Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250v adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My home has an existing 250v 50a outlet (please see picture)but I’m not finding any adapters to make use of it for model 3 charging. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 40C82D8F-BB3F-4647-8FB2-C80D11D460BA.jpeg
    40C82D8F-BB3F-4647-8FB2-C80D11D460BA.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 145
My home has an existing 250v 50a outlet (please see picture)but I’m not finding any adapters to make use of it for model 3 charging. Any suggestions?
I believe that is a 6-50? From memory.

Edit - yes, just double checked. Technically, it is 240v. The outlet is just rated to handle “up to” 250v.

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and SSedan
It should be easy and about $15 to change to a NEMA 14-50. Just turn off the breaker before you swap.
Not necessarily easy. A 6-50 does not have a neutral. A 14-50 does have a neutral.

Plug an RV into a 14-50 without a neutral and look for bad things to happen.

Buying the correct adapter is the safest solution. And only $20 more plus shipping. But no labor involved.

Can you provide a wider shot of the plug?

What size breaker is it on?

Optimally if you can send a picture of the panel with the cover off they would be good to try to figure out what gauge of wires it is using and home many conductors.

Most likely I would recommend replacing the receptacle with a new 6-50 perhaps depending on the wiring.

Not necessarily easy. A 6-50 does not have a neutral. A 14-50 does have a neutral.

Plug an RV into a 14-50 without a neutral and look for bad things to happen.

Buying the correct adapter is the safest solution. And only $20 more plus shipping. But no labor involved.
I agree the right adapter is the best route but I disagree that plugging in an RV would be bad. If the RV is expecting two 120v phases then nothing would happen, just no power. If they never had an RV the it is just a minor inconvenience as all EV charging stations would work on it as the neutral is not used.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I agree the right adapter is the best route but I disagree that plugging in an RV would be bad. If the RV is expecting two 120v phases then nothing would happen, just no power. If they never had an RV the it is just a minor inconvenience as all EV charging stations would work on it as the neutral is not used.

No. This is absolutely wrong.

Because of the way “split phase” 120/240v residential service works, if you plugged in an RV then the following would happen:

When you turn on the first 120v device nothing would happen. But then if you turn on a second 120v device on the opposite phase leg then both devices would get power, but if they were not identical load devices one would see over 120v of voltage and one would see less than 120v. This can damage or destroy things or start fires.

Go look up “loose neutral “ and see the bad things that can happen.

Hooking up a 14-50 receptacle with no neutral could be dangerous!

• Informative
No. This is absolutely wrong.

Because of the way “split phase” 120/240v residential service works, if you plugged in an RV then the following would happen:

When you turn on the first 120v device nothing would happen. But then if you turn on a second 120v device on the opposite phase leg then both devices would get power, but if they were not identical load devices one would see over 120v of voltage and one would see less than 120v. This can damage or destroy things or start fires.

Go look up “loose neutral “ and see the bad things that can happen.

Hooking up a 14-50 receptacle with no neutral could be dangerous!
You are absolutely right for cases when neutral is used by loads. Do you know for sure that UNC uses neutral? it looks like not:
NEMA 14-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1, 15 ft.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Many EV charging stations have a 6-50 plug.

As @eprosenx said, it isn’t a problem for a EV. But the next hone owner or the long lost uncle that visits in their RV may have issues. Just not worth it to me when an adapter is readily available.