Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250wh per pile to get performance rated range of 315 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sure what you are asking. The Hankooks were in a 235/45/18 size. However, I have tried 245/40/18 Pirelli tires which were actually more efficient than the 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires but not anywhere near as efficient as the 235/45/18 Hankook all season tires.

Tread width doesn’t affect efficiency a lot. Tread composition and design matter the most for efficiency.
I was looking at these because they are a good price, I saw some Tesla drivers leaving reviews for them saying they were a good tire esp for the price

They are all season 20 inch

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 22
The EPA ratings themselves don’t make sense. Because if you look it up on the EPA website they quote the 3 Performance as using 30 kWh/100 mi aka 300 Wh/mi combined. Which translates to approximately ~271 mi assuming ~81 kWh usable battery.
The EPA counts the amount of energy used from the grid. It includes the charging losses. The car reports energy taken out of the battery as you drive. That's why the EPA numbers and the car's numbers don't match. Both are correct in their own way.

Only loosely related, but I paid attention to the load preconditioning puts on yesterday. I drove 17 miles to a Supercharger and let the car precondition the whole way. Wh/mi peaked at 550 Wh/mi on the way up and the % battery dropped far faster than normal. On the return trip home, no change in elevation or temperature, I average 215 Wh/mi, surprisingly low. So far I am average 254 Wh/mi in combined driving (more city than highway).

OTOH when I started charging I was getting 205 kW, that's quite a bit higher than the 125 kW peak I've gotten when I didn't precondition.

Only loosely related, but I paid attention to the load preconditioning puts on yesterday. I drove 17 miles to a Supercharger and let the car precondition the whole way. Wh/mi peaked at 550 Wh/mi on the way up and the % battery dropped far faster than normal. On the return trip home, no change in elevation or temperature, I average 215 Wh/mi, surprisingly low. So far I am average 254 Wh/mi in combined driving (more city than highway).

OTOH when I started charging I was getting 205 kW, that's quite a bit higher than the 125 kW peak I've gotten when I didn't precondition.
Preconditioning can be more energy efficient when there is more time. If the car can use the heat pump using the ambient air as energy source, it can push 4 kW of heat into the battery, while only using 1 kW for the compressor. But if it doesn't have enough time, it will use the motors (running them inefficiently to produce waste heat). This heats the battery up faster but it less efficient. Using the motors is basically a resistive heater which uses 4 kW from the battery to produce 4 kW of heating power.

I think that's why the car sometimes starts preconditioning far in advance. 2 weeks ago I saw it starting to precondition 45 min ahead of time.

Reactions: Midpack
OP I'm surprised no one mentionned that before (unless I missed it), but the alignment has an important impact on efficiency. setting the toe to be at 0 in front and just a slight toe in at the rear will help. Not sure if your car was ever aligned ?

Also a lot of talks about efficiency here with tires, but how does this Hankook handle emergency braking and handling. If it's as bad as the MXM4 or worse it's scary. The MXM4 is incredibly poor as far as braking. Usually most of those low rolling resistance tire are. Are you willing to compromise safety for a few wh/min ?
When I had MXM4 on my 3 braking was as bad if not worse than a 1/2 ton truck... (Not that it matters for braking distances but I have MPP big brakes on mine)

OP I'm surprised no one mentionned that before (unless I missed it), but the alignment has an important impact on efficiency. setting the toe to be at 0 in front and just a slight toe in at the rear will help. Not sure if your car was ever aligned ?

Also a lot of talks about efficiency here with tires, but how does this Hankook handle emergency braking and handling. If it's as bad as the MXM4 or worse it's scary. The MXM4 is incredibly poor as far as braking. Usually most of those low rolling resistance tire are. Are you willing to compromise safety for a few wh/min ?
When I had MXM4 on my 3 braking was as bad if not worse than a 1/2 ton truck... (Not that it matters for braking distances but I have MPP big brakes on mine)
A few WH is the only difference between EV tires and regular tires? If that’s the case I’ll get Toyo’s

Maybe a bit of misleading hyperbole there, eh?

1/2 ton trucks don’t stop anywhere near as quickly as the Model 3 LR on MXMs:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/

Yeah it's an hyperbole but not so far from truth...

172 ft vs 187ft @70mph ... Not a huge difference.

My corvette does it in 129FT from 70mph so obviously I was horrified first time I stepped on the pedal on the Tesla with MXM4... and we are only talking about 70mph here...

PS4S makes a big difference. 147FT instead of 172FT. Running CC2 in winter now, I would say closer to PS4S than MXM4 in braking, but efficiency is not as good.

Anyway, those Hankook obviously seem to be great for efficiency but yeah would like to see a braking test and how well they fare vs mileage, as low rolling resistance tires also wear very fast in average. With aggressive alignment ( I run AutoX and did not want to change alignment all the time) my MXM4 were done in 12,000 miles.

Yeah it's an hyperbole but not so far from truth...

172 ft vs 187ft @70mph ... Not a huge difference.

My corvette does it in 129FT from 70mph so obviously I was horrified first time I stepped on the pedal on the Tesla with MXM4... and we are only talking about 70mph here...

PS4S makes a big difference. 147FT instead of 172FT. Running CC2 in winter now, I would say closer to PS4S than MXM4 in braking, but efficiency is not as good.

Anyway, those Hankook obviously seem to be great for efficiency but yeah would like to see a braking test and how well they fare vs mileage, as low rolling resistance tires also wear very fast in average. With aggressive alignment ( I run AutoX and did not want to change alignment all the time) my MXM4 were done in 12,000 miles.
You just have unrealistic expectations coming from a Corvette.

173 ft from 70mph is considered solid results from an all season on a sedan (as per review of Accord below).
Camry takes 176 ft.

There's nothing dangerous about this, you just leave the appropriate following distance.