TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

250v adapter?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Jhdrivin, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Jhdrivin

Jhdrivin New Member

My home has an existing 250v 50a outlet (please see picture)but I’m not finding any adapters to make use of it for model 3 charging. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

#2 brkaus, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    I believe that is a 6-50? From memory.

Edit - yes, just double checked. Technically, it is 240v. The outlet is just rated to handle “up to” 250v.

Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

• Informative x 2
  3. N54TT

N54TT Member

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

It should be easy and about $15 to change to a NEMA 14-50. Just turn off the breaker before you swap.

• Disagree x 5
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Not necessarily easy. A 6-50 does not have a neutral. A 14-50 does have a neutral.

Plug an RV into a 14-50 without a neutral and look for bad things to happen.

Buying the correct adapter is the safest solution. And only $20 more plus shipping. But no labor involved.

• Like x 4
  6. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Also....Make sure you know if there something else on that circuit.

7. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Can you provide a wider shot of the plug?

What size breaker is it on?

Optimally if you can send a picture of the panel with the cover off they would be good to try to figure out what gauge of wires it is using and home many conductors.

Most likely I would recommend replacing the receptacle with a new 6-50 perhaps depending on the wiring.

8. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I agree the right adapter is the best route but I disagree that plugging in an RV would be bad. If the RV is expecting two 120v phases then nothing would happen, just no power. If they never had an RV the it is just a minor inconvenience as all EV charging stations would work on it as the neutral is not used.

• Disagree x 1
  9. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

No. This is absolutely wrong.

Because of the way “split phase” 120/240v residential service works, if you plugged in an RV then the following would happen:

When you turn on the first 120v device nothing would happen. But then if you turn on a second 120v device on the opposite phase leg then both devices would get power, but if they were not identical load devices one would see over 120v of voltage and one would see less than 120v. This can damage or destroy things or start fires.

Go look up “loose neutral “ and see the bad things that can happen.

Hooking up a 14-50 receptacle with no neutral could be dangerous!

• Informative x 1
  10. BestHand

BestHand Member

You are absolutely right for cases when neutral is used by loads. Do you know for sure that UNC uses neutral? it looks like not:
    NEMA 14-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1, 15 ft.

• Like x 1
  11. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

The UMC does not use the neutral at all. So the receptacle would be perfectly safe for use by an EV. The danger comes in when the next owner plugs in their RV.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Many EV charging stations have a 6-50 plug.

As @eprosenx said, it isn’t a problem for a EV. But the next hone owner or the long lost uncle that visits in their RV may have issues. Just not worth it to me when an adapter is readily available.

• Like x 1