Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25k 2nd Year Service $750.. Wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of going through older posts on how people handled scheduled service. I have a long commute and drive a lot of miles. I did the first service 10-11 months after I got the car, with 22k miles on the car. I have 42k on it now (20 months since delivery) and want to schedule another one in the next few weeks. I am dreading losing the warranty, and want to get the car serviced with some time to spare before the warranty expires. Leaning towards not getting the extended warranty.
I guess I will have to do the 3 year package and review what from the 2 year package I might have to add a la carte (or vice vesa).

Just wondering how long the original poster had to wait to get their car in for this service? We read about people going in for warranty work and the car sits there for weeks before even being looked at, I wonder if you get bumped up the queue when you have to pay?

I just did this myself. Hurt like hell because I knew nothing challenging would be done. But for extended "warranty" purposes, I thought it made sense to do. I also got the first service for free since I had so many issues early on, so that helped I guess.

I am in the process of going through older posts on how people handled scheduled service. I have a long commute and drive a lot of miles. I did the first service 10-11 months after I got the car, with 22k miles on the car. I have 42k on it now (20 months since delivery) and want to schedule another one in the next few weeks. I am dreading losing the warranty, and want to get the car serviced with some time to spare before the warranty expires. Leaning towards not getting the extended warranty.
I guess I will have to do the 3 year package and review what from the 2 year package I might have to add a la carte (or vice vesa).

I did the "year 1" service at about 10 months and 25k miles, mostly because I had other warranty work I wanted done and they comped the annual service due to some other issues.

I did the "year 2" service at about 20 months and 48k miles, mostly because I had a couple warranty things I wanted fixed before the warranty expired and wanted the car to have a thorough and documented once-over before then. Plugged my nose and swallowed the $750 fee for this one.

I'm now at 28 months and 70k, and have no plans to bring the car back for an annual service any time soon. I'll find the time to change my own key fob batteries and wiper blades.

FWIW, I skipped the extended warranty. Just don't see the value at the rate I accumulate miles. So far so good, knock on wood.

• Informative
Reactions: Langhorne
I have to admit I'm upset with the service cost. I'm sure to some who buy the car new for 100k an $750 service is no biggy, but now the cost of MS in CPO are more reasonable, people like me are buying used MS (2014 P85+ with every option for 44k) I watched a lot a video about how great Tesla are and how much I'll save buy lower fuel cost and no servics cost.

But this is a lie, my MS has 52k Miles and needs a $750 service as the day I sign my paperwork hopeful this Friday.

needs a $750 service

This is the first trap I'd advise you not to fall into. The car very likely doesn't "need" service.

That said, I know people are all up in arms, but a brake fluid change, AC recharge, and alignment at any other luxury dealer is going to cost the same. They don't care if you paid $100k or $40k for the car either.

But if one of the selling points is no maintenance cost, then you are hit with a $750 service fee don't seem right.

The Tesla service tec gave me the paperwork showing the cost and years due, so where dose it say I'll still get my 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, and 8 year powertrain warranty if I don't do these services?

But if one of the selling points is no maintenance cost, then you are hit with a $750 service fee don't seem right.
That is a very valid point, the BMW in our house has three years free servicing (I know it's not truly free, it's built in to the sale price somewhere), but that includes all fluids, everything, doesn't cost one cent.
If it is $750 USD, that is over $1K where I am with currency conversion, I'm not even going to ask what the final cost might be as we normally add another 25-50% to US prices.

My MS was 18 months old when I had the "big" service done at almost 50k miles. I specifically asked for the following services when talking to the service advisor: transaxle oil changes (dual motor,) coolant change, brake fluid change, A/C desiccant bag change, cabin air filter change and alignment. All the services that used to be listed under the 4th annual service. They said everything would be done "as a one time courtesy at customer request" and would not be done in the future. I guess unless I paid for them separately.

And yes, my key batteries and my wipers were also included in the $850 service. I do not plan to pay for the "annual service" in the future if it does not include any actual services.

This was also the biggest reason why I did not buy an extended warranty. Because while the "recommended" maintenance is not "required," it is "required" to maintain extended warranty coverage, so on top of the really high cost of the warranty you have the high cost of annual service that does not actually include anything other than wiper blades and inspections. And because I drive over 30k miles per year, I would have to pay for four annual services to get only about 1.5 years of warranty coverage.

Last edited:
This is the first trap I'd advise you not to fall into. The car very likely doesn't "need" service.

That said, I know people are all up in arms, but a brake fluid change, AC recharge, and alignment at any other luxury dealer is going to cost the same. They don't care if you paid $100k or $40k for the car either.

I don't know about other luxury dealers but I actually think my BMW dealer charges a fair price for these services. I typically pay $120 for a brake fluid change and $170 for alignment (usually have a coupon for this, so lower.) Tesla annual service does not include an A/C recharge, which is not typically needed unless you have an issue. My 550i was about the same price as my MS.