Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22MYP Suspension Upgrade third party or new 23 comfort suspension?

Which would increase the ride quality the most

• 23 OEM Upgrade

Votes: 27 44.3%
  • Mountain Pass

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Unplugged

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ohlins

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other third party

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you just go to the parts department at Tesla SC to order the comfort suspension components? You mentioned that there was "a bit of back and forth" with them. Does that mean you had to convince them to sell the parts to you or was it something else?
So on the phone tesla service flat out refused to order any parts . They advised me to create a ticket, and then again via messaging the service center flat out refused. Then I scheduled a service appt in person, there we went for a test drive and the tech said my car actually drives excellent, so I insisted I still want the parts, finally he agreed after we could both tell we’re not in the mood to banter about it. The techs where I am are really cool though, but you can tell they are a bit jaded from all the picky people like myself lol.

So yeah it’s not like the BMW or Alfa dealership where you just show up and order whatever parts you want.

I also very much appreciate Tesla not making money off of spare parts. I feel the price was very reasonable for a complete retrofit

Update:

Just left the mechanic about an hour and a half ago. I am very happy to say that this upgrade is some of the best money I have ever spent. The 2023 comfort suspension upgrade is more than worth it. For a total of $1,382.98, this is a freakin no brainer. Glad that I took this route the second I had the chance to do so.

Differences:
This small upgrade took the car from (in my opinion) from a less than average comfortable ride, to above average. I'd say my car went from feeling like a 2014 civic over potholes and road imperfections, to feeling like a 2022 3 series bimmer. Every f$#$ing time I would go over a bump.. the rattle, the noise, the uncomfort just pissed me off, this upgrade completely took it away. This is the way an MYP should drive.

Here's what I have noticed in my "whole" hour and a half of driving my car back from the mechanic to work. I also went over every pothole, every manhole cap, every road imperfection and the new 23 comfort suspension handles them exactly how I'd like.
- that thump, metalicy squeaky noise, that you get when you go over a pothole, gone. Replaced by a deeper, more quality sounding noise. I don't know how to explain it but the noise is night and day. I used to have random little squeaks and bs. This car also drives much better than the 2022 standard MY I test drove before I bought my 22 MYP.
- rattle, my car used to rattle if I go over most little small imperfections, it's pretty much gone. You go over a bump, and now the car just takes it and goes about that day. I also have a whole set of tennis racquets, my gym bag, random tools, all sorts of stuff that used to make a lot of noise in the trunk, that settled down a whole lot. Very noticable
- comfort, I'd say the ride is about a 50% improvement, so pretty much night and day.
-performance, I couldn't feel any negatives, the car drives much better. On my way to work there is a highway with all sorts of bumps and imperfections, the on ramp is curved and extremely bumpy. I felt much more comfortable and confident driving on it.

I'll update this thread when I get some more insight. As of right now this is a no brainer, if you have a 22MY and under I'd say this is a requirement lol. The car rides WAY BETTER. I would go as far as to say it's a night and day difference. I don't know who the hell online is saying it's not a big difference or it's not worth it.

PS: About the springs.. I forgot to mention you do not need to purchase springs if upgrading from a 22MYP. The mechanic installed them anyways, but he said they were identical. So that would have brought my total cost down to around $1,100.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 176
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 140
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Update:

Just left the mechanic about an hour and a half ago. I am very happy to say that this upgrade is some of the best money I have ever spent. The 2023 comfort suspension upgrade is more than worth it. For a total of $1,382.98, this is a freakin no brainer. Glad that I took this route the second I had the chance to do so.

Differences:
This small upgrade took the car from (in my opinion) from a less than average comfortable ride, to above average. I'd say my car went from feeling like a 2014 civic over potholes and road imperfections, to feeling like a 2022 3 series bimmer. Every f$#$ing time I would go over a bump.. the rattle, the noise, the uncomfort just pissed me off, this upgrade completely took it away. This is the way an MYP should drive.

Here's what I have noticed in my "whole" hour and a half of driving my car back from the mechanic to work. I also went over every pothole, every manhole cap, every road imperfection and the new 23 comfort suspension handles them exactly how I'd like.
- that thump, metalicy squeaky noise, that you get when you go over a pothole, gone. Replaced by a deeper, more quality sounding noise. I don't know how to explain it but the noise is night and day. I used to have random little squeaks and bs. This car also drives much better than the 2022 standard MY I test drove before I bought my 22 MYP.
- rattle, my car used to rattle if I go over most little small imperfections, it's pretty much gone. You go over a bump, and now the car just takes it and goes about that day. I also have a whole set of tennis racquets, my gym bag, random tools, all sorts of stuff that used to make a lot of noise in the trunk, that settled down a whole lot. Very noticable
- comfort, I'd say the ride is about a 50% improvement, so pretty much night and day.
-performance, I couldn't feel any negatives, the car drives much better. On my way to work there is a highway with all sorts of bumps and imperfections, the on ramp is curved and extremely bumpy. I felt much more comfortable and confident driving on it.

I'll update this thread when I get some more insight. As of right now this is a no brainer, if you have a 22MY and under I'd say this is a requirement lol. The car rides WAY BETTER. I would go as far as to say it's a night and day difference. I don't know who the hell online is saying it's not a big difference or it's not worth it.

PS: About the springs.. I forgot to mention you do not need to purchase springs if upgrading from a 22MYP. The mechanic installed them anyways, but he said they were identical. So that would have brought my total cost down to around $1,100.
Sounds great! Have you driven a 23 Model Y and if so does your car now feel the same as that? The suspension setup on my 21 MYP have never bothered me, but I do acknowledge that it's pretty stiff, so maybe something like this is worth it to pursue after I'm out of warranty (soon) given the reasonable cost. I might test drive a 23 to see how I like it if that's fairly representative of what a 21/22 with comfort suspension installed feel like.

