles and suspension has softened some since new. At times it feels firm but way better than my previous M3 for sure.

Here's my 2 cents after having driven my new MYP for 3 months. I traded a 07/20 build MYLR with 19" Geminis with a 08/23 build MYP 21" Turbines during the whole free FSD transfer offer. I can unequivocally say that the latest iteration of the comfort suspension is WAYYYY better than the original suspension in every way. For those who have not experienced the early production model Ys, you have no idea how harsh the ride was. I am no stranger to "sporty" ride vehicles but I had to shell out another ~$3k to install MPP coilovers to make everyday drives bearable. I got so much more car this time around with the MYP. The ride is much quieter, more compliant even with the 21" wheels and a lowered ride-height. The all-season tires probably help a lot in this regard. I am really happy with the ride. So much so that I ended up selling my MPP setup to another forum member who has a pre-2022 build MYLR.

Here's my 2 cents after having driven my new MYP for 3 months. I traded a 07/20 build MYLR with 19" Geminis with a 08/23 build MYP 21" Turbines during the whole free FSD transfer offer. I can unequivocally say that the latest iteration of the comfort suspension is WAYYYY better than the original suspension in every way. For those who have not experienced the early production model Ys, you have no idea how harsh the ride was. I am no stranger to "sporty" ride vehicles but I had to shell out another ~$3k to install MPP coilovers to make everyday drives bearable. I got so much more car this time around with the MYP. The ride is much quieter, more compliant even with the 21" wheels and a lowered ride-height. The all-season tires probably help a lot in this regard. I am really happy with the ride. So much so that I ended up selling my MPP setup to another forum member who has a pre-2022 build MYLR.
100% spot on. Anyone “diy upgrading” is not an assessment of the new product. Still love our 2020 MYP but it drives like a brick compared to the new offerings.

Reactions: WyoDude
I know the 2020 models rode harsh according to many people but I have a 01/22 MYLR that is pre-comfort suspension and thought it was pretty stiff. I just test drove a MY today on the newer comfort suspension and honestly couldn’t feel a difference. Maybe a little less harsh on dips in the road but if no one told me there had been a change to the suspension it would never have been noticeable to me.

I wish we had the highland to test its new suspension and geometry. Road noise and ride quality are my biggest gripes with my old 2018 M3LR and 2022 MYLR. I’m looking at all of these end of year inventory discounts and they’re tempting but it would be a shame to miss out on the new upgrades to suspension and noise reduction. Honestly, I could care less about any of the other new features haha

Grab a credit card, insert it at the bottom of the window between the glass and the window seal and run it along the length of the window. Works for me.

Tried this. A credit card is too thick and can't be inserted between the glass and the bottom of the door. A razor blade might go in there, but I won't try that. I did attempt a very thin sharp plastic spatula that was half the thickness of a credit card and that couldn't breach the gap. Here's my thought on why. When Tesla began using the new tempered glass, it was thicker than the old stuff, and the design of the door wasn't changed. There's just less room, and more friction. So, Tesla made an annoying problem worse.