Sounds great! Have you driven a 23 Model Y and if so does your car now feel the same as that? The suspension setup on my 21 MYP have never bothered me, but I do acknowledge that it's pretty stiff, so maybe something like this is worth it to pursue after I'm out of warranty (soon) given the reasonable cost. I might test drive a 23 to see how I like it if that's fairly representative of what a 21/22 with comfort suspension installed feel like.
Never driven a 23MYP unforuntely, but would love to compare.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was debating going with the Tein shocks or updated Tesla suspension. I think your post helped me make up my mind I’m going with the 23 Long Range suspension upgrade as that is what I currently have. I’ll check the rear spring part number and decide if I have to buy. I test drove a 23 MY LR with 20” wheels and over serviced tires, and thought it was much better behaved. Thanks again, enjoy your new car. :)

Reactions: nencmeister
Update:

Differences:

Thanks for sharing. I have been looking to buy an X for air suspension. I have a 22 MYP and the ride is pretty harsh. I might do a lift kit at the same time as this. Did your shop do an alignment as well? Ive done some suspension work before but that was way back in the day on my old neon srt-4. If I dont need to compress springs I might give this a go myself. So no need for springs in the rear then?

Thanks for sharing. I have been looking to buy an X for air suspension. I have a 22 MYP and the ride is pretty harsh. I might do a lift kit at the same time as this. Did your shop do an alignment as well? Ive done some suspension work before but that was way back in the day on my old neon srt-4. If I dont need to compress springs I might give this a go myself. So no need for springs in the rear then?
The tech that installed the suspension said I didn't have to get an alignment and the car drives perfectly straight. My next planned alignment is this winter after I install my winter wheels / setup.

No joke, with the 23 comfort suspension, this rides just as good as a 2018 Model X. I was actually looking for an X before I picked up this Y but in early 2022 the wait was so long I gave up. As of yesterday I'm now happy I chose the y. You should really test drive a 23 MYP

Reactions: bpobill
I ordered the suspension from Tesla yesterday. She told me it will probably take 1-2 months to receive it. I did not order springs. Total is $620.00 Fingers crossed I will actually receive them.
Please keep us updated, where are you located.
You still looking to trade for a X or if you get a smoother ride with the new suspension will you stay with the Y?

Reactions: nencmeister
Did you go to the service center to order? Did they give you any grief??
Yes and yes. It was an odd exchange. She kept telling me im going to void my warranty and I said yes I understand if something breaks in regard to this being installed it wont be covered. She told me this like 5-10 times. She asked me a few times who's doing the install and I told her me and she gave me a look. I said its extremely easy, you are literally unbolting and bolting in the new pieces. You don't have to compress springs or anything. She wasn't saying all this because she didn't want to order these for me, she was just being weird. Its showing in my app as a service appointment so its been ordered.

Thanks.

Don't understand why they won't just let you buy the parts AND pay THEM to install. It's a win win for them. They make money off the parts and install and since you're simply putting an updated version of the identical part on the car the warranty would NOT be voided. I guess they are just trying to prevent a deluge of people coming in and flooding their service centers wanting swaps.

Thanks.

Don't understand why they won't just let you buy the parts AND pay THEM to install. It's a win win for them. They make money off the parts and install and since you're simply putting an updated version of the identical part on the car the warranty would NOT be voided. I guess they are just trying to prevent a deluge of people coming in and flooding their service centers wanting swaps.
This - and it would stop people moaning about the suspension.

I'm in the UK and I'm not aware of anyone that's had it done here, I may end up being the first! (2022 MY LR). Does anyone know if the China built cars are different in what can be done? It's a long shot asking, but my confidence isn't high in attempting this because it's something I've never done before (all my cars have been stock which ism pretty much the norm here)

Yes and yes. It was an odd exchange. She kept telling me im going to void my warranty and I said yes I understand if something breaks in regard to this being installed it wont be covered. She told me this like 5-10 times. She asked me a few times who's doing the install and I told her me and she gave me a look. I said its extremely easy, you are literally unbolting and bolting in the new pieces. You don't have to compress springs or anything. She wasn't saying all this because she didn't want to order these for me, she was just being weird. Its showing in my app as a service appointment so its been ordered.
Interesting. The techs never mentioned my warranty being voided for a simple suspension upgrade,, with teslas own parts, this makes zero sense. I don't think it's common protocol for them as of now so maybe she was misinformed. But we're paying you extra money, to fix your own issue. Also the difference between the 2020-2023 MYP are very minimal. CPU, suspension, lights and a few cosmetic changes is all I'm aware of, I don't know how upgrading the suspension to the 23 comfort would have any negative structural or engineering consequences at all.

Reactions: GOVA
Interesting. The techs never mentioned my warranty being voided for a simple suspension upgrade,, with teslas own parts, this makes zero sense. I don't think it's common protocol for them as of now so maybe she was misinformed. But we're paying you extra money, to fix your own issue. Also the difference between the 2020-2023 MYP are very minimal. CPU, suspension, lights and a few cosmetic changes is all I'm aware of, I don't know how upgrading the suspension to the 23 comfort would have any negative structural or engineering consequences at all.
If the part I install breaks something it wont be covered. It doesn't void the whole warranty. She didn't specify but i corrected her. I said If I install and something breaks I understand its not covered and she said yes. She was trying to scare me at first. Im not concerned, it should be an easy install.